Ovens and Murray - Pre Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ovens and Murray Part 2

ha yes a massive budget..i suppose they had to get good players from somewhere, how many games they win last yr?........3?

At least Dr Nogood knows what he's talking about. Without AFLQ clubs having to pay a transfer fee from O & M, it doesn't require a massive budget. Add to that the salary cap requirements that are the same for everyone and your argument's shot. Watch other AFLQ clubs follow suit.

Here's a stat - Eastlake first year in top comp - second last. Aspley first year in comp - second last. Three wins was one more than expected by all accounts and three more than fellow first year entrant Magpies.

Rumblings coming out of the LAVINGTON camp. Seems they have s**t in the face of O & M Life Member Les O'Brien. Seems the Netball Sheds at Lavington were named after him a few years back; but a couple of weeks ago his name disappeared from the sheds. Rumour has it, Lavi owes the O&M Legend money and the new "TIM SANSON YES MEN" committee refuses to acknowledge Les and his contribution.

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE BY THE PANTHERS, I HOPE THE WHEEL COMES FULL CIRCLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::mad::mad::mad:

A few truths about the "Les O'Brien Sheds". Two summers back many of the footy players and committee men built the netty girls a new shed and upgraded the court and its surround to comply with new vcfl rules. The "Shed" WAS NOT supposed to be named after ANYONE. After the project was finished, "someone" secretly came to the court and drilled a "Les O'Brien Shed" sign to the shed roof. Those in charge of the project never authorised or new anything about getting a "Les O'Brien Shed" sign made up, yet one-day when no one was around, the sign was put up !!
These are the facts and those interested can draw there own conclusions here-on-in. :thumbsu:

No secrets here Wonga, you and anyone on here with half a clue knows who i am, so i'll give you all the info you need and a few opinions as well.

Firstly, Brian has set the record very straight. Plenty of people (footy & netty players, committee and just those with the clubs interest at heart) put in hours and hours of their time to construct the shelter area around the LPO netball courts. Les was one such contributor and did his part in organising people like me to lift every piece of that shed from the back of a truck in 40 degree heat! Les did plenty to help get the shed up, there's no denying that, but how his name ended up on it is something of a mystery to me and most out at Panther Park. If anyone was to have their name plastered on those sheds, in my opinion it should've been a bloke by the name of Garry Braybrook, but it seems he wasn't quick enough.

I'd say those YES MEN you refer to finally got the full picture on the stand and the sign and decided to take it down. I think that the wheel you refer to completed the full circle when the sign was removed!

As for the club owing Les money, what exactly would he have done to be paid money in the first place. He spent the first of his few years at Lavi as the sprint/fitness trainer in 2001 after North decided they didn't need him. He may have done that up til about 2003 or 04 I'm guessing. For that he was allowed to have his little squad of sprinters up on the ground each afternoon. From that point on he would've been on the committee.

As for the new committee, they are doing a great job and preparing our club for the future. I'm sure they are happy to acknowledge everyone past and present and their contribution to our club, but they're not going to wallow in the past!

Website does look impressive Ringo. From my understanding it is only the beginning with clubs from QAFL coming down here to get recruits. Unlike other state leagues, Transfers have to be paid to the players club which he is leaving from. Therefore why dont you go to the best country football league to get players. Employment, Sun, surf, lifestyle, etc would be enough to get an 18 - 24 year old away from the O and M, exactly what aspley have done. Gaining key players from the comp will only enhance their recruiting ability for next year.

Something needs to be done to protect country footy next year or the same will happen again.

How many now have left the O and M? Can we get a team?

so it is ok for the o and m to poach all the good juniors from lower clubs with the lure of money for years and years, a smaller bush club develops good players and the o and m would no nothing about them untill they win best and fairest and then pounce on them with a fistfull of cash, but when someone bigger does exactly the same to you, a club that has more to offer and much more money takes your players, it is blue murder. From some of the back stabbing and rumblings that go on here perhaps player want to leave?. o and m is a great comp but politics seem to be doing it more harm than good. Look at yarrawonga a small town who has a president and committe that work super hard every year and make the bigger albury wodonga lavi clubs look second rate off the field, their is a whole town who is behind the club, then you have albury who have a rich president who loads his team with high paid players to win a premiership. i bet their was celebrations that night but not real team committed players and town behind them. footy is more than buying the best players to win a flag, its a pitty the saying a team of champions will always beat a champion team is not so true anymore. albury joss and spargo just paid for that flag, joe blow could have coached that team to a flag. good luck to apsley, and although harsh but true, qafl are doing to you what you have been doing to a lot of other leagues for years.

