Out of Contract Cats Players at the end of 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of Contract Cats Players at the end of 2020.
Who will go and who will stay?

THE postponement of the AFL season will provide plenty of time for the Geelong list management team to determine what the list for 2021 looks like.

Twenty-two Cats are yet to put pen to paper for next year, and there may be some nervous players with speculation lists could be cut to as few as 35 as clubs look to reset when we return from the COVID-19 shutdown.
With 24 locked away, that could leave just 11 spots, and that’s not factoring in whether there is a National Draft this year.

OUT-OF-CONTRACT CATS

GARY ABLETT x
OSCAR BROWNLESS (r) x
BRADLEY CLOSE (r) x
NAKIA COCKATOO x
CHARLIE CONSTABLE
DARCY FORT x
ZACH GUTHRIE x
TOM HAWKINS x
LACHIE HENDERSON
JACK HENRY x
BEN JARVIS x
JACOB KENNERLEY x
NATHAN KRUEGER x
QUINTON NARKLE x
BRANDAN PARFITT x
JAMES PARSONS x
BLAKE SCHLENSOG x
SAM SIMPSON x
RHYS STANLEY x
JAKE TARCA x
HARRY TAYLOR x
ZACH TUOHY x
http://www.krockfootball.com.au/geelong-cats-news/cats-out-of-contract/

MOD EDIT - I have Okanbor OOC at end 2020 as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:

OUT-OF-CONTRACT CATS

GARY ABLETT
OSCAR BROWNLESS (r)
BRADLEY CLOSE (r)
NAKIA COCKATOO
CHARLIE CONSTABLE
DARCY FORT
ZACH GUTHRIE
TOM HAWKINS
LACHIE HENDERSON
JACK HENRY
BEN JARVIS
JACOB KENNERLEY
NATHAN KRUEGER
QUINTON NARKLE
BRANDAN PARFITT
JAMES PARSONS
BLAKE SCHLENSOG
SAM SIMPSON
RHYS STANLEY
JAKE TARCA
HARRY TAYLOR
ZACH TUOHY

Unless a new reality hits for the players.. I can see a few middle tier players getting pushed out at clubs. If clubs revenue drops by 30% from 50M to 35M for eg.. it will have to affect SCap. The afl should rip up player agreements and start again once their dollar stream is established.

22 odd players on that list and 10, if not more, would be having thoughts on their future imo.

Unless a new reality hits for the players.. I can see a few middle tier players getting pushed out at clubs. If clubs revenue drops by 30% from 50M to 35M for eg.. it will have to affect SCap. The afl should rip up player agreements and start again once their dollar stream is established.

22 odd players on that list and 10, if not more, would be having thoughts on their future imo.
And if the list numbers are dropped across the board then is say Hately in the best 30 for GWS? Wild he be in ours? Opportunity for a much wider list reset

OUT-OF-CONTRACT CATS

GARY ABLETT x
OSCAR BROWNLESS (r) x
BRADLEY CLOSE (r) x

NAKIA COCKATOO x
CHARLIE CONSTABLE
DARCY FORT x

ZACH GUTHRIE x
TOM HAWKINS x
LACHIE HENDERSON
JACK HENRY x

BEN JARVIS x
JACOB KENNERLEY x
NATHAN KRUEGER x
QUINTON NARKLE x
BRANDAN PARFITT x

JAMES PARSONS x
BLAKE SCHLENSOG x
SAM SIMPSON x
RHYS STANLEY x

JAKE TARCA x
HARRY TAYLOR x
ZACH TUOHY x

MOD EDIT - I have Okanbor OOC at end 2020 as well

I have 2 in red retiring, 10 i'd resign bolded, 5 in blue I know little about and 4 in green as definite see ya latters thanks for coming.

I have 2 in red retiring, 10 i'd resign bolded, 5 in blue I know little about and 4 in green as definite see ya latters thanks for coming.

Generally agree except for:

Henderson goes, surely - only scraped into a rookie spot this year.

Nakia: I love him, and I loved Lincoln McCarthy, so I think he should do what Lincoln did, get into a warmer climate and better medical program.

Fort stays - he played in round one, so was ahead of Stanley at that stage. Even with a list of 30, you have to have two ruckmen.

Schlensog definitely stays, he's our next key back.

If the rest of the season is cancelled and the terms of the playing contract (whatever they are) are not met at the governing body's end (the AFL putting the season on hiatus), do all players have that year contractually owed to them?

