Ovens & King football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get it forward

All Australian
Nov 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t mind some of the thoughts regarding points system. I still don’t like the idea of punishing a club for being successful though!

navyblueman

All Australian
Dec 9, 2009
North east
AFL Club
GWS
I don’t mind some of the thoughts regarding points system. I still don’t like the idea of punishing a club for being successful though!

It’s not punishing them for being successful it’s not forcing them to lose players it’s just restricting them from adding 3-4 more each year.
It actually then puts the onus back on the players coming out of other leagues to explore their options a bit more thoroughly, perhaps pick the club they think is the best fit for them long term rather than just head to the best team that contacts them and can fit them in. And pay them the most.

I respect the way the Milawa and Tara’s have been able to stay at the top for the last decade by retaining players year to year, that’s helped by the on field success no doubt. What I don’t like is them being able to go and grab the ring in types who, let’s be honest are just there for a quick cash grab and the chance to win a flag from minimum commitment.

But on the flip side, as a supporter of the league I do look forward to seeing them play in our comp. so I guess you can’t have it both ways!

On a separate positive note, the hawks ground looks bloody fantastic at the moment, can’t wait to see some games played out there. Hopefully some finals get scheduled out there too.

Get it forward

All Australian
Nov 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s not punishing them for being successful it’s not forcing them to lose players it’s just restricting them from adding 3-4 more each year.
It actually then puts the onus back on the players coming out of other leagues to explore their options a bit more thoroughly, perhaps pick the club they think is the best fit for them long term rather than just head to the best team that contacts them and can fit them in. And pay them the most.

I respect the way the Milawa and Tara’s have been able to stay at the top for the last decade by retaining players year to year, that’s helped by the on field success no doubt. What I don’t like is them being able to go and grab the ring in types who, let’s be honest are just there for a quick cash grab and the chance to win a flag from minimum commitment.

But on the flip side, as a supporter of the league I do look forward to seeing them play in our comp. so I guess you can’t have it both ways!

On a separate positive note, the hawks ground looks bloody fantastic at the moment, can’t wait to see some games played out there. Hopefully some finals get scheduled out there too.

Yeah I’m not buying that. You can’t restrict clubs trying to get better.
Because a club is successful your telling them they will just have to wait till player points go down for a year and then recruit.
Recruiting is a 12 month a year process.
You might have been working on a player for a few years and they finally say they will come. And then you have to say sorry we won this year and our points go down. What about in a years time? Sorry doesn’t work that way.

blacksnake

Draftee
Oct 13, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Whisper is that the KV coach had to go to O & K hierarchy and admit they will be over the salary cap & Points, and that players will have to miss game to make them squeeze under both[/QUOTE]

QUOTE]

Yeah I’m not buying that. You can’t restrict clubs trying to get better.
Because a club is successful your telling them they will just have to wait till player points go down for a year and then recruit.
Recruiting is a 12 month a year process.
You might have been working on a player for a few years and they finally say they will come. And then you have to say sorry we won this year and our points go down. What about in a years time? Sorry doesn’t work that way.

GIF I am not buying any of NBM recent posts either to make a 16 player point gap from top to bottom would destroy the comp. I am all for maybe dropping a couple point of the top 2 side but not 10 It would mean good well run clubs would have to basic stop recruiting till they drop of the top six not sure how that will improve the standard . Not sure why a side that finished 7 by% deserves extra point over a side that finished in 6 by%, and a lot of other positions are usual by % you would see some club that are not in finals trying to lose some games near the end of the year to gain extra point next year
To try and restrict higher clubs to only bring in 2-3 senior player each year nothing would ever improve just go backwards .
KV has had 3 of there top 5 players retire, they have not been any better then 5 in the last 4-5 years so they would need 3 recruits just to maintain position. NBM I think you find most of the player KV has recruited are going there because its the club that best suit them and not just for the money as I am pretty sure some of them where offered a lot better money else were ,and that's not to say KV are not pay them well. Maybe the like ability of the couch also has a lot to do with recruiting,
as GIF said a lot of time it takes a number of years work to recruit player, some time nothing comes other years it comes off in spades . do we adjust the point based on club locations as I am sure outer club find it harder to recruit you can add and subtract points on a number of different reason but where it stop.
I think from 2017 to 2018 the points from 1st to 7th where closer and I think it will be closer again this year ,so I think you will find it will be at the club determent if they have to leave players out to fit in the cap. As for club paying a player $1200 a game I don't believe it a club that is sitting at the top would have a number player on good money so I just don't see they could pay any single player that and fit under the cap even if they are not playing all the games.
At the end of the day some of the club at the low end need to change there club culture and professionalism if they are to more forward as they have not been able to attract player at any price or retain them
Maybe NBM instead of spending so much time on here & the TDFL site coming up with a better point and cap system your time would be better spent helping your club recruit

