No Oppo Supporters Outrage thread (Swans posters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

We are a foundation club. We were originally from South Melbourne. The current AFL administration do not see that. Most current supporters don't see that. I got told that Hawks had to beat Port because "it's not an AFL grand final with two inner-state clubs". AFL don't see us as Victorian. Therefore, we don't get looked after like we are Victorian
Now here's the bit most Vic clubs conveniently forget, we are a foundation club,thankfully forced to SYDNEY or fold,(I was always on board with the move otherwise we were dead,read Fitzroy) howeve after leaving us with little or no resources they decided to privatize us,not only did they make the wrong choice of consortiums but we had to pay the league twice "license fees" (seriously WTF) that went directly back to Vic clubs which enabled a few to survive!so instead of going for the more stable group headed by Basil Sellars, the league took highest bidder,once this flopped we were worse than back to square one!
So when I hear we've always been the Leagues love child my retort is strong and direct, and hits them in the eyes,

Right now the history of our club is: the AFL think we are they plaything. A dog they get to kick around. And if we misbehave they put the choker on our throats.

We were a foundation club. But in their minds we were so diminished by the time we were forced to move we weren't even a full VFL team - let alone a standalone entity when we were on life support as the AFL came into existence.

They don't see us as an independent organisation. They see us pretty much as they see GWS. A club they think they still run themselves. A club too immature to run its own affairs making 'crazy' decisions like trading in Buddy.

So they're the stern parents. And we're the tear away teenagers being cheeky and trying to assert our authority from a position of no power.

And like naughty teenagers we just got grounded for being out too late last year ( or to push that metaphor - up too late in the season making the GF).

It's pathetic. And for old SM supporters it must be double the heartbreak.

Last edited:
This edict cannot be lawful
Right now the history of our club is: the AFL think we are they plaything. A dog they get to kick around. And if we misbehave they put the choker on our throats.

We were a foundation club. But in their minds we were so diminished by the time we were forced to move we weren't even a full VFL team - let alone a standalone entity when we were on life support as the AFL came into existence.

They don't see us as an independent organisation. They see us pretty much as they see GWS. A club they think they still run themselves. A club too immature to run its own affairs making 'crazy' decisions like trading in Buddy.

So they're the stern parents. And we're the tear away teenagers being cheeky and trying to assert our authority from a position of no power.

And like naughty teenagers we just got grounded for being out too late last year ( or to push that metaphor - up too late in the season making the GF).

It's pathetic. And for old SM supporters it must be double the heartbreak.
.....But stern parent's usually are doing things because they want the best for their children....

I believe we have the firepower to really go strong next year, and will survive without needing to rely on the trade period....the only player I was really wanting for next year was Ryder really, so 2014 trading not such an issue, although next two years may well be different. The one thing I would do now with players requesting trades away from Swans, if they are contracted, it is simply a no.

The silence on the airwaves and in the print is just astounding. To think the main players have not commented is weak and pathetic. Our club though needs to be more vocal about this ... Brad Seymour style. We need to keep it alive every moment. Every trade should be followed by, remember, ...he couldn't consider the Swans......clearly the AFL is turning itself into WWF. Surely they must have written the scripts for next season by now, I wish they would let on who they have winning the flag and how they are going to celebrate both GWS and GC making the eight for the first time.

Oh yeah....lets wait and see the draw, that should be just fantastic..!! It will be Norf in Tassie, both WA teams away, we will probably be playing Melbourne in Alice Springs and GC in Cairns back to back, say hello again to Simmonds Stadium, multiple 6 days breaks and the most Thursday night games of any club....we should have a 2015 Draw predication thread!!!

I believe we have the firepower to really go strong next year, and will survive without needing to rely on the trade period....the only player I was really wanting for next year was Ryder really, so 2014 trading not such an issue, although next two years may well be different. The one thing I would do now with players requesting trades away from Swans, if they are contracted, it is simply a no.

The silence on the airwaves and in the print is just astounding. To think the main players have not commented is weak and pathetic. Our club though needs to be more vocal about this ... Brad Seymour style. We need to keep it alive every moment. Every trade should be followed by, remember, ...he couldn't consider the Swans......clearly the AFL is turning itself into WWF. Surely they must have written the scripts for next season by now, I wish they would let on who they have winning the flag and how they are going to celebrate both GWS and GC making the eight for the first time.

Oh yeah....lets wait and see the draw, that should be just fantastic..!! It will be Norf in Tassie, both WA teams away, we will probably be playing Melbourne in Alice Springs and GC in Cairns back to back, say hello again to Simmonds Stadium, multiple 6 days breaks and the most Thursday night games of any club....we should have a 2015 Draw predication thread!!!
Just remember the Essendon crap is still going on and then we have another club sacking the Coach

this issue is soo ****ed and already having an extended effect.

Company I work for has already been approached by 2 NRL club's to ramp up their marketing plan's, trying to Jump on discontent (along with their own "great" grand final.) and ad's are suggesting all AFL branding Budgets are going to be reconsidered. Which is Code for cutting budget's in non traditional market's (Sydney) which as always means ad's get's almost no cut's and marketing get's ****ed. Which of course affects all our upcoming projects that haven't had a budget approved.

