Toast Our undermanned defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Crameri was very good but I don't think he's good enough to keep Taylor/Hendo from playing forward IMO

Obviously not playing our best KPD in defense is stupid but I don't want to repeat the mistake of being too tall at either end of the ground.

Hawkins looks like missing the Collingwood game. Is Menzel returning for Rd8? Will Gaz return? SavRat is playing so well! Who plays with SavRat in our Forward line? I'd like to see Crameri get a few games to play into form. Two goals was a good performance, the basics will come with more games to clear away the cobwebs. I'd like to see Ablett + Dangerfield rotating through the Forward line. Someone needs to play Hawkins' role, which assists Menzel's game.

Hawkins looks like missing the Collingwood game. Is Menzel returning for Rd8? Will Gaz return? SavRat is playing so well! Who plays with SavRat in our Forward line? I'd like to see Crameri get a few games to play into form. Two goals was a good performance, the basics will come with more games to clear away the cobwebs. I'd like to see Ablett + Dangerfield rotating through the Forward line. Someone needs to play Hawkins' role, which assists Menzel's game.
I wouldn't drop Sav for love nor money.

Taylor has the flexibility to play Hawkins role IMO.

HT will play back. Henry goes out.
Henry has been phenomenal. But he wont keep an AA defender on the bench.

Henry will get his rewards. A new deal, a raise and the first call if anyone in the back 6 goes out again.

I have no issue dropping him for HT. And not to mention that his effort may accelerate HT being moved along eventually.

GO Catters
Not Zuthrie?

I wouldn't drop Sav for love nor money.

Taylor has the flexibility to play Hawkins role IMO.
No way! Absolutely no way! SavRat has cemented his spot!

With Danger’s injury cloud, I think he goes forward. Zuthrie our for Taylor.

No point changing the backline too much when it’s become cohesive.

No way! Absolutely no way! SavRat has cemented his spot!

With Danger’s injury cloud, I think he goes forward. Zuthrie our for Taylor.

No point changing the backline too much when it’s become cohesive.
I know it's a headache but we have to fit Taylor into the side.

Not fit the side for Taylor.

Our back 6 has just been too good to chop and change.

That’s what I thought with Zuthrie out for Taylor.

But with Tomahawk out, you could be right, Taylor forward, not sure I like that though.

That’s what I thought with Zuthrie out for Taylor.

But with Tomahawk out, you could be right, Taylor forward, not sure I like that though.
I like the idea of Zuthrie out in general!

No one can replace Hawkins in our setup IMO but Taylor would be the best bet with Henderson injured IMO.

I like this comment and it should apply to all the seniors missing... especially GA. He wanted a successful side to finish his career..he just watched us demolish GWS without him.. being told NO you a re not playing ..hopefully he is being made aware that its long term that counts...and I mean LONG term ..not just Sept this year. There is a spot for him but the vibe of youth that is so impressive must not be stifled by the return of mature experience. They must fit into the side etc. and if not its Tim McGrath time till you are needed.

I like this comment and it should apply to all the seniors missing... especially GA. He wanted a successful side to finish his career..he just watched us demolish GWS without him.. being told NO you a re not playing ..hopefully he is being made aware that its long term that counts...and I mean LONG term ..not just Sept this year. There is a spot for him but the vibe of youth that is so impressive must not be stifled by the return of mature experience. They must fit into the side etc. and if not its Tim McGrath time till you are needed.
Extremely well said.

I think they should give harry another week, and i’d say they will. Don’t want that foot flaring up again. And i don’t like the risk of bringing gaz and ht back the same week. If they both get re-injured early in the game we are stuffed.

But i doubt harry would be ready this week any way if he has just got back to full training. Im sure they would want him to train more than that.

Going at 23.8 a game atm.

weak link indeed. o_O

GO Catters
I cringe when people use basic stats as a measure of performance. I've watched enough of Tuohy to know that under pressure he can be a liability. A few Cartlon supporting mates warned me about it too.
Definitely the most ignorant comment on this thread. Do you know anything about the game. This guy has sacrificed his natural game for the good of the side. He IS the glue down there that allows Stewart and other to play a more natural game for THEM. Bews good example has taken him a LONG time to be an effective backline player. Personally I like 2E with a more attacking role but that is NOT his role at the present time. Consequently his stats are down but this is only because of his part in the backline cohesion. So have a closer look instead of making a silly comment!
Ignorance is assuming it's false based purely on disposal numbers. Tuohy plays well when linking up and using his foot skills to his advantage (even then he can be hit and miss at times) and relies on the midfield getting back in numbers to chop him out. he's not good one on one and he certainly isn't a defender in the true sense.
Nah dont care for the stats. Shits the bed under pressure
He does. It's not a fallacy.

