Autopsy Out of our misery

Remove this Banner Ad

We've worked so hard as a club to get to 50,000 members. I'm scared to think what our membership may drop to next year after such a horrible year. I think the club will need to get creative with our membership accounting.

But I will buy mine again as I always do. I'm a sucker for punishment

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I don’t think people will drop off. The players we have are exciting - the lack of cohesion, inspiration and coaching nouse is very easily rectified. The board just need to grow a pair and find a solid plan B.

So glad we played Macrae (3x All-Australian inside mid) on the wing for most of the match.
Who do you take our of the centre? Dunkley who was our BOG, Libba or Bont?

Macrae has been well below his best and, like the rest of our mids, has to suck it up and realise he can't be in the guts 100% of the time.

I'm starting to think we over-achieved last year, rather than under-achieved this year. With a couple of exceptions, we've mostly been owned by decent teams this year. Today was no exception. Big off-season coming up. I hope that the club takes an honest look at our playing list and coaching set up - without the rose-coloured glasses.

Despite the season being cooked, we still have the personnel of a team which should be right up there next season, which obviously makes this year all the more frustrating.

If we can sort out our tall defenders our best 22 will be close to as good as any in the comp. And something in our coaching setup needs an overhaul, obviously.
Jones and Darcy down back will make a huge difference.

I think the Bevo out call is a little dramatic, but geez I would love to see an experienced coach such as Leon Cameron added to the staff.

The Siege mentality / underdog status is bevos strength, but he needs someone to help piece together a strategy for a talented ,confident starting 22 which indeed should start " favourites" in many games . This is what the longmires / Scott's and Clarkson's of the world do best.

He could have kept Khan'is in let Bruce get ready for next year.And let Darcy take those marks close to goal.He didn't and we lost.And you can't expect Libba to do all the desperate work at the centre. bounce .Bont has been off and MaCrae has been shown up at centre clearances,,and needs to stop with the handball first mentality. He should have been moved to the wing. Treloar was in defence when we were crying out for him..LOL Maybe next season with better tactics .

Last edited:
Who do you take our of the centre? Dunkley who was our BOG, Libba or Bont?

Macrae has been well below his best and, like the rest of our mids, has to suck it up and realise he can't be in the guts 100% of the time.
Yes he has, but was outrun by opponents several times. Surely there's somewhere more impactful to play him, even if not in the middle.

Jones and Darcy down back will make a huge difference.
I think it's a little premature still to expect Darcy to fill that sizeable gap on a consistent basis, but he's definitely handy to have available alongside Jones. I really hope Keath is playing injured and this isn't his level now, to give us hope he'll return back to his best next year.

More than anything though we need to stop the regular midfield dominance against us that makes defending an impossible task. Plus it feels like we concede more scores to the 6-6-6 than any other club.

I'm starting to think we over-achieved last year, rather than under-achieved this year. With a couple of exceptions, we've mostly been owned by decent teams this year. Today was no exception. Big off-season coming up. I hope that the club takes an honest look at our playing list and coaching set up - without the rose-coloured glasses.
Jury’s out, but keep in mind our season ended five weeks after Carlton, Freo and Collingwood’s.

See how we go with a long break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Bevo out call is a little dramatic, but geez I would love to see an experienced coach such as Leon Cameron added to the staff.

The Siege mentality / underdog status is bevos strength, but he needs someone to help piece together a strategy for a talented ,confident starting 22 which indeed should start " favourites" in many games . This is what the longmires / Scott's and Clarkson's of the world do best.
I'm still wondering how/why we got Spangher to be our forwards coach. Nothing against the guy personally, but he had a couple of admin roles in clubland and suddenly he's handed the keys to Marra/Naughts/etc?

I think it's a little premature still to expect Darcy to fill that sizeable gap on a consistent basis, but he's definitely handy to have available alongside Jones. I really hope Keath is playing injured and this isn't his level now, to give us hope he'll return back to his best next year.
His disposal (with composure) was much better in the second half. I think there's plenty of work with.

I'm still wondering how/why we got Spangher to be our forwards coach. Nothing against the guy personally, but he had a couple of admin roles in clubland and suddenly he's handed the keys to Marra/Naughts/etc?
the bloke can surf and is right into his Mindfulness, went to St Bedes as well. Bevo knows him from his his times with Clarko too - great bloke

Fitting end to the week I've had. If only the 'Dogs had as much fight as I do.

Back to back I will never see. I was lucky to see one.

What an absolute waste of talent. Bont, Libba, Macrae, Richards, Dunkley, Treloar

2nd rank: Naughton, Marra, Weightman, English,

I've forgotten a few no doubt, but the rest can P off

JUH will learn plenty from today. Briefly looked like tearing it apart early and nearly took that huge grab. Always looked dangerous, but made many poor decisions. Covering the ground better though and could be a star next year.

Garcia will make a player, bit of an almost game today, but there’s something there. I like him.

Darcy decent debut, he’s no slower than the other big defenders (including Cordy) are. Our structure doesn’t allow for intercepting though (was getting spoiled by his team mates all first half).

Cordy is finished, thought Bruce got better in the 2nd half, but geez he couldn’t get any worse. Naughton hasn’t been as effective since Josh has been back too.

Not the end of the world, probably the season we needed to address coaching/game plan. Either get a few strong assistants and invest in Bevo, or show him the door and get Clarko.

This season can’t happen again.

As disappointing as the season and this result was, I’m kind of glad in a way.

The match today more or less summarised our season.

Never fully got going, too many players out of form, not coached properly, poor game plan.

I can only hope the right lessons are finally learnt from this season, including:

- Midfield. Not good enough, and it’s supposed to be our strength.

3rd quarter Grand Final, first quarter vs the Swans, 3rd quarter agains Geelong, and now again today.

They get beaten way too easily.

I don’t know what the solution is - but Beveridge and the coaching staff are kidding themselves if they think it’s not a problem.

- Backline. Again, don’t know what the answer is here, if we get Jones back or go for someone else, but they weren’t up to it today and haven’t been all season.

Today was just a repeat of issues that have been glaring for ages.

Can only hope that the coaches and players wake up to themselves.

I don't know if it's the players not defending or the defensive structure, but we have serious problems if we can allow teams to chip the ball around so easily. Our defensive 50 was also exposed, though I'll grant that we were a little unlucky with Lobb and Taberner dobbing goals from the boundary early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back