Ovens and King Football League 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Since round 15 Milawa have been thumped by Glenrowan, Tarra and Bonnie Doon – prior to last week they were well and truly on the nose.

They don’t deserve favoritism, and for the sake of the competition I hope they don’t make it – ‘cause if they do the prelim will be a humiliation.

Interestingly for Tarra all three games against KV have been close (only a kick in it at ¾ time). So I’ll go with Tarra by 4 goals.

BD have one loss for the season – in round 2. So I think they deserve it and will win by 3 points.

In the Reserves – KV will smash Tarra by 8 goals, and Milawa look the goods on Sunday.

Looking forward at next year and the impact the PPS will have being reduced from 46 to 42...
Points used last game by each side.

Glenrowan 46/46
BD. 43/46
GBat 49/50
Tarra 36/46
Milawa. 29/46
KV 31/46
Bright. 26/46
Moyhu. 26/46 (CJ only 1 point??)
Whorouly. 31/46
All Blacks. 43/50
Greta. 26/46
NW. 32/46

By my calculations BD, GBat,
Glenrowan, and all blacks will not be able to recruit except to replace anyone they lose from this years side. Any current player that's more than a 1 pointer will lose a point for playing this year which should allow them to come back under the revised figure of 42 points. I'm assuming that a club who was given an additional 4 points this year would need a pretty strong argument to be granted additional points again next year? Surely GBats have recruited well enough and made finals that they won't be granted more points again?

That in combination with the salary cap if it is in fact operating next year will make for some interesting conversations at a couple of clubs.

Interesting point, the second and third years of the points cap will allow the greater public to see the effects on the competition, i believe the points cap and a sustainable salary cap is the best thing for every league in Australia.

Loyalty was once synonymous with football , it's good to see it on the way back into peoples football outlook.

Looking forward at next year and the impact the PPS will have being reduced from 46 to 42...
Points used last game by each side.

Glenrowan 46/46
BD. 43/46
GBat 49/50
Tarra 36/46
Milawa. 29/46
KV 31/46
Bright. 26/46
Moyhu. 26/46 (CJ only 1 point??)
Whorouly. 31/46
All Blacks. 43/50
Greta. 26/46
NW. 32/46

By my calculations BD, GBat,
Glenrowan, and all blacks will not be able to recruit except to replace anyone they lose from this years side. Any current player that's more than a 1 pointer will lose a point for playing this year which should allow them to come back under the revised figure of 42 points. I'm assuming that a club who was given an additional 4 points this year would need a pretty strong argument to be granted additional points again next year? Surely GBats have recruited well enough and made finals that they won't be granted more points again?

That in combination with the salary cap if it is in fact operating next year will make for some interesting conversations at a couple of clubs.

You will find that CJ and others from the league they came from don't have the points system so therefor are only worth one point in another league. Doesn't make sense to me but that is the ruling!!!

You will find that CJ and others from the league they came from don't have the points system so therefor are only worth one point in another league. Doesn't make sense to me but that is the ruling!!!
Sounds like a pretty simple equation to work out their points if coming Into a league that does have a points system. You would calculate their points exactly the same as you would if they were from any other district league. Should all be worth 3 points I would think.

Sounds like a pretty simple equation to work out their points if coming Into a league that does have a points system. You would calculate their points exactly the same as you would if they were from any other district league. Should all be worth 3 points I would think.

Yep totally agree with you. But that's not the rule!!

Bonnie Doon weren't very impressive today. Anyone else see the game... What are your thoughts? Glenrowan were in it from the first bounce, hard to see them not taking out the premiership this year.

Glenrowan were sensational today and they just keep doing it .. Hats off to em and Bonnie Doon were .... I'm not really sure ?!? Be intersesting to see who wins tomorrow as the door seems ajar now for the winner .. Next Saturday will be a slugfest with 3 inches of rain forecasted for the week .. Today's game may have been a real good one to win . Can Bonnie Doon bounce back ? Dunno why but thinking Milawa . Is there any better big game players in the Comp than Luke Fox and Gus Gray ? They do it year after year

I believe BD had a full team, however the Tigers were without Cunningham and Fisher-Curnow.

