Ovens & King football 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent idea

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The sooner this Saturday Wang juniors is disbanded the better off the region will be in regards to player retention and more local kids playing in a proper club environment as time goes by nothing stays the same and I think the Wang Juniors has run its course
Mansfielsd and Benalla have been advised that the GV be incorporating an extra junior team.

This is purely my opinion on the saga that is regional footy

IMO

The sooner this Saturday Wang juniors is disbanded the better off the region will be in regards to player retention and more local kids playing in a proper club environment as time goes by nothing stays the same and I think the Wang Juniors has run its course
Mansfielsd and Benalla have been advised that the GV be incorporating an extra junior team.

This is purely my opinion on the saga that is regional footy

IMO

you also have to look at the loss of kids to footy, if a kid is not good enough to play at maggies or rovers in the 3rds where all his mates are gone, it is to easy for the kid to just not play instead of starting it fresh with new team at O&K level.
I think there is a place for the Junior league but should be run as one entity not as each club. and it should be on a Sunday where it doesnt effect the O&M and O&K

you also have to look at the loss of kids to footy, if a kid is not good enough to play at maggies or rovers in the 3rds where all his mates are gone, it is to easy for the kid to just not play instead of starting it fresh with new team at O&K level.
I think there is a place for the Junior league but should be run as one entity not as each club. and it should be on a Sunday where it doesnt effect the O&M and O&K
But it has a flow on effect that does affect both leagues.
Logistically it is a nightmare.
Say you've got a 12 year old kid playing junior league, a kid in 3rds and you want to have a kick in the 2s yourself.
By chance you might score the same ground as the thirds kid, depending on who they're aligned with. But then your junior league kid has to go to mansfield on Sunday.
That's all Saturday and all Sunday due to travel etc.
Just reckon it'd make far more sense to get juniors aligned with O+K - make it an all day family affair, fathers, sons, daughters, mother's can all play on the same day.

But it has a flow on effect that does affect both leagues.
Logistically it is a nightmare.
Say you've got a 12 year old kid playing junior league, a kid in 3rds and you want to have a kick in the 2s yourself.
By chance you might score the same ground as the thirds kid, depending on who they're aligned with. But then your junior league kid has to go to mansfield on Sunday.
That's all Saturday and all Sunday due to travel etc.
Just reckon it'd make far more sense to get juniors aligned with O+K - make it an all day family affair, fathers, sons, daughters, mother's can all play on the same day.

I agree with you, but theyll never get rid of it, but the priorities have to be O&M and O&K clubs. Maybe down scale the Juniors to just U12's and U14's or U15's get rid of the Benalla, Mansfields and Myrtlefords. The Hub has to start making some difficult decisions and not try and keep everyone happy.

I heard the other day a player that had played senior O&M football went back and played for Myrtleford against one of the wang Junior teams, how is that good for anyone involved

Things haven't changed much ? 29 years ago , advised the juniors in Wang allocated to teams to keep the comp fairly even. So some team ends up 0 - 14 ? And some coach wins a trophy?

If the junior league were to merg with the o&k are parents expected to travel out to training at the clubs A lot of the kids are playing because training and most game are played in town which is convenient for most parents

If the junior league were to merg with the o&k are parents expected to travel out to training at the clubs A lot of the kids are playing because training and most game are played in town which is convenient for most parents
I'm sure if there was no junior league, clubs could organise at least one training session a week for their juniors at an oval in town.
As mentioned earlier, it's probably most convenient if there are multiple children/mum or dad also already at the club.

An interesting article by Paul Diamond from the Bonnie Doon football in their local paper today having a go at Tarra on the way they handled Saturday!

Not sure where you got your info Paul but Tarrawingee never promised you seven players on Saturday. We only found out Saturday that Bonnie Doon were short of players so not much our footy club can do there. As a club we didn’t have to play 16 a side against you. No where in the rules does it say that happens in senior footy in the ovens and king.
You failed to mention that we had to supply a boundary umpire for you on the day as you couldn’t get anyone.

You also questioned the character of some of our players. It wasn’t so long ago that your club was flying and was pretty good on the lip to every opposition. How things change when the shoe is on the other foot.
As a club we were disappointed that none of your 14 players on the day came in for a beer after the game!

This isnt a dig at the Bonnie Doon football netball club this is a dig at your article Paul! Terrible

An interesting article by Paul Diamond from the Bonnie Doon football in their local paper today having a go at Tarra on the way they handled Saturday!

