Outside Players (handball recievers) (excessive baggage)

Remove this Banner Ad

leondavis21

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks, Gonzaga
was just thinking today we really dont have any outside players in our midfield! players with a heart, who continually put their bodies in for 4 quarters. This is the reason why we are a chance in september!!

was watching the cartlon brisbane game on friday and noticed something very distinctive! apart from the 3rd quarter when carlton opened the game up, 2 supposibly high class midfielders went missing, like they do time and time again when the contest is tight and no room to run!! Gibbs and Murphy!!

thanks God our midfield is hard and tough, which is what we need to win a premiership after all!!

go pies!!

I know this is the Collingwood board, and objectivity can go missing when discussing Carlton, but Murphy is no receiver. Sure, he is a good outside player, he plays his best footy on the outside. But he is more than capable of winning his own ball, is very good in contested situations. Gibbs is probably more outside than Murphy, but that's only because he has the luxury of Judd, McLean, Hadley [prior to McLean] and Murphy feeding him the ball. He too can win his own ball.

Our pure receiver is Alan Didak, but with the progress of Beams and Sidebottom, and the introduction of Ball, he will play predominately forward. Johnson too is a receiver, isn't really good at winning contested footy. We have Obree and Ball as pure inside midfielders; Pendlebury, Beams, Wellingham and Sidebottom as hybrids; Thomas is more outside but can win his own ball. Davis is a hybrid too, but will play mostly forward.

well yer, didak is true forward, so he doesnt count, as does leon!!

well i still wouldnt count on murphy in a contested situation and a tight game!!

I think all teams need one or 2 of these outside type players. They are generally the ones who have good/solid speed and excellent skills but lack the defensive side to their game.

The problem with the carlton ones is neither are very quick, one a plodder, and only one has excellent foot skills, added to neither are accountable for an opponent. The result is good when you have the footy but once the opposition has it, they are more damaging because of better foot skills their opponent generally has.

I think Dids & Leon play the outside role well when not playing forward because of the attributes that make a good outside player.

Didak last year was probably the most outside player I have ever seen, he won't even pick the ball up if someone is on his tail he will kick it along the ground. Him playing in the forward line more this year may discount him now but I think we may be marking our players too easily if we think they are all Lenny Hayes tough inside midfielders.
Davis is another one who would be considered more an outside player, I don't think having some outside players is a bad thing, they are usually your classy players. But it is important they do go in when they are needed.

Take your black & white glasses off.

Murphy is a gun, plain and simple. Probably would be our second best midfielder.

I think all teams need one or 2 of these outside type players. They are generally the ones who have good/solid speed and excellent skills but lack the defensive side to their game.

The problem with the carlton ones is neither are very quick, one a plodder, and only one has excellent foot skills, added to neither are accountable for an opponent. The result is good when you have the footy but once the opposition has it, they are more damaging because of better foot skills their opponent generally has.

I think Dids & Leon play the outside role well when not playing forward because of the attributes that make a good outside player.

Didak isn't overly accountable either. Murphy has underrated pace, much like Swan [though not quite as quick as our Dane]. I think Murphy is an absolute star, would love him at the Pies. He isn't accountable, but his role at Carlton is to play as an attacking midfielder, as they need midfielders to kick goals. Gibbs on the other hand is accountable, he was developed as a tagger, and still does well in a negating role. However, I have noticed that when given the license to attack, his accountability does diminish significantly [you expect this to occur to an extent].

We can point out their flaws all we like, but both Murphy and Gibbs are excellent players. One this is for sure though, we can exploit them on the rebound when we play them.

Murphy is a gun, plain and simple. Probably would be our second best midfielder.

I'd say second or third too. Swan clearly ahead, Pendlebury on par, though they play vastly different roles. He would compliment Pendles perfectly actually.

To be honest, I totally disagree. I think we have too many outside midfielders.

Wellingham, Didak, Davis, Johnson, are all outside midfielders. I don't see too much of a difference between us and Carlton in this respect.

To be honest, I totally disagree. I think we have too many outside midfielders.

Wellingham, Didak, Davis, Johnson, are all outside midfielders. I don't see too much of a difference between us and Carlton in this respect.

Wellingham and Davis are both more than capable of winning their own ball. Didak and Johnson definitely are though.

Wellingham and Davis are both more than capable of winning their own ball. Didak and Johnson definitely are though.

Agree re Didak and Johnson and Wellingham, but not sure on Leon.

I admit to not being as sold on Leon as a lot on BF, but I think he is much better left as a crumbing forward, where he undoubtedly has the potential to turn matches.

I don't have good recollections of him tearing into packs, as a midfielder winning his own ball, in fact more the reverse TBH.

That's only my Canberra TV impression, which could be completely wrong and I'll be thrilled if others vehemently disagree and correct my errant thinking.

Plus i'd like to see him follow Diasy's lead, ie work his guts out, and less of the 'try too hard to look brilliant' stuff.

That style would stand up much better in pressure cooker finals aswell I'd think, where he could clearly has the ability to make such a difference to the end result.

You not basing this on one quarter Murphy played at the GABBA by any chance ?
Swan and Pendles are better than Murphy already and Beams will join them soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd thread. Last year the commonly-held school of thought was that we didn't have enough inside mids.

At any rate, we have one less outside mid now that BJ has gone down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back