You would have to expect an improved performance from Doon next week.
Herbert won't be kept that quiet 2 weeks in a row. Some injury concerns for Tarra out of the last 2 weeks also which could have an impact on the prelim result.
I'm still expecting the Tigers to win it and win it pretty comfortably in the end but I'm hoping they either Tarra or Doon can out up a good fight.
Seconds is as good as decided already.

What's everyone's tips for this weekend? I'm thinking BD by two goals, only because I feel Tarra will be carrying injuries from having to play every week of finals and it would be an embarrassment if Bonnie Doon went out in straight sets - so they will be eager to turn last weeks crap performance into a good one.

Reserves could go either way and I don't think either teams would care to be in the reserves gf, because King Valley already have their name engraved on the cup by the sounds of it. However, I think Tarra by 25 points.

What's everyone's tips for this weekend? I'm thinking BD by two goals, only because I feel Tarra will be carrying injuries from having to play every week of finals and it would be an embarrassment if Bonnie Doon went out in straight sets - so they will be eager to turn last weeks crap performance into a good one.

Reserves could go either way and I don't think either teams would care to be in the reserves gf, because King Valley already have their name engraved on the cup by the sounds of it. However, I think Tarra by 25 points.

I reckon they're fuming down at Bonnie Doon, i agree with the injuries taking their toll on Tarra, but after such a strong year from both teams in the prelim i can't pick a winner.

In saying that motivation would be higher at the Doon after an insipid outing, they'll get it done by a goal.

As for the reserves after all the hype i am hoping for an upset!

I reckon they're fuming down at Bonnie Doon, i agree with the injuries taking their toll on Tarra, but after such a strong year from both teams in the prelim i can't pick a winner.

In saying that motivation would be higher at the Doon after an insipid outing, they'll get it done by a goal.

As for the reserves after all the hype i am hoping for an upset!

I have to agree with the fuming part. Apparently after the game last weekend the Bonnie Doon president was crying because of the costs associated with getting a good team and possibly being out of reach of a flag again this season... Understandable, however it goes back to that saying - you can have a team full of champions but a champion team is always the deal breaker.

I have to agree with the fuming part. Apparently after the game last weekend the Bonnie Doon president was crying because of the costs associated with getting a good team and possibly being out of reach of a flag again this season... Understandable, however it goes back to that saying - you can have a team full of champions but a champion team is always the deal breaker.

By the looks of the match, Glenrowan were just a whole new level. AND still have Cunningham and Fisher-Curnow to come back into the side. Scary stuff.

I still believe BD has what it takes, the systems in place allow good players to work together and when the game is on the line, their match winners can lift. In grand finals it is all about who can fire when needed, as well as actually just getting there.

Crying after a loss shows passion for footy, i'd buy him a beer if i ever meet him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the looks of the match, Glenrowan were just a whole new level. AND still have Cunningham and Fisher-Curnow to come back into the side. Scary stuff.

I still believe BD has what it takes, the systems in place allow good players to work together and when the game is on the line, their match winners can lift. In grand finals it is all about who can fire when needed, as well as actually just getting there.

Crying after a loss shows passion for footy, i'd buy him a beer if i ever meet him.

Have heard their president is quite a good bloke. I agree, it does show compassion. However, I think it also comes down to Glenrowan's experience. If you look back to the first year when the Tigers lost the gf they still had a very good team but they were up against Milawa who had that finals experience and knowledge which got them the win.

Have heard their president is quite a good bloke. I agree, it does show compassion. However, I think it also comes down to Glenrowan's experience. If you look back to the first year when the Tigers lost the gf they still had a very good team but they were up against Milawa who had that finals experience and knowledge which got them the win.

Maybe this is the year we see that happen again. Finals time is the best time of year.

I personally would have liked to see BD Tarra GF for a bit of a change.

Maybe this is the year we see that happen again. Finals time is the best time of year.

I personally would have liked to see BD Tarra GF for a bit of a change.

