Toast Our undermanned defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Tuohy a real weak link imo
Definitely the most ignorant comment on this thread. Do you know anything about the game. This guy has sacrificed his natural game for the good of the side. He IS the glue down there that allows Stewart and other to play a more natural game for THEM. Bews good example has taken him a LONG time to be an effective backline player. Personally I like 2E with a more attacking role but that is NOT his role at the present time. Consequently his stats are down but this is only because of his part in the backline cohesion. So have a closer look instead of making a silly comment!

Definitely the most ignorant comment on this thread. Do you know anything about the game. This guy has sacrificed his natural game for the good of the side. He IS the glue down there that allows Stewart and other to play a more natural game for THEM. Bews good example has taken him a LONG time to be an effective backline player. Personally I like 2E with a more attacking role but that is NOT his role at the present time. Consequently his stats are down but this is only because of his part in the backline cohesion. So have a closer look instead of making a silly comment!
Well said.
I knew we'd agree 100% on something sooner or later.;)

Nah dont care for the stats. Shits the bed under pressure

8 days ago you said
"List is solid. The main struggle with scott is development of our talent"

In the 8 days since then you have slammed 9 players out of the 45 on our list.

PS, some of them more than once.

PS, some of whom you have never seen play.
I have another stalker i see :rolleyes:
Creepy

I know you just can't name them all. But Gardner House and Black. They have to give them a go some time soon to see how they go at AFL level. As if another key defender in Blitz or Kolo we have to see where there at.
And before you say anything and say there not up to it and don't deserve it. Do think Zuthrie and Henry were knocking down the door.. No....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DEFENCE.png

- 4th for preventing goals once inside D50.
- 17th for Inside 50s conceded.
- 18th for scores conceded
- 18th for preventing scores once inside D50.
- 1st for opposition score accuracy.

Would love to see a map of where opposition shots are being taken from. Do they even record that?
Simple fix to minimise scores would be to win in the middle. We need to start winning some clearances.

bump.

Loving the balance and versatility of the back group at the moment; Blicavs had a really good night against the Giants, while Stewart, Kolodjashnij and Bews are genuinely good defensive players - Stewart the best counter-attacker of that group, but I'm always confident when watching that any of those three are capable of minimizing the damage of opposition forward thrusts and neutralizing dangerous contests. All 3 are really good one-on-one players, particularly Stewart and Bews.

It's going to be interesting to see how the club tries to reintegrate Harry Taylor and particularly Lachie Henderson when they become available. Henderson is a very solid KD when fit, but if Blicavs continues to nail down a KD role he has the added ability to run KF's off their feet and link up further up the ground as a result.

I’m not sure how Taylor comes back into this group.
Henry has created a fantastic role down there with his intercept marking and Blicavs has finally found his best position.
Can’t **** up that balance but Taylor is too good not to bring back...
VFL beckons?
ZGuthrie may miss.
Henry is fantastic- possible nomination this week for Rising Star.
Maybe Harry goes back, and Blic can do a run-with role v one of the many Pies guns that have troubled us.

I’m not sure how Taylor comes back into this group.
Henry has created a fantastic role down there with his intercept marking and Blicavs has finally found his best position.
Can’t **** up that balance but Taylor is too good not to bring back...
Can Henry play smaller while still peeling off his opponent to intercept at times? Only thing that really occurs to me.

Back in the good old days... 07-11 - players like Scarlo, Dasher, Boris, Harley, Domsy would all do one thing consistently.. a pillar of what their defensive play was built on.

Playing the ball first.

Before they worried about their man, the zone, the space they are in - which they did plenty of and did it well - they played the ball. Be it on the ground or in the air, they saw it, tracked it, judged it and put their body in the best position to get it.

Bews, Henry, Stewart, Thurlow and Kolo in particular last night and even most of this season are doing this with aplomb. Building then on this, they are able to mark, compete, spoil, gather and attack. Look at the number of times they run straight at the pill and put their body in the path to make the most effect. Its awesome to watch.

There is no surprise to me AT ALL that Scarlo and Boris are coaching them. I can pay these blokes out there in the 24, 38, 44, 40 and 8 no higher praise than drawing the playing style comparison.

Well done to them and the blokes teaching them.

Not all ex players make great coaches. I shouldn't be surprised that Scarlo and Boris have been able to get their message across so well.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Superb today

Kolo has really cemented his place now. I think he is just steadily improving as he builds confidence. I can see him down there for years to come.

Blitz has found his spot, as many have said. And Henry, just super from a kid in his sixth game.

I do think Zuth is was very scratchy today, and Thurlow is still finding his way back - but I am confident they will both improve.

Amazing how well it has come together, really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back