navyblueman

All Australian
Dec 9, 2009
North east
AFL Club
GWS
My example of a points break up was just to show that it could and maybe should be done differently to the way it is currently. The points per position could be different to what I listed and your probably right a 16 point gap from top team to bottom might be too many.

Avoiding tanking would be easy enough, just make sure that 5-8th get similar points and the bottoms 3 similar points. If a team at our level is at or near the bottoms 3 they arent really going to need to tank anyway.

No doubt that KV coach is well liked and that certainly helps them recruit, they clearly think they are within striking distance of a flag and hence why they are prepared to spend the full cap.

As for no club paying any player 1200 a game or anywhere near it....some have in the past and are currently.

Also agree that clubs near or at the bottom need to change their professionalism and culture to change their fortunes. I guess they are just finding it hard to change with the same people in key positions.

SpeckyMagee69

Tarranosaurasrex
Feb 4, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone know how the mountain men went tonight? Heard they had a practice match against Yackandandah.

navyblueman

All Australian
Dec 9, 2009
North east
AFL Club
GWS
Who else had a practice match on the weekend? Results?
A Greta team that was a mix of seniors and seconds beat Beechworth pretty comfortablely on Friday night. Beechworth coach said they had a reasonabley strong team in.

Playing Yack this week but I’m hearing we will have quite a few missing and they are expected to have a stronger team than the one that played Bright Friday.

Get it forward

All Australian
Nov 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Did anyone watch the Tarra V Kiewa game last week?

The old line of there were no scores kept. I would have thought Kiewa would have won.
Kiewa have some very handy players.
Tarra had a few key players out in Aumann, Hoggan, Thayer, Salmon, Cook to name a few.
Would say Keiwa had a few out also.
It was bloody hot!
Was very attacking footy as most first games are.

navyblueman

All Australian
Dec 9, 2009
North east
AFL Club
GWS
The old line of there were no scores kept. I would have thought Kiewa would have won.
Kiewa have some very handy players.
Tarra had a few key players out in Aumann, Hoggan, Thayer, Salmon, Cook to name a few.
Would say Keiwa had a few out also.
It was bloody hot!
Was very attacking footy as most first games are.
Kiewa are a very good side, Tarra with those names out wouldn’t have been a match for them I’d imagine.

Just saw on the clearances that a clearance for Joel Bihun back to O&M has gone in and then cancelled. I had heard there was some trouble brewing out in the tiger den. Any whispers from out there?

Batcave

Rookie
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
A Greta team that was a mix of seniors and seconds beat Beechworth pretty comfortablely on Friday night. Beechworth coach said they had a reasonabley strong team in.

Playing Yack this week but I’m hearing we will have quite a few missing and they are expected to have a stronger team than the one that played Bright Friday.
You sure you won NBM I read on Beechworths fb page it said they won by 5 goals.......

Bright apparently had about 7-8 first choice players out. Yack had 40 players so couldn’t imagine them missing to many!

navyblueman

All Australian
Dec 9, 2009
North east
AFL Club
GWS
You sure you won NBM I read on Beechworths fb page it said they won by 5 goals.......

Bright apparently had about 7-8 first choice players out. Yack had 40 players so couldn’t imagine them missing to many!

