Ovens and King Football League 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Get it forward

All Australian
Nov 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Why not address why less people are playing football .
Removing the weakest link simply makes someone else the weakest link and puts them into the firing line .

Yes don't disagree at all! But addressing why blokes aren't playing will not just happen over night!

There really needs to be a lot of work done with the path way from junior football to senior football. From memory Wangaratta (not sure on benalla and surrounding areas) has one of the biggest aus kick programs going around. But then from there it starts to fall down. We have all seen the rapid decline in the o&k thirds.

I think there needs to be an alignment program introduced between junior league clubs and o&k clubs. This way the kids have somewhere to go once they have finished junior footy. The O&M and GV thirds looks after themselves as they attract the best kids.

Reasons why there isn't players around to play seconds footy( as this is the problem we are dealing with)

Local business and industry is now a 7 day a week thing. Not just Monday to Friday! Everything comes down to money these days. People are choosing to work on weekends instead of playing "for the love of it"!

Job security is a big thing. You get injured on the weekend playing football not many employers like you taking time off. They will just employ the next bloke in line.

I would like to know the figures of how many people actually live in the towns of o&k clubs. Everyone is drawing from the same places. Eg Wangaratta and benalla. Farms arnt what they used to be and the number of people in rural areas is declining!

I could go on. But I'm sure you get my drift. And "I think" this is why AFL Victoria (VCFL) have changed their roles within their organization is to deal and come up with solutions. Are those decision going to suit everyone? No.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes don't disagree at all! But addressing why blokes aren't playing will not just happen over night!

There really needs to be a lot of work done with the path way from junior football to senior football. From memory Wangaratta (not sure on benalla and surrounding areas) has one of the biggest aus kick programs going around. But then from there it starts to fall down. We have all seen the rapid decline in the o&k thirds.

I think there needs to be an alignment program introduced between junior league clubs and o&k clubs. This way the kids have somewhere to go once they have finished junior footy. The O&M and GV thirds looks after themselves as they attract the best kids.

Reasons why there isn't players around to play seconds footy( as this is the problem we are dealing with)

Local business and industry is now a 7 day a week thing. Not just Monday to Friday! Everything comes down to money these days. People are choosing to work on weekends instead of playing "for the love of it"!

Job security is a big thing. You get injured on the weekend playing football not many employers like you taking time off. They will just employ the next bloke in line.

I would like to know the figures of how many people actually live in the towns of o&k clubs. Everyone is drawing from the same places. Eg Wangaratta and benalla. Farms arnt what they used to be and the number of people in rural areas is declining!

I could go on. But I'm sure you get my drift. And "I think" this is why AFL Victoria (VCFL) have changed their roles within their organization is to deal and come up with solutions. Are those decision going to suit everyone? No.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond

Agree but surely for the long term benefit of communities and football there is a preference to long term solutions than short term fixes ( or masking of bigger problems ).
As for declining senior players despite the stability or increasing of junior aus kick numbers .
There has been a large push for some time to centralize junior football in major towns where the senior teams cater for a astronomically small amount of local players leaving junior competitions . That may be due to a players ability or physical development when they leave junior football and the increase of non local recruitment .
Which is the purpose of minor leagues , to cater for players who are not capable to play major league football and sometimes that extends to commitment , including due to work .
It starts by building localized junior competitions who have an attachment with senior clubs which in turns builds playing membership and yes that may mean at the loss of junior football leagues .

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Why then has the junior league in Benalla reduced the no off teams from 3 to 2 and Mansfield 2to 1 leaving approx 40 kids without the oppertunity to play?
Also Swanpool for at least 20 years had a junior team aligned with their club but was removed how is this improving football participation?

onewinaway

Draftee
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn't he step down from the coaching job at the valley to spend more time with his family? if he has signed for Rutherglen wouldn't there be more traveling playing for them then at the valley? if so that's less time he will have with his family. and I have heard off a few people that he promise the playing group at the end of last year that he would stay on and play any truth to that ?? Rumourmill18

Rumourmill18

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
All of what your saying is correct from what I gather, but it also raises the question of why hasn't he been training with king valley and why hasn't he re-signed on paper... If he promised to stick around again I can't see why he wouldn't put pen to paper again and crush all these rumours about going to other clubs. I guess time will tell

onewinaway

Draftee
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
well if Sessions does leave the valley, u gotta feel sorry for the valley from what I have heard they have done the right thing by him and let him step down from the coaching so he could spend more time with his family. It well not look good if he walks out on them !!!!! Rumormill18