Not sure where you got your info Paul but Tarrawingee never promised you seven players on Saturday. We only found out Saturday that Bonnie Doon were short of players so not much our footy club can do there. As a club we didn’t have to play 16 a side against you. No where in the rules does it say that happens in senior footy in the ovens and king.
You failed to mention that we had to supply a boundary umpire for you on the day as you couldn’t get anyone.

You also questioned the character of some of our players. It wasn’t so long ago that your club was flying and was pretty good on the lip to every opposition. How things change when the shoe is on the other foot.
As a club we were disappointed that none of your 14 players on the day came in for a beer after the game!

This isnt a dig at the Bonnie Doon football netball club this is a dig at your article Paul! Terrible

You can’t expect to be leant players at senior level. Underage and maybe reserves I can understand. But if you can’t supply 18 players on a Saturday your future is bleak.

Maybe they shouldn’t have broken the bank in 2015-2016.

Whats there local paper called GIF ?? Be an interesting read

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do you think 2 less teams in the Wang area would help

It really is a case of where to from here for the league. Numbers are on the decline and in the current country footy landscape it's become very hard to climb back up once you're in the doldrums. A club can be financial and have plenty of points to spare but if no one wants to go there then they're stuffed. All clubs vie for players out of the same pool and that pool is getting empty. Mergers or rationalization of club numbers may have to be the answer, not that anyone wants to see clubs go by the wayside. Most clubs have very good netball numbers, where do they go if clubs are merged or disbanded?. Lots to be discussed and thought about.

You can’t expect to be leant players at senior level. Underage and maybe reserves I can understand. But if you can’t supply 18 players on a Saturday your future is bleak.

Maybe they shouldn’t have broken the bank in 2015-2016.

Don't think Doon broke the bank, some players were probably paid more than what they were worth, but currently the club is in a decent financial position. When it comes to fielding a competitive team the problem is in enticing players to travel when, with the enforcement of the salary cap, you can't pay players that little bit extra to get them out of Melbourne. As everyone here knows, there isn't enough local talent to go round.

In perspective, this is the first season that Doon have not been even a little bit competitive, and really (really) struggled. So many clubs in O&K have also gone through this process and come back up. Although now, with the introduction of player points and the salary cap, even before we begin the discussion of juniors and the general drop off of people playing, it will be bloody hard for Doon to get back up. In saying that, it is important to note that the club do have a plan in place for next season.

In regard to the Tarra article, I can see both sides. The Tarra boys showed complete disdain for the 13 or 14 Doon players who did show up, but also, if you only show up with 14 blokes, what level of respect to you expect from the opposition? Paul puts a lot of work and effort into the club wears his heart on his sleeve, and when you get told that the club you bleed for is pathetic, you're s**t, why would you bother etc, it can be quite devastating, and in my opinion, it's not really in the spirit of the game.

And yes, the boys should still have stayed for a drink after the game.

That article is disgraceful in tone and largely unintelligible. Says a lot about the state of country newspapers that s**t like that can be published. Poor form.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Shocking article. The players are surely a little embarrassed that their president has written that for the paper.
Tarra were under no obligation to play with 16 men on the ground in a game of senior footy and to be honest I think they were generous in doing so, the author of the article should have perhaps directed his disappointment towards the players who made themselves ‘unavailable’ for the trip to Tarra leaving just 14 players to take the field.

That article is disgraceful in tone and largely unintelligible. Says a lot about the state of country newspapers that s**t like that can be published. Poor form.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There could be an opening for a bright young man there at the Courier Nonch.......just sayin'

tips for this weekend

I think our game will be pretty interesting, both sides are about as strong as they're going to get and there has only been a couple of goals in it the last few times. The weather may play a big role in the outcome this time.... dunno who'll win but once again only a few points to separate the two sides.

I think our game will be pretty interesting, both sides are about as strong as they're going to get and there has only been a couple of goals in it the last few times. The weather may play a big role in the outcome this time.... dunno who'll win but once again only a few points to separate the two sides.
alot riding on it, who ever wins gets a top 2 finish and a week off and the loser will run into the kelly boys early in the finals

I don't think you need to disband anything. There is a quote about a baby and some bath water. Maybe stand back and have a look. There is no reason Nth Wang (on a pristine surface - although the aths track gives a good indication of how a surface ends up with the wrong set up to start with ) not to run u12 , u14 , and O&K thirds u17. 18 year olds can drive , vote , and play senior footy. Similar Tarra , King Valley etc. Junior teams train in town at the Barr etc. Even train as 1 group. i.e u12 , u14 all together. And kids from tarra area go to Tarra , Valley kids go to Valley etc. Another opion is to add in Masters footy as the 2's at certain clubs. Not to mention the XX factor. There will be more girls coming through over the next 5 to 10 years. Maybe look at 12 a side teams etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back