so it is ok for the o and m to poach all the good juniors from lower clubs with the lure of money for years and years, a smaller bush club develops good players and the o and m would no nothing about them untill they win best and fairest and then pounce on them with a fistfull of cash, but when someone bigger does exactly the same to you, a club that has more to offer and much more money takes your players, it is blue murder. From some of the back stabbing and rumblings that go on here perhaps player want to leave?. o and m is a great comp but politics seem to be doing it more harm than good. Look at yarrawonga a small town who has a president and committe that work super hard every year and make the bigger albury wodonga lavi clubs look second rate off the field, their is a whole town who is behind the club, then you have albury who have a rich president who loads his team with high paid players to win a premiership. i bet their was celebrations that night but not real team committed players and town behind them. footy is more than buying the best players to win a flag, its a pitty the saying a team of champions will always beat a champion team is not so true anymore. albury joss and spargo just paid for that flag, joe blow could have coached that team to a flag. good luck to apsley, and although harsh but true, qafl are doing to you what you have been doing to a lot of other leagues for years.

Mate the O&M clubs offer good country juniors the opportunity to play at a higher standard of football to improve themselves. Up and coming players from the Hume or Tallangatta leagues would rarely attract cash to secure their services (and thats part of the problem in that country clubs pay these younger players to stay at their clubs instead of improving themselves as footballers in the O&M or other higher leagues. Then every young bloke expects cash where ever he goes).

I don't think anyone is screaming blue murder, sides are always going to lose players, its just that the league hasn't seen one club do it so successfully in one hit. I don't know about the someone bigger comment. AFLQ is on the improve and may surpass the standard of the O&M for the first time this year, but Aspley is a virgining club in a league that has been comparable if not slighty behind the O&M for most of its existance.

I don't think anyone is screaming blue murder, sides are always going to lose players, its just that the league hasn't seen one club do it so successfully in one hit. I don't know about the someone bigger comment. AFLQ is on the improve and may surpass the standard of the O&M for the first time this year, but Aspley is a virgining club in a league that has been comparable if not slighty behind the O&M for the entirity of its existance.

I tend to disagree, a league with a NT state side and a AFL reserves side and probablay the double amount of ex AFL players cannot be behind the O and M.

Maybe the O and M should start looking at playing some of these leagues eg Tssie state league, ACT and QAFL.

[/b][/i]

I tend to disagree, a league with a NT state side and a AFL reserves side and probablay the double amount of ex AFL players cannot be behind the O and M.

Maybe the O and M should start looking at playing some of these leagues eg Tssie state league, ACT and QAFL.

Read the whole post Buddy. This year it will probably surpass the standard of the O&M. NT Thunder only came in last year and as far as the Suncoast Lions are concerned each week they have maybe 12 Brisbane listed players (because of injury and avaliability) which are mainly developing younger players. The emergence of this league has hit overdrive in the past two seasons upon the AFL's announcemnet of the Gold Coast team and injecting extra money into the area. Before 2009 the O&M was a stronger league and it will be interesting to see how the players recruited from the O&M this year achieve in AFLQ.

heading back to the act league. assume back to his previous club?
his old old club. played last few years with ainslie but queanbeyan before that. very close to 100 games. how did he perform at lavi, he is a top notch player but think he had some injury concerns last year

[/i]

Read the whole post Buddy. This year it will probably surpass the standard of the O&M. NT Thunder only came in last year and as far as the Suncoast Lions are concerned each week they have maybe 12 Brisbane listed players (because of injury and avaliability) which are mainly developing younger players. The emergence of this league has hit overdrive in the past two seasons upon the AFL's announcemnet of the Gold Coast team and injecting extra money into the area. Before 2009 the O&M was a stronger league and it will be interesting to see how the players recruited from the O&M this year achieve in AFLQ.

They should go well, I believe former Euroa player Nathan Gilliland won the best and fairest for the league up there last year

No secrets here Wonga, you and anyone on here with half a clue knows who i am, so i'll give you all the info you need and a few opinions as well.

Firstly, Brian has set the record very straight. Plenty of people (footy & netty players, committee and just those with the clubs interest at heart) put in hours and hours of their time to construct the shelter area around the LPO netball courts. Les was one such contributor and did his part in organising people like me to lift every piece of that shed from the back of a truck in 40 degree heat! Les did plenty to help get the shed up, there's no denying that, but how his name ended up on it is something of a mystery to me and most out at Panther Park. If anyone was to have their name plastered on those sheds, in my opinion it should've been a bloke by the name of Garry Braybrook, but it seems he wasn't quick enough.

I'd say those YES MEN you refer to finally got the full picture on the stand and the sign and decided to take it down. I think that the wheel you refer to completed the full circle when the sign was removed!

