VFL Our VFL team - whats the future?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I find it hard to believe that non-AFL clubs will be able to afford this kind of competition unless it gets significant media coverage. Which it won't.

What odds the AFL clubs in this comp are funded by the AFL anyway?

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I find it hard to believe that non-AFL clubs will be able to afford this kind of competition unless it gets significant media coverage. Which it won't.

It probably looks good on paper but doesn't work out in practice, in true Brad Scott style.
Its actually a hybrid comp. Teams will physically play against teams in their home state only. For games against interstate teams it'll be an e-games set up.

$$$$

Smart man that Bradley. Easy fixes.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
FWIW, in the past 24 hours, Richmond have withdrawn their VFLW side for 2021 and West Coast have said they'll probably abandon their WAFL side, which lasted precisely one year.

FWIW, in the past 24 hours, Richmond have withdrawn their VFLW side for 2021 and West Coast have said they'll probably abandon their WAFL side, which lasted precisely one year.

Must be devious politically motivated types on the West Coast board to ditch the WAFL side while keeping their W side.

Probably that noted cultural Marxist Justin Langer behind this.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Must be devious politically motivated types on the West Coast board to ditch the WAFL side while keeping their W side.

Probably that noted cultural Marxist Justin Langer behind this.
I believe it's only for this year for WC, due to the AFL not allowing contracted players to play in the WAFL.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I work for a living champ I’m one of the lucky ones that still has a job that supports his club should try it mate might let you see what’s going on in life.
Then too those I’m Paul Crapper I’m not but I work for people like him and worse then him.
Plus iv met him thru people I work for and he has passion for North but unfortunately the guy I wish would step up is promoting his new wine atm and is about to go to the UAE to coach 20/20 cricket.

I don’t get the distain towards Paul Crapper, likely shares the views of many on this board and wanted to voice them as a board member, which he failed at.

I know nothing about Paul other than what he wrote on BF but seemed to want to be an advocate for Vic based members.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
That has to be a made up fake news story surely. We've invested far too much hate posting into the idea that NMFC canned the VFL program entirely for there to be any sort of nuance to that decision.

It wouldn't be the first time he made stuff up to facilitate his personal politics.

Recruiting zones, conferences, list changes in the works for revamped VFL
The Victorian state league is set for major changes in 2021, from the number of teams to list requirements to recruiting zones. Here’s a snapshot of what’s under discussion.
Paul Amy, Leader

Subscriber only
|
September 17, 2020 10:30am

similars

The VFL could have up to 20 teams as clubs from three states assess their options for 2021.
The first step towards the make-up of the Victorian state league comes this Friday when clubs submit an “expression of interest’’ to be involved.
Indications are all NEAFL clubs bar the Canberra Demons will lodge their initial interest.
The AFL announced in August that the NEAFL would be absorbed into the Victorian league but the Demons have already announced they will not be part of it.
Northern and southern conferences are an option as the AFL looks to reduce costs for travel and accommodation.
The Victorian clubs have been given proposed new zones and list requirements for next year.
For a list of 40, the stand-alone clubs will have to contract 20 players under the age of 23, and 10 must be under the age of 21.
Aligned and AFL clubs will be permitted to list five players over the age of 23.
Five will have to be under the age of 23, and 20 other players under 21, sourced from zones that each club has been allocated.

But primary-list players can come from anywhere.
The zones apply across the entire competition in Victoria and are intended to promote and strengthen greater linkages between the NAB League and the VFL, as the VFL clubs had suggested in a submission to AFL state leagues manager Tristan Salter four months ago.

Frankston, for example, has been given Gippsland Power and Dandenong Stingrays.

Casey Demons have been allocated the Stingrays and the Melbourne Next Generation Academy, which takes in the Mornington Peninsula.

Box Hill Hawks can tap Eastern Ranges and Gippsland Power, which Hawthorn’s NGA covers.

Coburg has the Calders Cannons and the Bendigo Pioneers.

But four clubs have a bite at the Western Jets: Werribee, Williamstown, Footscray Bulldogs and North Melbourne through its NGA.

Some clubs will urge the AFL to take another look at the proposed zones.

Although AFL clubs must pull back on their spending, there are indications most will run their own VFL teams next year, even Carlton, which cut the Northern Blues in March as the impact of COVID-19 kicked in.

Northern is going back to the Northern Bullants name and is out to operate as a stand-alone.

The zones are seen as a way of having more players coming out of the NAB League – which turns into an Under 19 and Under 17 competition next year – and going directly to the VFL.

The pathway would start with a 16-year-old player joining the Oakleigh Chargers, for example, and knowing he could go on to Port Melbourne in the VFL if he wasn’t drafted.

VFL club officials believe said such a system would increase opportunities for young players that were lost when VFL Development League was canned at the end of 2017.

An AFL recruiter backed the model, and said the onus would be on VFL clubs to work closely with the NAB League teams to create a “one-club’’ feel.

He said he saw it as the VFL’s attempt to replicate the SANFL and WAFL.

“That’s not a bad thing; what they have over there works,’’ he said.

AFL club officials contacted by Leader also supported the model but one had reservations about the zones, arguing the Jets should be left to Williamstown and the North Melbourne NGA, leaving Werribee to be attached to the Geelong Falcons and Greater Western Victoria Rebels regions and the Bulldogs also with the Rebels.

The “talent flow’’ from the Jets is seen as insufficient to produce enough players for the model.

Clubs’ official applications to be part of the revamped VFL in 2021 must be lodged with the AFL by the end of the month.

POTENTIAL VFL TEAMS IN 2021

AFL stand-alones: Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray Bulldogs, Geelong, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney

Aligned: Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons, Sandringham

VFL stand-alones: Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Werribee

NEAFL: Aspley, Redlands, Southport, Sydney University

LISTS

Stand-alone clubs: 20 players over 23, 10 under 23, 10 under 21

Aligned or AFL stand-alone clubs: five players over 23, five under 23, 20 under 21

PROPOSED ZONES

Coburg: Calder Cannons, Bendigo Pioneers

Frankston: Dandenong Stingrays, Gippsland Power

Port Melbourne: Oakleigh Chargers, Sandringham Dragons

Northern Bullants: Northern Knights

Williamstown: Western Jets

Werribee: Western Jets, Greater Western Victoria Rebels

Box Hill Hawks: Eastern Ranges, Gippsland Power, Hawthorn NGA

Casey Demons: Dandenong Stingrays, Melbourne NGA

Sandringham: Sandringham Dragons, St Kilda NGA

Carlton: Northern Knights, Carlton NGA

Collingwood: Oakleigh Chargers, Collingwood NGA

Essendon: Calder Cannons, Bendigo Pioneers, Essendon NGA

Geelong: Geelong Falcons, Geelong NGA

North Melbourne: Tasmania, North Melbourne NGA

Richmond: Murray Bushrangers, Richmond NGA

Western Bulldogs: Western Jets, Western Bulldogs NGA

It wouldn't be the first time he made stuff up to facilitate his personal politics.

You've invented us axing the VFL side in favour of the W program whole cloth.

To facilitate your personal politics.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Collingwood: Oakleigh Chargers, Collingwood NGA, All players in other NGA zones open to having their family relocated into a Collingwood NGA zone

Essendon: Calder Cannons, Bendigo Pioneers, Essendon NGA, Any players in other NGA zones open to having their family relocated that got passed over by Collingwood

Efa.

Back