Our watershed moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Greenac

All Australian
Apr 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
With little to worry about except the development of our younger players, it is a chance to be reflective.

What Blight did before the 97 season is a big one.

The camp in 2018 was another - or is it actually the 2017 GF loss which caused everything after it to go the way it did? I think it was the camp because losing the GF is not in itself a reason to implode see Hawthorn, West Coast, Geelong etc.

What other watershed moments span our history?

With little to worry about except the development of our younger players, it is a chance to be reflective.

What Blight did before the 97 season is a big one.

The camp in 2018 was another - or is it actually the 2017 GF loss which caused everything after it to go the way it did? I think it was the camp because losing the GF is not in itself a reason to implode see Hawthorn, West Coast, Geelong etc.

What other watershed moments span our history?

Yeah, camp. 2017 Grand final could have just been an unfortunate hiccup without it.

Tippett and draft sanctions is probably the watershed moment. That cost us a dynasty with the power of hindsight, seeing we had enough talent to make the big dance with that handicap.

The Angus Monfries bounce. That ball bounces like 99.9% of kicks and we win that Showdown. Therefore we make the finals on percentage and Port don't. Kern may have been sacked by now if that was the case. Also Sando doesn't get the sack after 2014, so probably no Phil Walsh either, at least not in 2015.

And I mean, obviously the Walshy tragedy set things on a different path too. Would he have accepted the scraps that are Roo's mates? Who knows.

Close losses over the years that cost us top 4 spots and underachieving when we did finish in the top 4, we have had our chances over the years and I am not sure if this chance will come again for a while now especially what has been going on with this team post 2017 GF.

The Angus Monfries bounce. That ball bounces like 99.9% of kicks and we win that Showdown. Therefore we make the finals on percentage and Port don't. Kern may have been sacked by now if that was the case. Also Sando doesn't get the sack after 2014, so probably no Phil Walsh either, at least not in 2015.

And I mean, obviously the Walshy tragedy set things on a different path too. Would he have accepted the scraps that are Roo's mates? Who knows.

And in that showdown Adelaide played much better and had a 20pt lead in time on an then they froze. Port kick 17.5 with 3 rushed behinds and Adelaide kick 15.13 with no rushed behinds. I believe that Port never missed only 1 set shot for the entire game and after the Monfries bounce Winguard marked on the lead and goaled from 20m out directly in front. Their fate was sealed 2 weeks later with a loss to a badly struggling Western Bulldogs team.

Getting smashed by Hawthorn in the SF of 2015 set up a series of failings under Pyke/Campo in key games. Following that we became a very unreliable, mentally weak team.

Lost to West Coast in R23 2016 to fall out of top 4 then was easily beaten by Sydney in the SF

Following year we were flogged by North Melbourne in Tasmania, followed that up with Melbourne flogging us and later in the year we lost to Hawthorn despite leading at 3QT, drew with Collingwood after being flogged in the first half, lost to West Coast again in R23 and then culminated it with getting flogged in the GF.

This set up a cascade of poor decisions involving the camp and so on, we became more and more unreliable and the floggings got larger. Lost to Melbourne by 91 points in 2018, 56 points against Hawthorn and 48 against Collingwood. And so on, now we're winless

• Banned
Getting smashed by Hawthorn in the SF of 2015 set up a series of failings under Pyke/Campo in key games. Following that we became a very unreliable, mentally weak team.

Lost to West Coast in R23 2016 to fall out of top 4 then was easily beaten by Sydney in the SF

Following year we were flogged by North Melbourne in Tasmania, followed that up with Melbourne flogging us and later in the year we lost to Hawthorn despite leading at 3QT, drew with Collingwood after being flogged in the first half, lost to West Coast again in R23 and then culminated it with getting flogged in the GF.

This set up a cascade of poor decisions involving the camp and so on, we became more and more unreliable and the floggings got larger. Lost to Melbourne by 91 points in 2018, 56 points against Hawthorn and 48 against Collingwood. And so on, now we're winless

That is grim. And telling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back