If the rest of the season is cancelled and the terms of the playing contract (whatever they are) are not met at the governing body's end (the AFL putting the season on hiatus), do all players have that year contractually owed to them?
I know of certain lawyers who would be prepared to give you their answers to that question upon the payment of large amounts of moolah, none of the answers totally agreeing with each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if they do reduce lists then it would actually favour people like Zuthrie and Parsons from the club's perspective. If you have a shallower list you need everyone on that list being "afl ready" in case you cop injuries so the club would keep those sort of players over the 2018 draftees for instance. I don't agree with that personally but I could see the club going that way.

I think if they do reduce lists then it would actually favour people like Zuthrie and Parsons from the club's perspective. If you have a shallower list you need everyone on that list being "afl ready" in case you cop injuries so the club would keep those sort of players over the 2018 draftees for instance. I don't agree with that personally but I could see the club going that way.
What is the point of it though, considering they hardly ever get a game? I'd rather they give a game to a young up and comer, who might actually be something other than a list clogger like Zuthrie or Parsons. Who might play 2 or 3 games a year at best.

particularly while the club will want to no doubt make finals next year to try and recoup the $ losses of this year I think that would mean us towards readymade depth players over untried 19yos yes.
I remain unconvinced the afl would cut lists to 35 immediately (if they do it i think it will be over a no of years) but if they did I think the 12 to go for us would be
Ablett
Taylor
Henderson
brownless
cockatoo
Jarvis
kennerley
okunbor (unless cat b is ruled exempt from the 35)
Parsons maybe
Schlensog (see okunbor)
tarca
Stanley (although you'd need another ruck)
and maybe close

I haventincluded guys like Jenkins as they are contracted but you could if the afl let you sit the payouts outside the cap) and I think it's hard to carry injury prone players with a shorter list so I've cut most of those.

What is the point of it though, considering they hardly ever get a game? I'd rather they give a game to a young up and comer, who might actually be something other than a list clogger like Zuthrie or Parsons. Who might play 2 or 3 games a year at best.

with a smaller list though you wouldn't need many injuries for guys like that to be playing and they are more all ready than 18yos.

with a smaller list though you wouldn't need many injuries for guys like that to be playing and they are more all ready than 18yos.
And? You still have to have younger players on the list. You can’t have 35 old blokes in case of injuries. Why keep a no future spud over a young guy with the potential to be a great player? If it came down to say cooper stevens vs parsons it really should be a no brainer. Parsons will never make it. Cooper might.

And? You still have to have younger players on the list. You can’t have 35 old blokes in case of injuries. Why keep a no future spud over a young guy with the potential to be a great player? If it came down to say cooper stevens vs parsons it really should be a no brainer. Parsons will never make it. Cooper might.

Cooper Stephens is contracted and a high pick and we aren't delisting those unless they are injury prone (cockatoo) so your scenario won't happen.

the scenario that will happen for delisting is imo is young untried late picks vs older fringe player late picks...so you are basically talking say delisting your tarca Kimberley Jarvis types or your Parsons zuthrie Simpson fort etc types. what I'm saying is the club will be desperate to make finals next year to recoup the financial losses so they may be likely particular with a shorter list(which means you need more of the list to be afl ready than if you have a biggerlist) to prioritise the older 'fringe depth over the young untried fringe players. not that I'd agree with it but this is a unique situation.

Cooper Stephens is contracted and a high pick and we aren't delisting those unless they are injury prone (cockatoo) so your scenario won't happen.

the scenario that will happen for delisting is imo is young untried late picks vs older fringe player late picks...so you are basically talking say delisting your tarca Kimberley Jarvis types or your Parsons zuthrie Simpson fort etc types. what I'm saying is the club will be desperate to make finals next year to recoup the financial losses so they may be likely particular with a shorter list(which means you need more of the list to be afl ready than if you have a biggerlist) to prioritise the older 'fringe depth over the young untried fringe players. not that I'd agree with it but this is a unique situation.
The risk is that if you depart with a lot of youth and keep list cloggers around in order to run a finals gambit, it'll hurt a lot more if that side is unable to achieve that goal, because then you have less prospect of improvement coming through and deadwood to still clear out. The club would need to consider whether it really was a serious chance at a finals berth in 2021. The list was looking rather old and shaky even in 2020. 2021, and with a year off, who knows how much we can get out of the older talent, some of whom are out most prominent performers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back