Ovens & King football 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You're clearly not paying attention then!
Two new recruits to become the Grundy/Treloar clearance combo in Big Fursdon Roving the taps from the Seven Foot Sri Lankan. Also have heard they're close to signing an ex-Ovens and Murray and Rennie stalwart, measures in 5'10 and stiff arms like a truck. Easy Ginger
Can you continue your love for Fursdon on your own tread away from here!
Greta supporters are like Essendon supporters that love to listen to themselves to much!

When you take in all the feed back off here you would have to go

Milawa
Tarra
KV
Bright
Greta
Blacks

For the T6
It is going to be an very interesting first few rounds to actually see where teams are at.

Any Practice matches this weekend for any teams

Goorambat played Violet Town on the weekend and think they may surprise a few this season with an injection of youth around Gladstone, Both sides had players missing and a combination of senior and reserves playing but Goorambat ran out the game quite well after being nearly 5 goals down at 3/4 time to get within a kick at the end

Goorambat played Violet Town on the weekend and think they may surprise a few this season with an injection of youth around Gladstone, Both sides had players missing and a combination of senior and reserves playing but Goorambat ran out the game quite well after being nearly 5 goals down at 3/4 time to get within a kick at the end
Good to hear.
I saw a pretty special mark taken by a Violet Town player in that game, did you see it?

Re the Bats, Burns and Beavis played Rennie two's, Ryan was stiff to miss rennie GF side, and McCabe played Yarra thirds, most need a good feed and to muscle up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I usually steer clear of predictions. But for shits and giggles sake I will give my opinion on ladder position for the year and why. Going off the goings and comings at clubs and the lovely information on here. But remember the finals are a different beast and this isn’t a prediction on who will will this year!

1. Milawa.
Losing McClounan, Dunstan, Wyatt does hurt them. The gains of Hughes, Petts, Potter, Bihun x2 somewhat out weigh those losses. And the Prospect of Allan playing more games. Should finish on top. Quality side with experience everywhere.

2. King Valley.
Only loss is Dean which will hurt. Inclusions of Myors, Witham, Collihole, a few young kids with help. The Valley Boom buzz is at a all time high at the moment which helps at any club. Expect Williams to play on and be able to take a lesser role but very important one in the side.

3. Tarrawingee
Edwards and Porter are big losses. Mulrooney and Voigt help midfield depth again. Don’t see them dropping off much at all.

4. Glenrowan
As always hard to get a read on them at this time of the year. Any side that has Norman, Hanstead, Robinson’s, Fox, Bihun in it will will their fair share of games.

5. Bright
Not too sure on their playing list.
Cossignani could take the Comp by storm but it remains to be seen with a few years out of footy and how much he will play with his impact. Buckley could be the same. Will win enough to just scape in.

6. Greta.
Have been building since Newbold took over and could still pip Bright for that last spot. Fursdon has some loud admiration on here. Time will tell how he goes from O&M seconds to O&K seniors.

7. Benalla
The slider.
Unfortunately for Benalla there is a lot of outs so far. Moran, Trende, Guppy, Pretty, Jones, MacGregor, McMaster. Don’t know of any ins with Harry not back till mid year. I hope I’m wrong.

8.Moyhu
No real losses at this stage that I know of. Smith and Burdon could be pretty big inns for the hoppers.

9. Whorouly
Could climb over Moyhu or even Benalla. Could be a fair few in for the Lions with the young guys from Rovers and I am hearing a few from Rutherglen way as well. So could be a very different side to last year. Kneebone co coaching will lift them as well.

10. Goorambat.
Don’t know a lot about them. Coming from a fair way back. Have picked up some youth from over at Yarra. Could surprise a few. McKeon a big loss.

11. Bonnie Doon.
Have heaps of players coming in which is what they needed. Few past players back as well. Starting from scratch really but should improve on last year.

12. North Wang.
Again lots of players in. Kay and Oates the keys. As with the Bombers will improve a lot from last year and hopefully surprise a few clubs if they take them too lightly.

Surely no one read all that!

I usually steer clear of predictions. But for shits and giggles sake I will give my opinion on ladder position for the year and why. Going off the goings and comings at clubs and the lovely information on here. But remember the finals are a different beast and this isn’t a prediction on who will will this year!

1. Milawa.
Losing McClounan, Dunstan, Wyatt does hurt them. The gains of Hughes, Petts, Potter, Bihun x2 somewhat out weigh those losses. And the Prospect of Allan playing more games. Should finish on top. Quality side with experience everywhere.

2. King Valley.
Only loss is Dean which will hurt. Inclusions of Myors, Witham, Collihole, a few young kids with help. The Valley Boom buzz is at a all time high at the moment which helps at any club. Expect Williams to play on and be able to take a lesser role but very important one in the side.

3. Tarrawingee
Edwards and Porter are big losses. Mulrooney and Voigt help midfield depth again. Don’t see them dropping off much at all.

4. Glenrowan
As always hard to get a read on them at this time of the year. Any side that has Norman, Hanstead, Robinson’s, Fox, Bihun in it will will their fair share of games.

5. Bright
Not too sure on their playing list.
Cossignani could take the Comp by storm but it remains to be seen with a few years out of footy and how much he will play with his impact. Buckley could be the same. Will win enough to just scape in.

6. Greta.
Have been building since Newbold took over and could still pip Bright for that last spot. Fursdon has some loud admiration on here. Time will tell how he goes from O&M seconds to O&K seniors.

7. Benalla
The slider.
Unfortunately for Benalla there is a lot of outs so far. Moran, Trende, Guppy, Pretty, Jones, MacGregor, McMaster. Don’t know of any ins with Harry not back till mid year. I hope I’m wrong.

8.Moyhu
No real losses at this stage that I know of. Smith and Burdon could be pretty big inns for the hoppers.

