Ovens & Murray Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll kick it off. Nice to see that Albury hasn't changed much about it's recent recruiting policy. Find the best players from other clubs and offer them plenty to move to tigerland. Shir crossing over adds to a list of players who have ended up at Albury after starting at another O&M club. I'll mention some high profile names from recent years. I'm sure there will be more.
Dan Mcallister - raiders
Andy Carey - myrtleford
Joel Mackie - north
Luke carroll - Lavi
Mark bush - north
Now I know some of these blokes left their original club before ending up in yellow and black. Carey and Mackie for example.
I also acknowledge that lots of clubs probably have a few blokes who have played at another O&M club. My point is that Albury tend to do this often and usually try to get the best players from other clubs, not because they need them, just because they can.

Probably worth mentioning some failed attempts in recent seasons too.
Dan Leslie - north
Luke Garland - Lavi

I'll kick it off. Nice to see that Albury hasn't changed much about it's recent recruiting policy. Find the best players from other clubs and offer them plenty to move to tigerland. Shir crossing over adds to a list of players who have ended up at Albury after starting at another O&M club. I'll mention some high profile names from recent years. I'm sure there will be more.
Dan Mcallister - raiders
Andy Carey - myrtleford
Joel Mackie - north
Luke carroll - Lavi
Mark bush - north
Now I know some of these blokes left their original club before ending up in yellow and black. Carey and Mackie for example.
I also acknowledge that lots of clubs probably have a few blokes who have played at another O&M club. My point is that Albury tend to do this often and usually try to get the best players from other clubs, not because they need them, just because they can.

Dan Leslie - north
Luke Garland - Lavi

Other players, most who became premiership players from last 6 flags also include -
Michael Thompson - Raiders
Shaun Daly - Corowa
Mark Durea - Corowa
Paul Hallandale - Lavington
Travis Maclean - Lavington
Ricky Allen - Benalla
Andrew Harrison - Benalla
Anthony Foubister - Wang Rovers
Nick Carroll - Lavington
Justin Carey - Myrtleford

Other players, most who became premiership players from last 6 flags also include -
Michael Thompson - Raiders
Shaun Daly - Corowa
Mark Durea - Corowa
Paul Hallandale - Lavington
Travis Maclean - Lavington
Ricky Allen - Benalla
Andrew Harrison - Benalla
Anthony Foubister - Wang Rovers
Nick Carroll - Lavington
Justin Carey - Myrtleford
Safe to say their recruiting policy is effective

A question for the Wodonga people: could Ben Hollands' coaching style have anything to do with the departures? It started half way through last season with Lyons leaving and seems to be gaining momentum.

Safe to say their recruiting policy is effective

I guess it all comes back to the old saying money talks!
Also everyone wants success. And some don't really want to wait or put in the hard yards for it.

I think we just have to accept that football has changed from the highest level down to the grassroots! If you make your club a great place to be around it makes it harder for players to move on!

Dan Mcallister - raiders
Andy Carey - myrtleford
Joel Mackie - north
Luke carroll - Lavi
Mark bush - north

Dan Leslie - north
Luke Garland - Lavi

I think you'll find the majority of those players approached Tigerland and are on less $ then they were at their previous clubs, Shir included. Not even your club would turn anyone especially of that calibre down. So before you know the facts stop firing unwarranted shots. Jealousy can be a cruel thing but its just best to hold it in sometimes. I'm assuming you're heavily involved with Lavi too as your location is LPO? Lavi being one of the 6 clubs that paid lots of money for a couple of big name duds from a state league. Look where they finished, lower then they did the previous year. They could definitely learn a thing or two from Albury and Yarrawonga and how they run their clubs. Albury vs Yarra granny '13. Best rivalry of all time.

I think you'll find the majority of those players approached Tigerland and are on less $ then they were at their previous clubs, Shir included. Not even your club would turn anyone especially of that calibre down. So before you know the facts stop firing unwarranted shots. Jealousy can be a cruel thing but its just best to hold it in sometimes. I'm assuming you're heavily involved with Lavi too as your location is LPO? Lavi being one of the 6 clubs that paid lots of money for a couple of big name duds from a state league. Look where they finished, lower then they did the previous year. They could definitely learn a thing or two from Albury and Yarrawonga and how they run their clubs. Albury vs Yarra granny '13. Best rivalry of all time.
Haa, you're hilarious......did you type that with a straight face? Joss approached Bush with a job offer on the proviso he signed with Albury, Carey was almost over the line at North when Albury got wind of it, Joss sent his jet to pick him up and show him around - offered a job @$1000/week plus a phone & a car. I'm sure other clubs have similar stories.
Yeah, blokes are just queuing up to play there because its such a great place.