As for the club owing Les money, what exactly would he have done to be paid money in the first place. He spent the first of his few years at Lavi as the sprint/fitness trainer in 2001 after North decided they didn't need him. He may have done that up til about 2003 or 04 I'm guessing. For that he was allowed to have his little squad of sprinters up on the ground each afternoon. From that point on he would've been on the committee.

As for the new committee, they are doing a great job and preparing our club for the future. I'm sure they are happy to acknowledge everyone past and present and their contribution to our club, but they're not going to wallow in the past!

Thanks for the reply, but you have both missed the boat. The sign that was put up their stayed their for a number of years before being taken down, and the Lavington F N C referred to it during the season for round ups and the Border Mail even used it, say the Netball GF would be played at Lavi with teams being assigned a section of "THE LES O'BRIEN SHED".

It just shows distain for it to be taken down without explanation to the person involved. and Boxhead you would speak in support of it being taken down, cause you a Tim's brother and a yes tim, yes tim man.

I think you will find the shed was named by David Wright ... not sure on first name ... who was an official at Lavi, so the club did know about it.

Les is an icon in football and Lavi shouldn't stnd so high and mighty, you are just as disloyal if not more than North Albury !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

They should go well, I believe former Euroa player Nathan Gilliland won the best and fairest for the league up there last year
i believe that one of the o and m players was offered $950 per win and $850 per loss, not a great deal of incentive to get the 4 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the reply, but you have both missed the boat. The sign that was put up their stayed their for a number of years before being taken down, and the Lavington F N C referred to it during the season for round ups and the Border Mail even used it, say the Netball GF would be played at Lavi with teams being assigned a section of "THE LES O'BRIEN SHED".

It just shows distain for it to be taken down without explanation to the person involved. and Boxhead you would speak in support of it being taken down, cause you a Tim's brother and a yes tim, yes tim man.

I think you will find the shed was named by David Wright ... not sure on first name ... who was an official at Lavi, so the club did know about it.

Les is an icon in football and Lavi shouldn't stnd so high and mighty, you are just as disloyal if not more than North Albury !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Sounding very much like you errected the sign..

Wonga going through your posts you are quite a bitter man.You also don't have a great track record with all your "rumblings" you consistently speak of.Take a deep breath man-the world is actually a good place

First of all, no one's disputing whether the sign has been there for a few years or not, we know it has been. As Brian pointed it was put up not long after the shed was finished. The fact that the netty girls and the BMM refer to it as the Les O'Brien Shed makes perfect sense, because there has been a bloody big sign on it saying "Les O'Brien Shed"... to call it anything else during such time would've been a bit silly.

Secondly, who the **** are you to be telling me what i would speak in support of! I speak for myself and on whatever i choose to speak on. The fact that I'm tim's brother is irrelevant, neither of us had any say whether it was put up or taken down. For you own info, i'm one of the first people at Lavi to tell timba to pull his head in and i'll happily stand my ground on any issue. I've been doing it for 30 years and not about to stop now.

Further to that point it seems you have a little chip on the shoulder. Has tim perhaps told you what he thinks of you at some point, did you not give a game one day or has his honest and sometimes rude manner cut a bit deep somewhere in the past. Whatever it is you need to move on, i'm sure he has.

The first I heard the sign was down was when i read a comment by you, on here, yesterday. I couldn't care less what the shed was called to be brutally honest, the fact there is a shed there is more important. It was built to give our netballers and opposition players and supporters some shelter and protection, not as a monument to Les or anyone else for that matter.

If the shed was named by the late David Wright, than you know more than me about it. David was the CEO at the Lavi Sports Club for a number of years and did a hell of a lot work to get the sports club back from the brink of extinction. He was also a great supporter of our footy club until unfortunate passing a few years ago. David however was not on the LFC committee at any time in the last 15 years nor did he act as an official. If you think he had a part in it, than it may well have been the Sports Club and its directors that named the now "infamous shed". In which case they could well have done without the footy clubs knowledge or blessing.

I couldn't agree more, Les is icon of O&M footy, no one is disputing that. Surely he doesn't lose his icon status if his name is removed from a netti a shed at the LPO.

If you're so upset and concerned about the whole matter, speak to someone about it, rather than using an alias on this forum to moan about it. For all you know they've taken the sign down to replace it with an even bigger sign and a Bronze Statue of Les.

i believe that one of the o and m players was offered $950 per win and $850 per loss, not a great deal of incentive to get the 4 points

I would have thought pride - not cash - is always going to be the greater incentive to get the four points. I think you've just slapped 95% of the football fraternity in the face!

I would have thought pride - not cash - is always going to be the greater incentive to get the four points. I think you've just slapped 95% of the football fraternity in the face!

haha good call. dj what if he was on 950 a game whats his incentive to win then?