It's looking like they will go back to an in house model and I'll end up doing marketing for the ******* NRL. (why can't penrith at least approach us?)

Sum's it up perfectly when a club official from the AFL team we work for has asked us to send someone to Victoria to discuss how their brand may be affected in Sydney by this. It's a cluster *.

and there's going to be fallout, Not just for the Swan's which is Huge but Aussie Rules as a code and AFL as a brand in Sydney.
I was chatting with a bloke from the Swan's in house marketing earlier (we share some products) when i brought this up he looked at me and said
"how do you make the point that we've done nothing wrong and that this is nothing more than a vendetta, without running the risk being seen as criticising the AFL administration, Which would also have a damaging impact in our market?"

It's lose, lose. Now this is just my opinion not related to anything to do with Sydney Swans Ltd nor the AFL club we (the company i work for) have accounts with, But i think this move is going to cost the Swan's in members and attendances in 2015.

I can't even make any sense of it.
Follow the rules + be successful + recruit stars = draft sanctions.
as the NRL marketing team have been selling it to NRL club's, The AFL now tastes worse than drink at Todd Carney's place.

Great stuff AFL, top marketing, Sanctions for following the rules.

BILLY_DEE_APPLAUSE_web-large_medium.gif

so will the extra funding clubs like the bulldogs and kangaroos be cut now?

Don't be ******* stupid, the bulldogs have had more funding over the last 13 years then all of NSW and QLD entire AFL expenditure.
their the AFL's dole bludging cousin and would fold flatter than a deck chair without help.

I'm hoping the Swans can keep strong crowds while the AFL tv viewers plummet in Sydney and it *s the entire pay day those working party campaigners were hoping for.

******* rabble!

The story goes...Buddy will be paid COLA even after it is phased out, and this coincides with the big money years of his contract.
The AFL were so offended from being outsmarted they had to think long and hard about a suitable get square.

Word on Phillip street is that the club is preparing a legal challenge.

this issue is soo ****** and already having an extended effect.

Company I work for has already been approached by 2 NRL club's to ramp up their marketing plan's, trying to Jump on discontent (along with their own "great" grand final.) and ad's are suggesting all AFL branding Budgets are going to be reconsidered. Which is Code for cutting budget's in non traditional market's (Sydney) which as always means ad's get's almost no cut's and marketing get's ******. Which of course affects all our upcoming projects that haven't had a budget approved.

It's looking like they will go back to an in house model and I'll end up doing marketing for the ******* NRL. (why can't penrith at least approach us?)

Sum's it up perfectly when a club official from the AFL team we work for has asked us to send someone to Victoria to discuss how their brand may be affected in Sydney by this. It's a cluster ****.

and there's going to be fallout, Not just for the Swan's which is Huge but Aussie Rules as a code and AFL as a brand in Sydney.
I was chatting with a bloke from the Swan's in house marketing earlier (we share some products) when i brought this up he looked at me and said
"how do you make the point that we've done nothing wrong and that this is nothing more than a vendetta, without running the risk being seen as criticising the AFL administration, Which would also have a damaging impact in our market?"

It's lose, lose. Now this is just my opinion not related to anything to do with Sydney Swans Ltd nor the AFL club we (the company i work for) have accounts with, But i think this move is going to cost the Swan's in members and attendances in 2015.

I can't even make any sense of it.
Follow the rules + be successful + recruit stars = draft sanctions.
as the NRL marketing team have been selling it to NRL club's, The AFL now tastes worse than drink at Todd Carney's place.

Great stuff AFL, top marketing, Sanctions for following the rules.

BILLY_DEE_APPLAUSE_web-large_medium.gif

Did I read this right. The AFL has asked your company to send a representative down there specifically to discuss preserving their image after they've ****ed the Swans for no reason?

Then I suggest a quick information pack with supporting evidence that the AFL brand is now sickening might be helpful.

This whole Vassal Liege Lord relationship they've got going certainly holds no appeal for Non Victorian consumers, I'm sure.

If what you're saying is true we already have massive brand destruction for the club and and the code occuring.

Sue.

I recommend the Swans rallies their corporate partners.

A letter cosigned by Volkswagen, QBE, Citibank etc demanding to know why their images are being unfairly tied to a club that is being sanctioned for what looks to the uninitiated like a draft tampering/cheating scandal?

They don't care whether the Swans are guilty or not. They care what consumers who don't even follow football might be thinking!!!

After A few days of thinking this through a little more & reading Mike Fitzpatrick has an interest in ANZ, well timing can be everything,our contract is up end of the year 2015ish with ANZ, hit him where it hurts, NO DEAL! for ANZ,sign exclusively to SCG,enjoy the empty stadium brother!

"Thanks for the email and for letting us know your thoughts.
Like you, we’re baffled by the decision and we will continue to discuss the restrictions in place with the AFL administration and Commission.
We’ll inform everyone whenever there’s an update."

Received a reply from The Swans PR/media management- autogenerated or not I think everybody should look at getting in contact with the club by a phone call or an email.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walk over, tap him on the shoulder. Tell him you've just flown in from Liberia, and that you're a massive fan.

