Toast Our undermanned defence

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Bews Blicavs Stewart
HB: Tuohy Henry Kolodjashnij

No Taylor, no Henderson

Although letting in the 3rd most i50s, we are 4th best at letting goals in and 5th best at allowing marks inside D50.

One of the real highlights of 2018.

It's a very Sydney style defence.

We've had great back lines with star defenders but the Swans over the last 10 years or so have always had a solid but unspectacular back six that looks undersized but over the journey just gets the job done.

Grundy, Rampe, Nick Smith, Richards, Bolton, Barry, Dempster etc.

No superstars back there for us at the moment but the sum of the parts have been very effective.

Blicavs is a more than competent key defender. Surely this becomes his permanent position now? Stewart is just ridiculous.
The problem would be when Hendo and Taylor are back. I don't think we want to go back to playing 3 big defenders along with Kolo, and I'm assuming that means Blicavs goes back to doing whatever. Selection will be interesting when we get some players back, but for now lets just hope he keeps improving!

The problem would be when Hendo and Taylor are back. I don't think we want to go back to playing 3 big defenders along with Kolo, and I'm assuming that means Blicavs goes back to doing whatever. Selection will be interesting when we get some players back, but for now lets just hope he keeps improving!

It doesn't sound all that promising on Henderson.

B: Bews Blicavs Kolo
HB: Tuohy Taylor Stewart

Lock it in.

Don't worry about that, let's just enjoy Plan B- The defensive rebuild- whatever you'd like to call it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this on another thread during the week and is a great wrap for our defence (please remember these stats are after round 4). This is one leaderboard I'm glad none of our players are on:

Jones leads the unwanted “Reverse Coleman” award after Round 4, having had 21 goals kicked on him by direct opponents so far this season. Richmond’s David Astbury (13 goals) coming in second and Gold Coast’s Steven May and West Coast’s Tom Barrass (both 12 goals) are equal third, according to Champion Data.

2018 Reverse Coleman
Player, Club, Goals conceded
Liam Jones, Carlton, 21
David Astbury, Richmond, 13
Steven May, Gold Coast, 12
Tom Barrass, West Coast, 12
Jacob Weitering, Carlton, 11
Connor Blakely, Fremantle, 11
Tom Clurey, Port Adelaide, 9
Nathan Brown, St Kilda, 7
Lynden Dunn, Collingwood, 7
Jeremy Howe, Collingwood, 7

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...8/news-story/6d07f443a5ab26da431a632f038f1be7

Bews just sucked the heart out of Port tonight . Stopped a couple of goals that looked like mere formalities for them.
Blitz is the perfect FB for where the game is right now. He can get back and block the space before anyone else.
That last grasp touch from Bews to stop what should have been a certain goal was brilliant - too often over recent seasons it feels like we just haven't had a player get back to get a touch on the ball, and just allowing an easy goal. It was great to see someone get back and get a hand on that ball tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back