Get it forward

All Australian
Nov 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
well if Sessions does leave the valley, u gotta feel sorry for the valley from what I have heard they have done the right thing by him and let him step down from the coaching so he could spend more time with his family. It well not look good if he walks out on them !!!!! Rumormill18

Sounds similar to Jamie Bell! He did that at Tarra when he first left and then did it at nth wang. Words never mean a thing to some these days. Unless it is signed its a no deal!

onewinaway

Draftee
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
yeah there is no loyal players anymore all they want is money, money, money, and will go anywhere to get it. Even if it means staying at each club for one or two years then moving on for more money. and that's what has wrecked country footy and the O&k. From what I have heard the valley is a great family club with heaps of young kids there so why wouldn't Sessions want to keep his family there. ?

ladakah

Debutant
Dec 15, 2013
Close By
AFL Club
Geelong
Didn't he step down from the coaching job at the valley to spend more time with his family? if he has signed for Rutherglen wouldn't there be more traveling playing for them then at the valley? if so that's less time he will have with his family. and I have heard off a few people that he promise the playing group at the end of last year that he would stay on and play any truth to that ?? Rumourmill18

He lives in Wang and travel to Rutherglen would be about the same as valley if he only trained in Rutherglen one night a week.

onewinaway

Draftee
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah but wouldn't the travel on game day for Rutherglen be more then in the O&K ? also I have heard that the valley do all there pre Season in wang. also train one night a week in wang when the season start !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ladakah

Debutant
Dec 15, 2013
Close By
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah but wouldn't the travel on game day for Rutherglen be more then in the O&K ? also I have heard that the valley do all there pre Season in wang. also train one night a week in wang when the season start !!

Arguably yeah he would have to travel more on game day. Beechworth would be the closest place to wang but in that league is places like dederang and Mitta. i have also heard that too about Valley, same for the girls so its not just a footy thing

Trotta

Senior List
Jan 12, 2007
Benalla
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Why then has the junior league in Benalla reduced the no off teams from 3 to 2 and Mansfield 2to 1 leaving approx 40 kids without the oppertunity to play?
Also Swanpool for at least 20 years had a junior team aligned with their club but was removed how is this improving football participation?

I would argue that "fact" Bush Footy lover. There is no way there are 40 kids missing out. If they had that many the comp would still be continuing! The only reason why the teams have been reduced is because the playing numbers have progressively decline over the last 5+ years. Given in 2013 there were only enough players to field three teams, playing the same side every second week could not continue in 2014. The kids would have walked away. By joining the Wang comp, they get exposed to quality opposition, the competitiveness increases and as a result they will play a better standard of Footy.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I would argue that "fact" Bush Footy lover. There is no way there are 40 kids missing out. If they had that many the comp would still be continuing! The only reason why the teams have been reduced is because the playing numbers have progressively decline over the last 5+ years. Given in 2013 there were only enough players to field three teams, playing the same side every second week could not continue in 2014. The kids would have walked away. By joining the Wang comp, they get exposed to quality opposition, the competitiveness increases and as a result they will play a better standard of Footy.

I must disagree their was only 2 Benalla teams in A division for years plus one based at Goorambat and one at Swanpool. Last year Mansfield had 35 kids that they rotated through one team and were left out of the original Wang deal untill they threatened leagal action.
By creating a more elite comp does not necasarily create more particpation .

The Bunyip

Team Captain
Jan 23, 2012
Upper Kumbuckta West
AFL Club
Carlton
No.......... but thanks for asking. Seriously though, when I attended training before Xmas I met two players who've signed. Was told at that stage there were many "irons in the fire" & more players were expected to agree to terms. I've nothing to do with recruiting so I know little more than you.

Rumourmill18

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haven't heard much but can imagine having recruited so many players that some are going to miss out on a spot which I think will cause some upsets by the time the season starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bunyip

Team Captain
Jan 23, 2012
Upper Kumbuckta West
AFL Club
Carlton
I hear Greta have recruited a few players bunyip... Can you give us some names?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're right to go now. Just wanted to wait until after our committee meeting before responding.
At this stage Jackson Hourigan from Benalla Saints has indeed signed. We have also signed Ryan Patterson & Matt Hill from Wang Rovers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back