9. Whorouly
Could climb over Moyhu or even Benalla. Could be a fair few in for the Lions with the young guys from Rovers and I am hearing a few from Rutherglen way as well. So could be a very different side to last year. Kneebone co coaching will lift them as well.

10. Goorambat.
Don’t know a lot about them. Coming from a fair way back. Have picked up some youth from over at Yarra. Could surprise a few. McKeon a big loss.

11. Bonnie Doon.
Have heaps of players coming in which is what they needed. Few past players back as well. Starting from scratch really but should improve on last year.

12. North Wang.
Again lots of players in. Kay and Oates the keys. As with the Bombers will improve a lot from last year and hopefully surprise a few clubs if they take them too lightly.

Surely no one read all that!

I read it all.
I like your predictions GIF.

whispers saying Charleston to KV looking like a done deal.[/QUOTE]

Whisper is that the KV coach had to go to O & K hierarchy and admit they will be over the salary cap & Points, and that players will have to miss game to make them squeeze under both

whispers saying Charleston to KV looking like a done deal.

Whisper is that the KV coach had to go to O & K hierarchy and admit they will be over the salary cap & Points, and that players will have to miss game to make them squeeze under both[/QUOTE]

IMO the Salary cap should be calculated assuming paid players will play every game and thus the total should be under 70k.

This would stop clubs taking the piss and paying a player 1200 a game to play 6 games + finals for free.
As we have seen with a couple of clubs in the past, they are able to do this for a handful of guys and keep ’under the cap’ throughout the regular season then do what they like come finals time.

If equalisation and an even comp accross the board is what the AFL NEB want then the Salary cap has to be a strong line that is policed and allows everyone to spend the same while also - in combo with the points system makes it challenging for the top clubs to remain at the top purely through recruiting and $ spend.

Iv said it before and I’ll say it again you can give all clubs outside the top 6 extra points and it means nothing without tightening things at the top.

My proposal would be:
12 teams x 40 points = 480 total points for the league.

1 32
2 32
3 34
4 34
5 38
6 40
7 42
8 42
9 44
10 46
11 48
12 48

These allocations would be a guide only and the league along with the board would need to manage the allocation across the teams year to year based on performance over the previous 2-3 seasons.

It means teams at the bottom have the opportunity to add a handful of top line players therefore improve quickly, the teams at the top can hold onto their current players without adding 3-4 3 pointers and widening the gap on the rest.
In years where it’s been a much more even comp (hopefully this year) the points can be allocated more evenly.
If a team loses a large amount of players over the off season are expected to drop down the ladder and can show that via clearances etc then they can apply to the league for a higher than expected points allocation.

Anyway just my opinion. And it has nothing to do with my club finishing 7th the last 2 years 😑 I just want to see a healthy competitive comp. it’s even more crucial in the years to come as the under 19s comp is finished up

Whisper is that the KV coach had to go to O & K hierarchy and admit they will be over the salary cap & Points, and that players will have to miss game to make them squeeze under both

IMO the Salary cap should be calculated assuming paid players will play every game and thus the total should be under 70k.

This would stop clubs taking the piss and paying a player 1200 a game to play 6 games + finals for free.
As we have seen with a couple of clubs in the past, they are able to do this for a handful of guys and keep ’under the cap’ throughout the regular season then do what they like come finals time.

If equalisation and an even comp accross the board is what the AFL NEB want then the Salary cap has to be a strong line that is policed and allows everyone to spend the same while also - in combo with the points system makes it challenging for the top clubs to remain at the top purely through recruiting and $ spend.

Iv said it before and I’ll say it again you can give all clubs outside the top 6 extra points and it means nothing without tightening things at the top.

My proposal would be:
12 teams x 40 points = 480 total points for the league.

1 32
2 32
3 34
4 34
5 38
6 40
7 42
8 42
9 44
10 46
11 48
12 48

These allocations would be a guide only and the league along with the board would need to manage the allocation across the teams year to year based on performance over the previous 2-3 seasons.

It means teams at the bottom have the opportunity to add a handful of top line players therefore improve quickly, the teams at the top can hold onto their current players without adding 3-4 3 pointers and widening the gap on the rest.
In years where it’s been a much more even comp (hopefully this year) the points can be allocated more evenly.
If a team loses a large amount of players over the off season are expected to drop down the ladder and can show that via clearances etc then they can apply to the league for a higher than expected points allocation.

Anyway just my opinion. And it has nothing to do with my club finishing 7th the last 2 years 😑 I just want to see a healthy competitive comp. it’s even more crucial in the years to come as the under 19s comp is finished up[/QUOTE]
I really like that model.
Points cap has to be fluid to actually equalise, while the salary cap (state and league wide) should be held to a higher account as you've said.
A lot more work and may not be feasible in the O&K, but if attempted at O&M level then it could and should be implemented down the grades.

Charleston a done deal by the way, KV's offseason gets better and better.

In the South West Football League in WA, the points are allocated something along these lines:
Top three teams from previous season - 35 points
4th to 7th from previous season - 38 points
Bottom three sides from previous season - 40 points

Granted, the points allocations are different but I think a sliding scale (e.g. top 4 = 34, middle 4 = 38 and bottom 4 = 42 or you could have the top 6 = 34 points, 7th to 9th = 38 points and 10th to 12th = 41 points) basis would be a good move to assist with equalisation.

Last edited:
NBM. So if your side didn’t finish 7th the last 2 years and you happened to pick up 6 guns who’ll cost you a buck are we still having this conversation?

NBM. So if your side didn’t finish 7th the last 2 years and you happened to pick up 6 guns who’ll cost you a buck are we still having this conversation?
I would like a bit more insight into Charleston's move from your perspective please Rumourmill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back