First of all, no one's disputing whether the sign has been there for a few years or not, we know it has been. As Brian pointed it was put up not long after the shed was finished. The fact that the netty girls and the BMM refer to it as the Les O'Brien Shed makes perfect sense, because there has been a bloody big sign on it saying "Les O'Brien Shed"... to call it anything else during such time would've been a bit silly.

Secondly, who the **** are you to be telling me what i would speak in support of! I speak for myself and on whatever i choose to speak on. The fact that I'm tim's brother is irrelevant, neither of us had any say whether it was put up or taken down. For you own info, i'm one of the first people at Lavi to tell timba to pull his head in and i'll happily stand my ground on any issue. I've been doing it for 30 years and not about to stop now.

Further to that point it seems you have a little chip on the shoulder. Has tim perhaps told you what he thinks of you at some point, did you not give a game one day or has his honest and sometimes rude manner cut a bit deep somewhere in the past. Whatever it is you need to move on, i'm sure he has.

The first I heard the sign was down was when i read a comment by you, on here, yesterday. I couldn't care less what the shed was called to be brutally honest, the fact there is a shed there is more important. It was built to give our netballers and opposition players and supporters some shelter and protection, not as a monument to Les or anyone else for that matter.

If the shed was named by the late David Wright, than you know more than me about it. David was the CEO at the Lavi Sports Club for a number of years and did a hell of a lot work to get the sports club back from the brink of extinction. He was also a great supporter of our footy club until unfortunate passing a few years ago. David however was not on the LFC committee at any time in the last 15 years nor did he act as an official. If you think he had a part in it, than it may well have been the Sports Club and its directors that named the now "infamous shed". In which case they could well have done without the footy clubs knowledge or blessing.

I couldn't agree more, Les is icon of O&M footy, no one is disputing that. Surely he doesn't lose his icon status if his name is removed from a netti a shed at the LPO.

If you're so upset and concerned about the whole matter, speak to someone about it, rather than using an alias on this forum to moan about it. For all you know they've taken the sign down to replace it with an even bigger sign and a Bronze Statue of Les.

I can tell you for certain that the shed wasn't named by David Wright or with the authorisation of the Club's Board of Directors.

I don't know where it came from but I do know that it wasn't David or the Board.

I can tell you for certain that the shed wasn't named by David Wright or with the authorisation of the Club's Board of Directors.

I don't know where it came from but I do know that it wasn't David or the Board.

thanks panther. Don't worry, wonga is bound to have all the answers. He knows more about the joint the we do it seems.

Thanks for the reply, but you have both missed the boat. The sign that was put up their stayed their for a number of years before being taken down, (snip inaccurate rubbish)

If you were fair dinkum you would ask the Panther netty girls their take on the sign.

Self promotion, 99 times out of 10, is rarely any recommendation.

Re: Ovens and Murray Part 3

surely a little bit more happening around the o & m then a sign being taken down?

confirmed practice matches for clubs so far?

Agree - lets move on from the Lavi Shed saga.....

Some Q&A for 2010:-

Premiers? Albury

GF teams? Albury V Yarra

Biggest Headline? Mackie applies for clearance to Raiders

2nd Biggest Headline? Robbie Walker named in the snrs.

3rd Biggest Headline? Shir is back.

Morris Medal? K. Stevens

Recruits? Will Brad Thompson dominate games like he did in 98,99,00,01,02,03 and 04.

Agree - lets move on from the Lavi Shed saga.....

Some Q&A for 2010:-

Premiers? Albury

GF teams? Albury V Yarra

Biggest Headline? Mackie applies for clearance to Raiders

2nd Biggest Headline? Robbie Walker named in the snrs.

3rd Biggest Headline? Shir is back.

Morris Medal? K. Stevens

Recruits? Will Brad Thompson dominate games like he did in 98,99,00,01,02,03 and 04.
premiers yarra
gf yarra v albury
headline one netball shed sign put back up at lavi !!
headline two netball shed sign taken back down
headline three cupido backs trifector in melb cup donates money to nth albury . money to be spent on sign for netball shed
morris medal cupido

premiers yarra
gf yarra v albury
headline one netball shed sign put back up at lavi !!
headline two netball shed sign taken back down
headline three cupido backs trifector in melb cup donates money to nth albury . money to be spent on sign for netball shed
morris medal cupido

Premiers Yarra
Gf Yarra v's Albury
Headline one . . Players suspened for abusing umpires after they put on a disgraceful performance
Headline two . . Party Time for myrtleford, Win first game against Wang Magpies
Headline three . . Albury blew it after being up at anzac day, lose to north in thriller

Morris Medal - Matt McDonald
Leading Goal kicker - Leslie
a little biast there and a few long shots but see how things pan out hey haha :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back