HT will play back. Henry goes out.
Henry has been phenomenal. But he wont keep an AA defender on the bench.

Henry will get his rewards. A new deal, a raise and the first call if anyone in the back 6 goes out again.

I have no issue dropping him for HT. And not to mention that his effort may accelerate HT being moved along eventually.

GO Catters
That sends the wrong message imo. You can't drop players in form. Some lose confidence entirely if sent back to VFL level after a good performance. He's improving each week and feeling comfortable at this level ... he needs to be retained to keep building on it. The only way you can drop him now is If he has a poor game or two.

I said Taylor can't come back through the VFL but that's probably the only option given how our defense has performed. Unless they want to use him up forward given Menzel is sore and the likely suspension of Hawkins for scratching the polish off an umpires nail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cringe when people use basic stats as a measure of performance. I've watched enough of Tuohy to know that under pressure he can be a liability. A few Cartlon supporting mates warned me about it too.

Ignorance is assuming it's false based purely on disposal numbers. Tuohy plays well when linking up and using his foot skills to his advantage (even then he can be hit and miss at times) and relies on the midfield getting back in numbers to chop him out. he's not good one on one and he certainly isn't a defender in the true sense.

He does. It's not a fallacy.

That sends the wrong message imo. You can't drop players in form. Some lose confidence entirely if sent back to VFL level after a good performance. He's improving each week and feeling comfortable at this level ... he needs to be retained to keep building on it. The only way you can drop him now is If he has a poor game or two.

I said Taylor can't come back through the VFL but that's probably the only option given how our defense has performed. Unless they want to use him up forward given Menzel is sore and the likely suspension of Hawkins for scratching the polish off an umpires nail.

I was pretty clear - at least I thought I was - that omitting Henry for HT is not a knock on Henry. You are right about how some players have to be encouraged if sent back or they lose confidence.
I think its pretty understandable to say that Zuthrie gets dropped on performance - he was and has been poor - and Henry goes out because our best AA KPD is available. The words to him would also be that if he plays like he has been in the VFL he'll be back in no time. And truth be told, you could even rest Henry after 6 on the trot if the psychology is important and bring HT in and then he might come back the following week.

And if HT's Plantar Fasciaitis flares again Henry is back in the fold.

I dont think its as gloomy a change as you assert but hey I also dont know Henry and maybe he's as fragile as you suggest - although given the way he's played I havent seen anything to suggest he is. He's been enormous putting his body in the line of fire.

GO Catters

I was pretty clear - at least I thought I was - that omitting Henry for HT is not a knock on Henry. You are right about how some players have to be encouraged if sent back or they lose confidence.
I think its pretty understandable to say that Zuthrie gets dropped on performance - he was and has been poor - and Henry goes out because our best AA KPD is available. The words to him would also be that if he plays like he has been in the VFL he'll be back in no time. And truth be told, you could even rest Henry after 6 on the trot if the psychology is important and bring HT in and then he might come back the following week.

And if HT's Plantar Fasciaitis flares again Henry is back in the fold.

I dont think its as gloomy a change as you assert but hey I also dont know Henry and maybe he's as fragile as you suggest - although given the way he's played I havent seen anything to suggest he is. He's been enormous putting his body in the line of fire.

GO Catters
I'm pretty confident when I say Henry won't be dropped this week.

I think henderson is the one the affects our balance. Tall and slowish. Cant play kpd. Our backline is much more balanced with him out

I still think Harry is a better option than Blitz at CHB, especially given that our defensive midfield coverage has been terrible at times.

I still think Harry is a better option than Blitz at CHB, especially given that our defensive midfield coverage has been terrible at times.
Harry is one of the best CHB in modern AFL history so he probably is the best option but Blicavs has not put a foot wrong.

Our defensive game in midfield is concerning yes.

Taylor is old and coming back from injury he has to prove himself, dont drop a kid who is playing well. When he has a 25 disposal 15 mark game in the 2's and Henry has an average game then you swap them over.

Taylor is old and coming back from injury he has to prove himself, dont drop a kid who is playing well. When he has a 25 disposal 15 mark game in the 2's and Henry has an average game then you swap them over.
The way i see it, harry has to get through a full game first before he comes back in. Plantar fascia has the potential to flare up pretty easily i would imagine, so its a bit risky sending him straight back in to firsts. Better off slowly building him back up in the 2’s where they can limit his game time. Especially after being out for 6 weeks.

The way i see it, harry has to get through a full game first before he comes back in.
I've heard Taylor doesn't agree with your assessment, he thinks the match simulation practice in training has been enough for him to come straight back into the AFL side.

I've heard Taylor doesn't agree with your assessment, he thinks the match simulation practice in training has been enough for him to come straight back into the AFL side.
No comparison to a full speed afl match though surely. The players always say there is no other way to build full match fitness than to play a full game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back