Portfolio (Outdated) NRL Jerseys, 1908–2006 – inspired by FootyJumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Balmain - Didn't have the black on white numbers until at least the mid 80's.

Manly 1978-79 - Logo was an Eagle on a yellow circle.

Parra 1974 - Blue V neck collar.
1979 onwards - Two extra gold stripes on the top back removed.
1980-1985 alternate had a thick blue bar across the middle front and top back.
1995 onwards. Blue jersey had a white number not yellow.

Balmain fixed, white outline from 1983.

Haven’t got that Manly logo.

Parramatta (mostly) fixed, although the old-style jersey they wore in 1975, with the striped shorts and yellow socks, definitely had a white old-style collar (1973 jersey, perhaps?) — images will help, even if they’re low-quality screenshots or photos of photos from books.

Thanks for the help, Lemon Boi :lemon:
Manly-1978.png

This is really, really good stuff, Lemon Boi. Personally I'm not a massive fan of Rugby League in comparison to Football and cricket, but having lived in Newcastle for a year, I usually watch it from time to time. The retro jerseys are a thing of beauty, so much so, when I was in Canberra last year I bought the 1994 Raiders Retro Jersey. Keep up the good work Lemon Boi!

We may learn something about our northern neighbours for us Victorians that we didn't know.
Google is your friend. There are plenty of resources that explain clubs and their foundations. Lemon Boi is more of a designer rather than a historian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We begin with five teams from the formative years of the New South Wales Rugby Football League.
Annandale, 1910–20

1910–1914: claret-and-amber striped jersey, white collar, claret cuffs, white shorts, amber socks with two claret stripes on top-fold
View attachment 805900

1915–1920: white panel with black number added
View attachment 805903

:lemon:
It appears Annandale initial jumper was thinner Amber hoops
450px-Annandale_AustRL1912.jpg

Also, I can't find Amber socks with Claret tops on any photos.
It's always Claret with Amber tops.
news_19100314_2.jpg

Do you have a reference for the description you've given?

Here's my versions
Annandale-Uniform-1910.png
Annandale-Uniform-1915.png

More help required:

Can anyone provide a 2004 Sharks logo with the white outline? (used on the black home jersey)
Also, I need both the blue and yellow variants of the Eels 2004 logo.

Thanks, Lemon Boi :lemon:
From the NRL website. All the club logos are SVG files but I know you're looking for PNGs...

Attachments

• sharks-badge-light-01.png
    sharks-badge-light-01.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 186
More help required:

Can anyone provide a 2004 Sharks logo with the white outline? (used on the black home jersey)
Also, I need both the blue and yellow variants of the Eels 2004 logo.

Thanks, Lemon Boi :lemon:
I can assist

5FVaAL4.jpg

The green of the 1982 Canberra Raiders jersey was a lighter, more yellow colour green. I have attached a copy of the photo of the 1982 Canberra Raiders in the attached picture. I included a picture of a couch in the green of the 1982 Raiders, as was said the couch was in the owners office. As you can see the green on the logo of the Raiders jumpers was still the yellow green even when they used the current green in the premiership years.

Last edited:
5FVaAL4.jpg

I would say that it was a photo from the start of the 1982 season, as they didn't have any sponsorship on the front of their jerseys yet, and they appear to be outside in the summer sunlight. The jersey were from before the club was in the NSWRL as the logo doesn't appear on the jerseys.

However, the green which appeared on their premiership winning season jerseys, it is a different green to the one that appears on the first year jerseys. Looking at the logo on the jerseys which you put on here in these cards and the small logo on my picture, the green in the middle of the logo appears to be that of the first years jerseys and was kept as part of the logo even when the green of the jersey changed.

About the change in colour, I would like to quote a website; Sportress and an article called Evergreen: the visual evolution of the Canberra Raiders.
"A by-product of being an expansion team in any sporting league is that the teams that have been in the competition for years (i.e. the best part of a century) have taken all the regular colours for their jerseys. As the new kid, you have to pick from the unwanted crayons in the tin.

Amongst expansion teams in Australian sport there is an abundance of purple (Melbourne Storm and Fremantle Dockers), teal (Port Adelaide Power) and orange (GWS Giants)."

We go further along.

"1986. By this point in time the jersey has had some noticeable changes made to it. The lime green had started to darken somewhat, while the size of both logos has almost doubled. The jersey now hosted one sponsor, Woodgers, a real estate firm that would remain with the Raiders until the end of their first premiership season in 1989."

I am not saying it was a dramatic colour change like the Raiders had with the start of Super League, but there was a change in the shade of green used on jersey. Instead of being green that was very yellow, it became a green that was a lighter than normal green but not as yellow as it once was. The green of the Raiders jersey has come back to a more yellow green colour of the pre-premiership years in recent years.

Attachments

• Brisbane-alt-90s.png
    Brisbane-alt-90s.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 202

Remove this Banner Ad

Back