Out of the traditional 'Big 4', who is closest to their next premiership and why?

Who is closest?

• Carlton

Votes: 32 15.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 96 45.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • Richmond

Votes: 19 9.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

RudyBlue

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
An interesting question that requires some thoughtful consideration. Will be keen to see the responses.

This isn't the VFL any more.

Who the ****ing hell cares about them?
Only about 250,000 members and whole lot more supporters.

EDIT- Read the thread title, "traditional big 4", it is what is it is. Like it or not, we are the traditional big 4.

Only about 250,000 members and whole lot more supporters.

EDIT- Read the thread title, "traditional big 4", it is what is it is. Like it or not, we are the traditional big 4.

If we were talking about the VFL, no arguments. I'd say right now that WCE, Sydney, Hawthorn and 2-3 others all hold more relevance than Carlton or Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were talking about the VFL, no arguments. I'd say right now that WCE, Sydney, Hawthorn and 2-3 others all hold more relevance than Carlton or Essendon.
We don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Sydney /Hawthorn/Geelong (on field anyway )

I'm not doubting that. I'm simply saying that Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon are the TRADITIONAL big 4, that's the key word, traditional. Not saying that all 4 clubs are the biggest 4 right now, in terms of results at least. Why else do you think Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon (not so much Carlton according to the numbers) still feature in the top 5 teams in the league for total number of members regardless of results?

74,000 and 72,000 for two clubs who won 9 and 8 games this year.

If Carlton and Richmond fans say they're Big 4 often enough does that make it true

images

This has been done before but might be timely as all four clubs have gone backwards since the previous poll was taken.

I'm tipping Essendon, today we showed why, just look at the kids, we didn't even have them all in, let alone the senior guys returning next season.

The Crows have had the no. 1 home crowd attendance in the AFL for 2 of the last 3 years.

We're not Big 4, we're Big 1. :thumbsu:

All minimum a decade off their next one...

Things in this game can change very quickly, it would be another decade or as soon as the new few seasons.

Carlton need to find a key forward, Richmond seem to just keep being Richmond and Collingwood has enough kids to threaten within a short time period.

Nothing surer in this sort of thread than people complaining about the 'big 4' rather than actually contributing in a meaningful way. Its just a term that is used to capture all four clubs within a certain context. No one actually believes that they are more important or more successful (recently, at least) than other AFL sides.

Anyway, Collingwood should be closer than the others but in reality they have a coach who doesn't have a plan B and plays favourites regularly. He's only taken them backwards and although its been said many times to the annoyance of Collingwood supporters, Buckley came into the senior coaching role a little preemptively (especially when they had a Premiership coach at the helm). In my opinion their list needs some adjustment as they seem to have way too many players of the same skillset and position. No young key defenders are really making a stamp on the game (Marsh has been serviceable but gets exposed against quality forwards), whilst guys like Reid and Brown are either getting older or struggling to stay on the park for a full season. Moore is very impressive but after the hamstring injuries he's had there is some doubt over whether he'll play a full season any time soon. They are however set in the midfield for years to come with Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Wills et al all quite impressive in their own ways. Probably the closest to a flag if they can find the right coaching staff.

Essendon is next in line for me. In my opinion the Bombers have the best KPP stocks of all four sides, and plenty of emerging young talent. Merrett, Daniher, Parish, Fantasia, Francis, Langford etc. all look likely types. Add to that some early picks and the returning players and there is some definite quality there on the list. Essendon has struggled up forward in recent times whilst the defence (and midfield to a lesser extent) carried the side to some top 8 finishes. Now with Daniher, Fantasia and Walla all looking good I think the Bombers will finally have a functioning forward set up. I can see Essendon shooting up the ladder next year and with Worsfold's expertise as a proven coach, they could push the top 8. Finals isn't necessarily the goal for the club but with improvement anything is possible.

Carlton is close third but still have huge list turnovers that need to be made. The amount of dead wood getting regular games is ridiculous, although the coaching staff and list managers seem to have an idea of who needs to go and what areas need improving. Their forward line is still non-functional and they definitely have the worst forward set up of all four sides. Their midfield has some quality with the likes of Murphy, Gibbs, Curnow and Cripps but the drop off after those guys is pretty clear to see. Depth is a huge issue, and the fact that Simpson isn't getting any younger doesn't help. Docherty looks promising however and should be able to cover the loss given enough time. Overall, the lack of quality talls at both ends (Weitering can't cover everyone down back) is hurting them badly and they need to draft very well. However overall they're improving and can only get better with experience and smart list management.

Richmond is furthest away in my opinion because they're in a position where they need to rebuild, but haven't seriously attempted it yet and have only brought in players like Yarran who serve to hurt their position even more. As has been said many times, their top end is elite but the drop off is huge after that. They have bottom four depth and even players that get regular games i.e. Hunt, Batchelor, Hampson, Vickery, Griffiths, Ellis, Conca aren't AFL standard for the most part. That said, their biggest issue is coaching. Damien Hardwick has sold false hope to the Richmond board and fans alike, and if they're serious about building a list that can challenge they need to have a full clearing out of the coaching department. Furthermore, whoever's in charge of list management at the club needs to go. The amount of dead weight they've picked up recently through both trading and drafting is appalling. They have some talented young guys but they haven't shown anywhere near the quality of a Merrett or a Cripps yet. Unfortunately for Tiger fans its only going to get worse before it gets better - though they needn't suffer long if something is done quickly about the coaching issue.

Last edited:
Back