Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread provides a space for nostalgia, reflections on the changing nature of the game, images of memorabilia, video footage and a discussion of current topics from a mature perspective. It is a space for all, whether they be Fitzroy supporters, former Bears or Brisbane Lions fans.

Last edited:
I have sold most of my memorabilia of the Lions collected over many years (to finance my photography) and the pics and pieces I have been posting elsewhere are some of the few I have left. But here is one collector's card I couldn't part with - of my favourite all-time Lion - without headgear
FullSizeRender.jpg

Gary Wilson really was the first "Modern Footballer" in terms of his dedication to fitness and gut running in games. He was an out and out champion. It used to drive me nuts when he would get belted by opponents and when he got a free kick opposition supporters would be screaming,"don't touch him, you can't touch him."

Here he is playing his usual great game. BTW we were robbed here.

Last edited:
IMG_5997.JPG
Still got this from childhood. My dad gave it to me in the late 60's / early 70's. It had a cane attached to assist with waving. Don't see these at the footy anymore.

We have Geelong this week, so here are a few clips of past encounters with Fitzroy.

And for those who have a couple of spare hours, here is the 1989 Reserves Grand Final. Some big hits here. Dean Lupson and Doc Wheildon both had notorious games. Some big names in the Fitzroy line up.

All this nostalgia has got me thinking. Which of our past players do some of our current players remind you of? Not talking about looks, but playing style and role.
Here's two that come immediately to mind for me:
1. Rohan Bewick - Leigh Carlson
Both quick running wingmen. Both left footers who love a goal.

2. Dayne Zorko - Doug Barwick
Compact, quick, attacking qualities galore.

Last edited:
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there as a 15 yo. When Micky kicked that goal some bloke behind me grabbed my flag and broke the stick because it was stuck between the wooden seats. I think dad bought me a cheeseburger and small fries at Maccas on the way home. Good times. Junior Associate Membership?
Soren Lorenson - You're so "in"

ooby Gadzorks Dylan12 Mr Ripper MSB ROYS Lace Out LongLion BRAB Fitzroy bears BuntonRules winged1 acuguy dlanod WhiteLionFeva MacMum Roylion Groo2 jason pm
Voss the boss Dlions

Hi all, feel free to post your nostalgia or join in here and feel the wisdom that age confers. The conversation in the Positives Thread is great, but it might be better to bring it here so we don't hijack that thread.
Big game this Saturday against Geelong and given that we are a clique, we have some questions to consider / thinking to do, so we have the appropriate 'group think' in place.
1. Will we win?
2. If we win, who do we thank?
3. If we lose, who do we blame?

Away we go.
#thecliquewithwisdom

Last edited:
45 this year unfortunately.
Junior Associate Membership Papers are in the post. If you are 45 now that means you were 14 or so when Micky Conlan kicked the winning goal against Essendon in the 1986 Elimination Final. If you can remember that then you are in. If you can't because your memory is fading, here it is again.

#thecliquewithwisdom

Does 40 qualify for junior associate? I went to every game in 86... I remember 86 elimination, 1st semi and prelim final when we kicked the first 3 goals. I thought this was it. I also remember it as it was my hero, Bernie Quinlans, last game of footy. Pretty sure one of our guys - reeves got knocked out and it was his wedding day - flown outby helicopter (could be wrong on that though! ).
You're in - Junior Associate Membership Papers are in the post, well they will be when Pearl finishes her cup of tea and takes the mail to the Post Office.

ooby Gadzorks Dylan12 Mr Ripper MSB ROYS Lace Out LongLion BRAB Fitzroy bears BuntonRules winged1 acuguy dlanod WhiteLionFeva MacMum Roylion Groo2 jason pm
Voss the boss Dlions

Hi all, feel free to post your nostalgia or join in here and feel the wisdom that age confers. The conversation in the Positives Thread is great, but it might be better to bring it here so we don't hijack that thread.
Big game this Saturday against Geelong and given that we are a clique, we have some questions to consider / thinking to do, so we have the appropriate 'group think' in place.
1. Will we win?
2. If we win, who do we thank?
3. If we lose, who do we blame?

Away we go.
#thecliquewithwisdom
1.We will win
2.We will thank the players
3.We will blame the umps

How deferential,a few in our family may be contesting that honour! I can remember my dad yelling, " a point will do us Baron, "when scores were level in the 52 semi against Carlton,we were on the fence,and I'm sure Alan Ruthven,our skipper and brownlow medallist heard ,and obligingly kicked the winning point.I did hear Len Smith address the team ,as Barassi says,the greatest coach and thinker, the most persuasive style of speaking,never ranted.I spotted for the Lions in the early 80s while living in Perth,where Kevin Murray and Ron Alexander were champions of my team there East Perth.I recall recommending Leon Baker,and we took Dean Turner,probably cost a premiership...or two.Mum followed the Pies and dad's side was Fitzroy, then Normie Johnston delivered our wood and ice, that decided matters,toughest,and one of the most skilful players I saw. The best was Superboot.Could do anything and play anywhere.Cheers....am I in,or what.
In? Len S, we might make you PRESIDENT!

1.We will win
2.We will thank the players
3.We will blame the umps
I like this. Simple, direct and 'old school.'
We are going to win, unless we lose and if we do, we was robbed. Are we all good with this?

Junior Associate Membership Papers are in the post. If you are 45 now that means you were 14 or so when Micky Conlan kicked the winning goal against Essendon in the 1986 Elimination Final. If you can remember that then you are in. If you can't because your memory is fading, here it is again.

#thecliquewithwisdom

I was there with my Dad. We had seats that were allegedly under cover but they weren't (at the very front of the second deck). We were saturated by games end. And before Mickey kicked that goal we were pretty miserable because although the scores were close it just felt like one of those games where we would succumb to a sucker punch in the wet. And to be fair a few things went right for us in that last quarter. I'm not sure who was more shocked at the siren - us or the bomber supporters. We kept our heads down leaving the ground I can tell you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back