And then vomit blood all over him. :p

Just keep referring to him as a racist ... from what I can tell it's pretty much the only issue that's come up around him in recent yuears that he KNOWS he got wrong, and has tried to backpedal and bullsh1t his way out of for more than a year. Any interaction or correspondence with him, make reference to that and he'll lose it, he'll get flustered and lose that infuriating phony "voice of reason" persona he's bestowed on himself ... and then point out how irrelevant Collingwood has become since he engineered the malthouse-Buckley handover, just to see the fat head really explode ...

Now here's the bit most Vic clubs conveniently forget, we are a foundation club,thankfully forced to SYDNEY or fold,(I was always on board with the move otherwise we were dead,read Fitzroy) howeve after leaving us with little or no resources they decided to privatize us,not only did they make the wrong choice of consortiums but we had to pay the league twice "license fees" (seriously WTF) that went directly back to Vic clubs which enabled a few to survive!so instead of going for the more stable group headed by Basil Sellars, the league took highest bidder,once this flopped we were worse than back to square one!
So when I hear we've always been the Leagues love child my retort is strong and direct, and hits them in the eyes,

I haven't followed the entire debate, but I would suggest what you've outlined could then be followed up with ...

The argument that TV rights and the AFL's desire to dominate in the rugby league markets mean the AFL is always looking to ensure the Swans stay strong (ie, the "lovechild" argument) would be undermined by the fact South Melbourne was sent to Sydney in 1982, well before the VFL became the AFL and surely before any genuine vision of a national competition and subsequent national TV marketing bonanza ...

I could be off the mark on that point but my understanding was that the VFL sent the Swans to Sydney as a convenient way to solve a problem it didn't want to deal with at the time, ie, getting rid of a "poor" club. I'd have thought, looking back now, that VFL officials probably expected that the Swans would eventually die off in Sydney (they were hardly given great suport in the early days) but that it would be out of the Victorian spotlight and/or could be simply blamed on the "ignorant mungo Sydney rugby league boofheads" ...

... anyway ...

I am fuming like everyone else about this @@@@ed up decision by this joke of administration, but we need to use this, aswell as the GF loss to those @@@@ers and come out next year and be ruthless and stick it up the bastards!

Did I read this right. The AFL has asked your company to send a representative down there specifically to discuss preserving their image after they've ****** the Swans for no reason?

Then I suggest a quick information pack with supporting evidence that the AFL brand is now sickening might be helpful.

This whole Vassal Liege Lord relationship they've got going certainly holds no appeal for Non Victorian consumers, I'm sure.

If what you're saying is true we already have massive brand destruction for the club and and the code occuring.

Sue.

no the club we work for which is a Melbourne club are concerned about how the AFL's ******* over sydney has affected the perception of the AFL in Sydney and by extension the club's brand.

Believe it or not because Sydney's such a fledgling market any hit against the AFL has a negative impact in Sydney in terms of support for all club's.

this affect's budgets in a huge way, particular when you market to an area where you have no traditional exposure or marketing campaigns.

no the club we work for which is a Melbourne club are concerned about how the AFL's ******* over sydney has affected the perception of the AFL in Sydney and by extension the club's brand.

Believe it or not because Sydney's such a fledgling market any hit against the AFL has a negative impact in Sydney in terms of support for all club's.

this affect's budgets in a huge way, particular when you market to an area where you have no traditional exposure or marketing campaigns.

Well that's even better. Hope they get a massive kick in the branding nuts.

F eddie & the AFL. Seriously... now they're impacting my sleeping patterns. Had to get up & research AFL income streams to boycott. Maybe we should start a thread listing all the boycottable things? Maybe add a list of contact details to voice our disapproval also?

E.g. Toyota, customerrelations@toyota 1300 555 555 (not real details) etc etc

?????

I just feel like we have to do somthing that doesn't hurt the club but shows we are not happy. At the least if we as a BF community of passionate bloods fans can get even 20 cars not sold and proudly described why it may have an impact. 20 cars at about $30000 ea is a $600000 statement. Any business owners out there willing to do this with a fleet would be most welcome!!

F eddie & the AFL. Seriously... now they're impacting my sleeping patterns. Had to get up & research AFL income streams to boycott. Maybe we should start a thread listing all the boycottable things? Maybe add a list of contact details to voice our disapproval also?

E.g. Toyota, customerrelations@toyota 1300 555 555 (not real details) etc etc

?????

I just feel like we have to do somthing that doesn't hurt the club but shows we are not happy. At the least if we as a BF community of passionate bloods fans can get even 20 cars not sold and proudly described why it may have an impact. 20 cars at about $30000 ea is a $600000 statement. Any business owners out there willing to do this with a fleet would be most welcome!!

All you need is 30 members to sign a letter saying they will not purchase a Toyota until this ban is lifted and the result will be the same.

And if any of those members currently own a Toyota they'll be on file as already existing customers that are officially lost to the company.

Get signing.

1000 signatures should do the trick.

Our outrage over the trading ban is nothing compared to Mrs. Jolly's over her dud auction result.

You've got to keep things in perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back