News Outlast 2 refused Classification

Remove this Banner Ad

So our classification board has deemed outlast 2 unfit to be classified. Meaning unless the developers make changes the game is banned here. South park the stick of truth is one that made changes to comply while Hotline Miami told us to shove it.

From what is heard and shouldn't go into much detail as it does contain spoilers is that there is an implied forced sexual encounter with a monster and the games protagonist which appears to be the main scene the board has the problem with. Otherwise everything appeared to be okay for an R18+ rating

Thoughts?

It's entirely a question of consistency with current rating guidelines and without seeing the scene in question it's impossible to judge.

As much as I hate it, it's pretty clear cut.

Implied or actual sexual violence in your game? You're not getting classification in Australia. End of story. No grey area.

The real question is why games are held to different standards than other media - particularly when the scene(s) in question are cutscenes rather than interactive.

As much as I hate it, it's pretty clear cut.

Implied or actual sexual violence in your game? You're not getting classification in Australia. End of story. No grey area.

The real question is why games are held to different standards than other media - particularly when the scene(s) in question are cutscenes rather than interactive.

This is what really irks me. There are plenty of examples but every time I look at movies in a JB Hifi I always see the movie 'Irreversible' which which has the longest and most brutal rape scene I've ever seen. I felt pretty sick after watching it. Yet somehow a R18+ classification means this movie can sit on a shelf within reach to anyone, but oh no, can't have it in a vidya gaem because they're for childrens.

It's entirely a question of consistency with current rating guidelines and without seeing the scene in question it's impossible to judge.

Imo there should be no guidelines in a rating system all a parent/person has to look for is for the number eg R18+ Parent goes "Ok not good for kids under 18 wont buy it" none of this MA15+ contains violence,bad language and drugs crap next to it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty disappointed in our classification system for games, what the hell was the point in bringing in an R18+ if it wasn't gonna change anything.

Like others said, I don't buy the "games are interactive so it's worse" argument. Bollocks. Especially if said scene is a cut-scene.
I smell an agenda as putrid as the umpire bias in WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back