VFL Our VFL team - whats the future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
So it was a staff change.

The AFLW side remains unchanged.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What if the VFL is shelved for this?

1597972162743.png

Could we see a draft of 17 year olds for an under 19's competition as a feedstock for AFL lists? Could this under 19's comp be utilised for future AFL team structure training?

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ok, so I've just fired off an email to info@nmfc.com.au. I've raised for Attn of Ben Amarfio whose direct email I don't have, so if somebody on here has that I'll double down and fire off the same copy.

If we want to up the stakes here, we need to at least let them know our thoughts as members. I've just stuck to the topic of the Reserves and the Reserves only as this will have a better chance of being respected and responded to as far as the club is concerned, imo.
I have done likewise.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Ok, so I've just fired off an email to info@nmfc.com.au. I've raised for Attn of Ben Amarfio whose direct email I don't have, so if somebody on here has that I'll double down and fire off the same copy.

If we want to up the stakes here, we need to at least let them know our thoughts as members. I've just stuck to the topic of the Reserves and the Reserves only as this will have a better chance of being respected and responded to as far as the club is concerned, imo.

You're the real deal Groggster. :thumbsu:

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
So it was a staff change.

The AFLW side remains unchanged.
Read it again. Crocker takes over from November 1 - meaning we don't currently have an AFLW coach. They've given it to Crocker notionally for the optics.

We laid off all of the VFL staff because there is no competition this year, and we don't know when or if there will be one again. That is prudent. We laid off the AFLW coach and won't have one until November, when - if - pre-season starts.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Read it again. Crocker takes over from November 1 - meaning we don't currently have an AFLW coach. They've given it to Crocker notionally for the optics.

We laid off all of the VFL staff because there is no competition this year, and we don't know when or if there will be one again. That is prudent. We laid off the AFLW coach and won't have one until November, when - if - pre-season starts.

I understand what has happened.

The fact of the matter is, we laid off more coaches in the middle of the mens AFL season than we did for the AFLW side.

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

The fact of the matter is, we laid off more coaches in the middle of the mens AFL season than we did for the AFLW side.
If the VFL was cancelled for this year, what were we expected to do with the VFL staff? Pay them to watch Netflix?

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
If the VFL was cancelled for this year, what were we expected to do with the VFL staff? Pay them to watch Netflix?

What is your point? We didn't only just make VFL coaches redundant, we made cross over AFL line coaches redundant.

I have no issue with standing down the VFL staff. But we haven't done that have we?

We've made the mens VFL side redundant and abolished it along with all staff. Do you understand the concept of redundancy and what it means legally?

You are trying to compare the abolition of the VFL side, all staff, including cross over AFL development coaches like Whitecross and Rivers with a coaching change to Darren Crocker during the AFLW offseason, who assumes the reigns during their pre-season and has every intention of coaching the side as normal in 2021?

How is that at all comparable?

Remembering that North entered a new side into the VFLW competition in 2020 if it was to run normally.

I have seen absolutely no mention of this programme being abolished for the 2021 season, so at this stage we have to assume they have kept the VFLW side at the moment as well as the AFLW side but abolished the VFL mens side including all staff and players.......

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
What is your point? We didn't only just make VFL coaches redundant, we made cross over AFL line coaches redundant.

I have no issue with standing down the VFL staff. But we haven't done that have we?

We've made the mens VFL side redundant and abolished it along with all staff. Do you understand the concept of redundancy and what it means legally?

You are trying to compare the abolition of the VFL side, all staff, including cross over AFL development coaches like Whitecross and Rivers with a coaching change to Darren Crocker during the AFLW offseason, who assumes the reigns during their pre-season and has every intention of coaching the side as normal in 2021?

How is that at all comparable?

Remembering that North entered a new side into the VFLW competition in 2020 if it was to run normally.

I have seen absolutely no mention of this programme being abolished for the 2021 season, so at this stage we have to assume they have kept the VFLW side at the moment as well as the AFLW side but abolished the VFL mens side including all staff and players.......
The point I am trying to make is that there is no VFL this season, there is significant uncertainty about whether there will be a VFL next year and significant uncertainty about the size of AFL lists next year, which impacts on how additional fit players there will be each week. All of which makes the decision to cancel the VFL program for this year a wise one, certainly wiser than keeping people on board and paying them for months on end just in case it is back on.
And there is nothing in the Fair Work Act which prohibits us from re-hiring the same people to do the same positions, because at the time they were make redundant, the VFL program was genuinely shut down.

Remember that no AFL club has a VFL program this year. Also remember that most clubs laid off AFL coaches, whether they be line coaches, skills coaches, development coaches. We weren't the only ones.

The only reason it's been conflated with the resumption of AFLW is there are a bunch of virtue-signalling middle-aged dudes who refuse to see the strategic importance of women's footy, and instead think it's some kind of zero-sum game.

I have done likewise.
Don’t waste your time. They don’t respond or even have a staff member acknowledge your email (in before stop wasting their time and let them do their jobs)🙄
Funnily enough their job is to respond to our concerns

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Everyone would!

If they turned around and were honest with the members and said we needed $600k to help keep the VFL alive in 2021 and started a funding drive, we would get it done inside of a week........

It's pretty naive to think 10,000 members would tip in $50 in the current economic climate for a reserves team. The only way the club raises $600k right now is if the top 10 net-worth supporters donate $550k.

It's a bit of a stretch to refer to the current VFL competition as "history and tradition" in my opinion. It is a bastardization of the VFA and the Reserves.
Yeah lots of former VFA clubs that have history and tradition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Money has got nothing to do with whether football can be played in Victoria in 2021. If we are still where we are today and our AFL team is playing out of QLD, there won't be a VFL comp or a reserves competition regardless of Gil's pay packet.

If COVID isn't sorted to some degree I doubt there will be any footy next year.

It's pretty naive to think 10,000 members would tip in $50 in the current economic climate for a reserves team. The only way the club raises $600k right now is if the top 10 net-worth supporters donate $550k.

Maybe, maybe not.
If the club came out and said:
OPTION A ‘we need to raise $600k for a stand-alone Reserves team‘ or OPTION B ‘$300k for a local alignment with a Preston/Coburg’ etc
OPTION C is ‘no team at all’ with OPTION D being some form of a ‘Tassie Kangaroos Reserves side’.
I'd definitely put money in as would many others and, despite the current economic climate, I think that a reasonable amount of money could be raised. Some input from the higher net-worth supporters would also help and would likely be required.

Option A would obviously be ideal on many levels, B could be ok-to-good depending on the actual alignment, C would be a disaster for the development of our young players and D would be disaster on almost every level.

The AFLW side had five coaching staff. Gowans who coached the A/VFLW side, three line coaches (forwards, backs and mids) and an individual development coach. At least one has been laid off and while someone else (Crocker) is available to do the job what makes you sure they are doing it for the money Gowans was? Or even any more money than they get as a scout? And what makes you sure all four of those other staff are coming back when the women start their pre season? (If they do.)

Try ben.amarfio@nmfc.com.au

Has the club officially announced that we are not fielding NMFC VFL Side next year? No Bull? I mean Chadwiko? :stern look

This.

Looks to me like a bunch of folks have taken one media report that itself draws a long bow and used it to run screaming into the forest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back