I agree that a change would be good to see, but I still think that seeing Glenrowan take out a possible 3rd straight premiership is something pretty remarkable - especially after where they were a few years ago. It really shows those clubs who are struggling what can be achieved. I know there are a number of Glenrowan haters but it's quite historical... How many years has it been exactly since the last team has taken out three in a row?? I can't remember any from memory. I think Bonnie Doon could take a leaf out of their book

I agree that a change would be good to see, but I still think that seeing Glenrowan take out a possible 3rd straight premiership is something pretty remarkable - especially after where they were a few years ago. It really shows those clubs who are struggling what can be achieved. I know there are a number of Glenrowan haters but it's quite historical... How many years has it been exactly since the last team has taken out three in a row?? I can't remember any from memory. I think Bonnie Doon could take a leaf out of their book

Going from being trounced by 200 points a week to winning 3 flags consecutively WILL NOT happen again while the points system is in place, so i believe your point is invalid

I think you'll find there's a whisper going around that the points system will be dropped next year.

I think if the weather heats up in the next 2 weeks a little doon will struggle. Few blokes carrying a few too many kegs and the tiges just about to peak with a fair few fit lads out there

Interesting read the 2012 - 2013 posts on big footy everyone was pretty adamant Glenrowan would fall in a heap . 1967 the last time in the ovens and King 3 in a row . 4 grand finals in a row possibly 3 flags in a row , surely some credit must go there way for being one of the great sides in ovens and King history if they could snare a third flag . Just saying -they've copped their criticism but at some stage hats must be tipped to them . They've got players that were gonna leave after one year apparently now ticking over to 50-100 games . For a club that was going so s**t maybe just maybe they must do something right and its too easy to say it's just cash , just ask Dave Darby . Incidentally Dave Darby is one of the good people of country footy . He wears his heart on his sleeve and works tirelessly for that club along with others . Sure they've had a crack and if they fail . Better to have tried and not made it than do nothing and just drift away .
This week Bonnie Doon by 11 points possible heavy conditions will suit them better than a fast track

Tarrawingee by 40 points in the twos

I think you'll find there's a whisper going around that the points system will be dropped next year.
Dropped in favour of what? Can't see AFL Vic going to the trouble of trying to even out comps to then turn around 12 months in and drop the process entirely.

Surely not? Massive club interface, huge expenditure undertaken by AFL VIC, you'd expect that in Tassie Football but not in the heartland of Aussie Rules.

You'd be right though, the points drop would cause a stir, but a strict and harshly penalised salary cap would be the best thing for football.

Interesting read the 2012 - 2013 posts on big footy everyone was pretty adamant Glenrowan would fall in a heap . 1967 the last time in the ovens and King 3 in a row . 4 grand finals in a row possibly 3 flags in a row , surely some credit must go there way for being one of the great sides in ovens and King history if they could snare a third flag . Just saying -they've copped their criticism but at some stage hats must be tipped to them . They've got players that were gonna leave after one year apparently now ticking over to 50-100 games . For a club that was going so s**t maybe just maybe they must do something right and its too easy to say it's just cash , just ask Dave Darby . Incidentally Dave Darby is one of the good people of country footy . He wears his heart on his sleeve and works tirelessly for that club along with others . Sure they've had a crack and if they fail . Better to have tried and not made it than do nothing and just drift away .
This week Bonnie Doon by 11 points possible heavy conditions will suit them better than a fast track

Tarrawingee by 40 points in the twos

Exactly, still a great side, bought and kept the talent which is hard for most clubs, must be doing something right.

Surely not? Massive club interface, huge expenditure undertaken by AFL VIC, you'd expect that in Tassie Football but not in the heartland of Aussie Rules.

You'd be right though, the points drop would cause a stir, but a strict and harshly penalised salary cap would be the best thing for football.

The salary cap won't fix anything? They're saying that players need to have a contract, meaning you could write that the person gets paid $50 a game - when really they get paid $500 a game in cash. There's no way the league will be able to keep a lid on player payments, it's not as tho the money gets direct deposited!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back