I’m not positive of the exact scores but our ff kicked 10 and a handful of others kicked singles. So 15+ Goals kicked by us, they had more scoring shots but kicked plenty of points, a couple of their forwards kicked 2 or 3 and a couple of singles. I’d guess it was probably 5 goals our way in the end.

navyblueman

All Australian
Dec 9, 2009
North east
AFL Club
GWS
Who's ya FF NBM? wouldn't have had anyone kick that many since ya had belly playing

On CPH1851 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cassidy, I think he kicked a bag or two in the first year he was with us apart from that only the coaches son who kicked 11 against Bonnie Doon last year.
It’s only a practice match though so doesn’t mean much other than it’s nice to see him bounce back from a year of injuries last year

Big Rig Pig

Draftee
Nov 12, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I usually steer clear of predictions. But for shits and giggles sake I will give my opinion on ladder position for the year and why. Going off the goings and comings at clubs and the lovely information on here. But remember the finals are a different beast and this isn’t a prediction on who will will this year!

1. Milawa.
Losing McClounan, Dunstan, Wyatt does hurt them. The gains of Hughes, Petts, Potter, Bihun x2 somewhat out weigh those losses. And the Prospect of Allan playing more games. Should finish on top. Quality side with experience everywhere.

2. King Valley.
Only loss is Dean which will hurt. Inclusions of Myors, Witham, Collihole, a few young kids with help. The Valley Boom buzz is at a all time high at the moment which helps at any club. Expect Williams to play on and be able to take a lesser role but very important one in the side.

3. Tarrawingee
Edwards and Porter are big losses. Mulrooney and Voigt help midfield depth again. Don’t see them dropping off much at all.

4. Glenrowan
As always hard to get a read on them at this time of the year. Any side that has Norman, Hanstead, Robinson’s, Fox, Bihun in it will will their fair share of games.

5. Bright
Not too sure on their playing list.
Cossignani could take the Comp by storm but it remains to be seen with a few years out of footy and how much he will play with his impact. Buckley could be the same. Will win enough to just scape in.

6. Greta.
Have been building since Newbold took over and could still pip Bright for that last spot. Fursdon has some loud admiration on here. Time will tell how he goes from O&M seconds to O&K seniors.

7. Benalla
The slider.
Unfortunately for Benalla there is a lot of outs so far. Moran, Trende, Guppy, Pretty, Jones, MacGregor, McMaster. Don’t know of any ins with Harry not back till mid year. I hope I’m wrong.

8.Moyhu
No real losses at this stage that I know of. Smith and Burdon could be pretty big inns for the hoppers.

9. Whorouly
Could climb over Moyhu or even Benalla. Could be a fair few in for the Lions with the young guys from Rovers and I am hearing a few from Rutherglen way as well. So could be a very different side to last year. Kneebone co coaching will lift them as well.

10. Goorambat.
Don’t know a lot about them. Coming from a fair way back. Have picked up some youth from over at Yarra. Could surprise a few. McKeon a big loss.

11. Bonnie Doon.
Have heaps of players coming in which is what they needed. Few past players back as well. Starting from scratch really but should improve on last year.

12. North Wang.
Again lots of players in. Kay and Oates the keys. As with the Bombers will improve a lot from last year and hopefully surprise a few clubs if they take them too lightly.

Surely no one read all that!
Doubling down on Cosignani, no joke hes my tip for the league BnF

anygivensatdy

Senior List
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I see Clearances in for Robbie Allan and Ed Dunstan to Milawa. Starting to get a fair bit of depth to go with top end talent. Which is what they lacked last year with having a great top end but falling away.
Surprising how quiet it has been at Tarra for recruits. They usually top up with a couple but only really have a couple of returning players to show so far. they were clearly the best side last year so dont need much but would have thought one or two.
Think the talk about Bright is a bit off the mark. Dont think they will improve a heap on last year. I would be surprised if Cossignani and also Buckley play that much. so think they have only really gained what they have lost.
King Valley will be the big improver. I think Glenrowan and Benalla to come back to the pack a bit so there is a chance for a few sides to sneak into finals. Will be a good year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back