Ovens and King 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear Wang town will officially have a Super rules (over 35's)side submitted into comp for this season... Goodluck to the guys getting this team up off the ground and running

Been pretty quiet on the recruiting so far this off season. Maybe the points system is keeping players a little more loyal to their club which is a good thing. Think there is a few bumps to iron out but if it slows down movement I think that is a good thing.
Hasn't really been any news on players from any of the big clubs. Glenrowan just one or two, Bright haven't heard of any, Tarra one or two, Milawa haven't heard of any as yet either.
Looks like there might not be much movement in the ladder next year if things go the same. Glenrowan still the team to beat. Milawa and bright will be right there again and Tarra, King Valley, Doon got a little bit of work to do to catch up.
If it is correct on here that Goorambat have picked up a few then that is good for the league also. Should be a ripper contest next year. Hopefully Glenrowan can fall a way a little bit to really even the comp out.

Too many people are focused on the points system, player payments etc as the cause of player loyalty.
The problem starts way before that....and the league is focusing on the wrong answers to the issue of competition balancing.
The problem starts with the disintegration of the under 18s comp. No longer do clubs have a list of guys coming up through the ranks who have spent a significant amount of time around their local club, looking up to the senior players and aspiring to play senior footy for their club. As an outsider looking in, Bright seem to have that going for them, with a lot of guys playing senior and reserve footy having played thirds at the club...anyone confirm that?
That is the thing that will bring real balance, loyalty and success to clubs in our area. Couple that with a strong "code of conduct" and club culture of good sportsmanship and clubs will thrive.

Too many people are focused on the points system, player payments etc as the cause of player loyalty.
The problem starts way before that....and the league is focusing on the wrong answers to the issue of competition balancing.
The problem starts with the disintegration of the under 18s comp. No longer do clubs have a list of guys coming up through the ranks who have spent a significant amount of time around their local club, looking up to the senior players and aspiring to play senior footy for their club. As an outsider looking in, Bright seem to have that going for them, with a lot of guys playing senior and reserve footy having played thirds at the club...anyone confirm that?
That is the thing that will bring real balance, loyalty and success to clubs in our area. Couple that with a strong "code of conduct" and club culture of good sportsmanship and clubs will thrive.

I'm sure this has been spoken about before, but is it time to align the Wang junior league with O&K clubs so that there is a pathway for kids?
The O&M looks after itself with the so called best kids playing in town.
It would be interesting to see how many kids stop playing from u/16 level to u/18.
I agree that this is where some of the problem starts. I disagree that the points system and salary cap won't help the problem. But time will tell on this one I guess.
One issue that I think is causing an issue in the local area is clubs offering kids (18,19,20yr olds) pretty good money to play at a lower level. If a club has money and wants to spend it that is fine. Well done to them. But if you haven't got your own thirds side and start targeting other clubs juniors in my opinion is wrong. Unfortunately money talks so even if the club has been great to the junior, the offer of $100 plus a game is hard to resist. Loyalty doesn't seem to be an issue. The best offer usually wins out!

some good points, and I agree that the points & cap system will help somewhat but wont fix the problem at the end of the day.

I think there would be lots of young guys that try out at the O&M clubs and if they don't get a game probably just don't play footy anymore...sad really. And yes the window between 16 & 18 would see a lot of young guys drop away. But I really think that it is because the under 18s comp is weak, and almost non existent for o&k in general. I played every game this year and I think I only saw one game of thirds for the entire season outside of finals.

Been pretty quiet on the recruiting so far this off season. Maybe the points system is keeping players a little more loyal to their club which is a good thing. Think there is a few bumps to iron out but if it slows down movement I think that is a good thing.
Hasn't really been any news on players from any of the big clubs. Glenrowan just one or two, Bright haven't heard of any, Tarra one or two, Milawa haven't heard of any as yet either.
Looks like there might not be much movement in the ladder next year if things go the same. Glenrowan still the team to beat. Milawa and bright will be right there again and Tarra, King Valley, Doon got a little bit of work to do to catch up.
If it is correct on here that Goorambat have picked up a few then that is good for the league also. Should be a ripper contest next year. Hopefully Glenrowan can fall a way a little bit to really even the comp out.

Luke mullins and jon mccormick could be joining milawa, will close the gap right up on glenrowan if they snag them 2

Only just going on what Luke himself has said

Not doubting that at all. The rumor has been going around for the last 12 months or so. Knowing both guys I think they would like to play together where Jon's father played and Luke's grandfather coached.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard hooper to whorouly also. Is he coaching material or is he just chasing a better dollar?

Ben Clarke has trained with wang Maggie's

Sam Maddern playing down bendigo next season

I've heard hooper to whorouly also. Is he coaching material or is he just chasing a better dollar?

Ben Clarke has trained with wang Maggie's

Sam Maddern playing down bendigo next season
Sam Maddern playing at Kangaroo Flat in BFNL
big step up from O&K is he any good ?

Milawa will be fine even if they lose a couple. Good club who are always competitive. may not be flag favourites but will not drop too far away. Is the Hooper Rumour correct? Cant see him being a brilliant Coach but good get as a player. His brother is out there isn't he? Ben Clarke should have a go at Maggies. Very good player.

Whorouly must have some money to get Hooper away from milawa

Reckon Whorouly have had a pretty even spread of players 2013-2015 which has left them mid-table or thereabouts & possibly some coin to spend without being extravagant. That said, I believe it's not the first time they've thrown a truckload of cash at an individual.

some good points, and I agree that the points & cap system will help somewhat but wont fix the problem at the end of the day.

I think there would be lots of young guys that try out at the O&M clubs and if they don't get a game probably just don't play footy anymore...sad really. And yes the window between 16 & 18 would see a lot of young guys drop away. But I really think that it is because the under 18s comp is weak, and almost non existent for o&k in general. I played every game this year and I think I only saw one game of thirds for the entire season outside of finals.
Been rumoured that in some areas clubs have commenced recruiting 12-13 year olds in an attempt to increase players that will be deemed 'Home Grown' under the points system .
Maybe the solution is in the Past and the AFL should be just getting rid of junior leagues so that players have an alliance to senior clubs from when they commence playing .
Alleged that only 5% of kids who play in junior leagues play any sought of senior age footy . In comparison over 50% of kids, who play their junior footy within clubs who have junior and senior clubs , play senior footy .

So with the expected announcement of Nathan Hooper as the new coach of whorouly as has been widely speculated, I'm curious as to the acquisitions in recent years to the club of full forwards? Obviously had a very good run for well over a decade with Darren bate, leading into Gene Marek, Daniel west, Richie leahy, Peter cook - obviously didn't play enough to show his class but is well credentialed and now Nathan Hooper? Makes me wonder if hooper is to coach what firepower he can bring to the club to ensure the pill gets down that end of the ground for them post big enough scores to win games? I personally believe it's their back half that needs the big name recruits to cut the flow of scoring against them, much like what Glenrowan have been able to do in recent years by having players like max Scott etc convert themselves to become very good rebound defenders!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back