Simply laughable :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought most people on here knew who I was as I hadn't made an attempt to hide at any stage. Anyhow I'll do the introductions. I'm Brett Sanson... Most people call me Boxhead, but you can refer to as me head16. And you are?

Are you trying to tell us that most of the people that come to the Albury FC approach the club themself? In that case Albury have the best recruiting model in the country.
"Hi, I'm a very good player, you may remember me from the last 4 years when I played against your club. I'd like to play at your club now. I used to get paid $450 a game at my old club, but I don't want that much anymore, because you've got such a wonderful club... Where do I sign?"

Also on the unwarranted shots thing. Seems like you've gone ahead and given a few 'fact filled' shots yourself.... Pot... Kettle!!

I thought most people on here knew who I was as I hadn't made an attempt to hide at any stage. Anyhow I'll do the introductions. I'm Brett Sanson... Most people call me Boxhead, but you can refer to as me head16. And you are?

Are you trying to tell us that most of the people that come to the Albury FC approach the club themself? In that case Albury have the best recruiting model in the country.
"Hi, I'm a very good player, you may remember me from the last 4 years when I played against your club. I'd like to play at your club now. I used to get paid $450 a game at my old club, but I don't want that much anymore, because you've got such a wonderful club... Where do I sign?"

Also on the unwarranted shots thing. Seems like you've gone ahead and given a few 'fact filled' shots yourself.... Pot... Kettle!!

No, i'm saying that the majority of those ones that were named approached the club, not all of them. Obviously some credit has to go to the recruiting staff down there.
I also understand that Lavi cry poor every year and do 'oh so well' considering as your brother Tim would say. But if the books were opened between all the teams you might get a pleasant surprise as to where Albury are on the list.
Why it is such a crime to back up the team you support?

No, i'm saying that the majority of those ones that were named approached the club, not all of them. Obviously some credit has to go to the recruiting staff down there.
I also understand that Lavi cry poor every year and do 'oh so well' considering as your brother Tim would say. But if the books were opened between all the teams you might get a pleasant surprise as to where Albury are on the list.
Why it is such a crime to back up the team you support?

What's Timba got to do with it? Don't tell me he's still managing to stir you lot up with comments he's made years ago, let it go mate, he's a sh!t stirrer. Seeing that blokes like the 'Hitman' are upset just encourages him.

No I wouldn't get a surprise if the books were opened. It would look very much the same as the 2012 final ladder, as it does every year. You might as well give up on that idea too, it has never happened and never will.

My original point a few posts back was that Albury have consistently recruited players from other O&M clubs over the years, with shir being the lastest.

What's Timba got to do with it? Don't tell me he's still managing to stir you lot up with comments he's made years ago, let it go mate, he's a sh!t stirrer. Seeing that blokes like the 'Hitman' are upset just encourages him.

No I wouldn't get a surprise if the books were opened. It would look very much the same as the 2012 final ladder, as it does every year. You might as well give up on that idea too, it has never happened and never will.

My original point a few posts back was that Albury have consistently recruited players from other O&M clubs over the years, with shir being the lastest.

Not quite sure which comments you are referring to "years ago". Just word of mouth which was regarding Lavington..

Ok well lets move on then.. What are the comings and goings in the comp? Disappointing to see Raiders lose so many after a few good years playing finals. Thought they could have improved with a new coach.

Another big signing by yarra! Looks like the gamble on fevola has paid off!!!

Will it be a two horse race again or can rovers compete with them again?

If it is that much of an issue maybe a transfer fee needs to be introduced for players moving between clubs in same league. they did it in Canberra a few years back and worked well. stopped the rich robbing the poor without compensation. a player like shir. would be worth 10k to move from wodonga to albury. whereas lonnie Hampton might have been between 2-3k.

Season 2013 looks set to be about as exciting as shopping at Bunnings with very little competition which is dissapointing with a great new general manager who has the best intentions. But I dont have an answer to such a uneven comp where money is the key - and before anyone says it up to each club to generate revenue, thats not that easy without a viberant community or a benifactor which make things comfortable. Tough times ahead as we head to another season with more of the same.

Season 2013 looks set to be about as exciting as shopping at Bunnings with very little competition which is dissapointing with a great new general manager who has the best intentions. But I dont have an answer to such a uneven comp where money is the key - and before anyone says it up to each club to generate revenue, thats not that easy without a viberant community or a benifactor which make things comfortable. Tough times ahead as we head to another season with more of the same.

So its definitely a 2 horse race?

Shopping at bunnings allows me to be charitable. last week i donated 2.50 to cwa and to the cfa. got a snag both times in return

Is this a bad time to announce that it appears Albury fc have won the race to land SA country, all-Australian & 4 time premiership superstar ruckman Luke 'billy' wells for season 2013...? Currently playing with the big fella at Palmerston in the NTFL & he'll def have an impact at O&M level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back