Out of Contract Cats Players at the end of 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

particularly while the club will want to no doubt make finals next year to try and recoup the $ losses of this year I think that would mean us towards readymade depth players over untried 19yos yes.
I remain unconvinced the afl would cut lists to 35 immediately (if they do it i think it will be over a no of years) but if they did I think the 12 to go for us would be
Ablett
Taylor
Henderson
brownless
cockatoo
Jarvis
kennerley
okunbor (unless cat b is ruled exempt from the 35)
Parsons maybe
Schlensog (see okunbor)
tarca
Stanley (although you'd need another ruck)
and maybe close

I haventincluded guys like Jenkins as they are contracted but you could if the afl let you sit the payouts outside the cap) and I think it's hard to carry injury prone players with a shorter list so I've cut most of those.

The list size that have ben theorised will cause problems but sometime... if you pushed into a corner etc. I don't think any of the affected business or sport organisation will know excatly the situation till they know the damage.

Less soft cap staff is obvious. They could cut it in half for mine. Where it gets hard is things like AFLW and NGA. Id say NGA goes first. 500,000 to run a non profitable women's comp may see some team relinquish their spot..and we see Haw or Ess take their spot.

The playing list numbers really is all about what are players willing to play for. WE could have 50 if they were all happy to play for 100,000... and we still would save money..but that will not happen. Just how much will the Dangers of the afl be willing to cut? Does it really cost much more having 35 to 40 if they are drafted players? The big cost is the other end of the list. They are also the players want to see and pay to watch. They are the game breakers..so I don't see them being cu too much...so I think its journeymen that cost a lot more than draftees that will be under pressure. Players like Menegola or 2E... will they take 100,000 less ..players in the 11-25 will be under pressure imo. if we drop to 35

The list size that have ben theorised will cause problems but sometime... if you pushed into a corner etc. I don't think any of the affected business or sport organisation will know excatly the situation till they know the damage.

Less soft cap staff is obvious. They could cut it in half for mine. Where it gets hard is things like AFLW and NGA. Id say NGA goes first. 500,000 to run a non profitable women's comp may see some team relinquish their spot..and we see Haw or Ess take their spot.

The playing list numbers really is all about what are players willing to play for. WE could have 50 if they were all happy to play for 100,000... and we still would save money..but that will not happen. Just how much will the Dangers of the afl be willing to cut? Does it really cost much more having 35 to 40 if they are drafted players? The big cost is the other end of the list. They are also the players want to see and pay to watch. They are the game breakers..so I don't see them being cu too much...so I think its journeymen that cost a lot more than draftees that will be under pressure. Players like Menegola or 2E... will they take 100,000 less ..players in the 11-25 will be under pressure imo. if we drop to 35
Last paragraph there I think nails the profile problem down. We have a cash problem so we want to cut playing lists but the names pit up to be dropped are the cheapest players.

It's very likely that player payments follow the pareto principle (although maybe not e sicky following the 80/20 rule). Danger, Selwood, Hawkins would all be over a million so the first 3 players are getting close to 4m together which is 30% of the cap. A 30-40% pay deferral to 2021 onwards for those 3 alone is in the order of 1m.

All of the names put forward for a list reduction are players that are likely on a average of maybe 100k. You would have to drop 10 of them for the same bottom line impact as that 30-40% contract reduction to 3 players. If instead of singling out any players you said, cap on individual player payments this year, no more than 500k then I think you'd achieve far more cost reduction than you would jettisoning your cheapest players en masse.

One thing I would hope they're considering is for any player who accepts deferred player payments into future years, for that cash to not be counted in that years cap, or only counted up to the average annual payment for that contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back