Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear 3KZ is Football,
I hereby apply to join the Over 50s clique, with this, my 100th post in Big Footy, in the week Ryan Lester prepares for his 100th game. Go Ryan!

Like WhitLionFeva, I used to have one of these junior membership cards and managed to lose more than one of them in a season. They cost $2, I think. I started going to Fitzroy games when I was 4 and loved going to the Junction oval and standing up to watch the footy. In those days you only had to show your membership card and you could go into the rooms after the game. One of my earliest memories is of Alex Ruscuklic rising on people's backs and hauling in amazing marks. Like this one:
View attachment 401026View attachment 401027View attachment 401028

I was there at Victoria Park when Ruscuklic kicked all of our 4 goals against Collingwood, and plenty of points. Does anybody know when that was?
I was at that Siberian oval when we kicked the record score against Melbourne.
I was at the G when we were over 40 points down at half time in a final and Bernie Quinlan kicked 8 and we lost by a point. One of our greatest comebacks, and if we'd won, I think we would have won the flag that year.
I was there when we won our 2nd premiership of 3 in 2002... what a nerve-wracking, exhilarating game.
I will be there as we rise up the ladder and play finals again.

Being of sound mind and not so sound body (I won't bore you with the details), I submit this application to join the wise and wonderful Over 50s clique and pledge to barrack for the Lions for another 50 years, at least. I look forward to hearing from you.

...well, on that heartfelt application, I will second you to our Almighty 3KZ is Football:)

Thanks MacMum. Much appreciated. How do you do that tagging thingo?

Sporting a rich heritage as a Fitzroy supporter and having been at the 2002 Lions Grand Final, Comeback Lions is a "lay down misere" to be welcomed with open arms into the Over 50's Clique. But the ABSOLUTE CLINCHER are his IT skills, which are befitting anyone over the age of 50.

Comeback Lions ...this is for you:
You+re+awesome_491247_3940640.jpg

Thanks for the Alex Ruscuklic memories. He and David Wall were great forwards and two of my favourite players at the time. Ruscuklic had the movie star looks too.

P.S. Happy 100th Post!

Last edited:
Sporting a rich heritage as a Fitzroy supporter and having been at the 2002 Lions Grand Final, Comeback Lions is a "lay down misere" to be welcomed with open arms into the Over 50's Clique. But the ABSOLUTE CLINCHER are his IT skills, which are befitting anyone over the age of 50.

Thanks for the Alex Ruscuklic memories. He and David Wall were great forwards and two of my favourite players at the time. Ruscuklic had the movie star looks too.

P.S. Happy 100th Post!
Thanks 3KZ is Football. Glad to be on board. Let's get a win against the sunnies for Ryan Lester!

Remember when... tipping 100 winners in a year was an achievement.
22 x 6 = 132 games.
That equation didn't leave too much room for getting it wrong.

Don

P.S. Happy 100th Post!
Don't forget the very handsome Gary Lazarus.

Last edited:
Vale Harry Beitzel. A sad loss to the football community, particularly here in Melbourne. Former Fitzroy player and one of the great callers of our game.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...er-and-umpire-dies-at-90-20170813-gxvf21.html
Condolences 3KZ....he was a unique guy and much liked for an umpire....believe he may have had a few games in our 2nds but who could forget that confident strong voice conveying what the conveyance was doing (as rex hunt would put it)over the airwaves and probably one of the first to take on talkback radio for footy. He was also a pioneer into the yeah yeah business. Hope Warney is appreciative. Now reunited with his little companion and partner in crime Ron Brophy. Not sure how Lou got on with HB but they can have a few discussions upstairs.

R.I.P. HB and thanks for the education.

Playing North Melbourne this week gives me the opportunity to post this one.
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1983/061219830618.html
I was at this game and it was one of the most amazing games I have ever witnessed. In the second half, Fitzroy kicked 21 goals to North Melbourne's 2 goals. We took a 35 point half time lead to a 150 point victory! Importantly, people should remember that before this game North Melbourne were ON TOP OF THE LADDER. This was, without doubt the greatest Fitzroy team I have ever seen in action. I would also argue that it was probably the greatest team in the modern era to never win a Premiership. Enjoy.

Highlights - Fitzroy Goals.

Last quarter massacre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at this game and it was one of the most amazing games I have ever witnessed. In the second half, Fitzroy kicked 21 goals to North Melbourne's 2 goals. We took a 35 point half time lead to a 150 point victory! Importantly, people should remember that before this game North Melbourne were ON TOP OF THE LADDER. This was, without doubt the greatest Fitzroy team I have ever seen in action. I would also argue that it was probably the greatest team in the modern era to never win a Premiership. Enjoy.

Last quarter massacre.

Yep, was there too. The talent in that team was amazing. Flea and Bobby Skilton were the best players I saw play. And because the women in my family were Swans supporters and the men were Roys, I got to watch a fair bit of both.

Yep, was there too. The talent in that team was amazing. Flea and Bobby Skilton were the best players I saw play. And because the women in my family were Swans supporters and the men were Roys, I got to watch a fair bit of both.
Roos, Pert and Osborne were just kids, Scott Clayton was playing his 34th game, Matt Randell was playing his 53rd game, Leon Harris was playing his 79th game and Hinchen was a kid having probably the best year of his career. Throw in the experience of McMahon, Conlan, Serafini, Irwin, Quinlan and Wilson and this team had a great mix of youth and maturity. Then you had gun bit players like Ross Thornton, Leigh Carlson, Glenn Coleman and Les Parish. This was as great team.

Roos, Pert and Osborne were just kids, Scott Clayton was playing his 34th game, Matt Randell was playing his 53rd game, Leon Harris was playing his 79th game and Hinchen was a kid having probably the best year of his career. Throw in the experience of McMahon, Conlan, Serafini, Irwin, Quinlan and Wilson and this team had a great mix of youth and maturity. Then you had gun bit players like Ross Thornton, Leigh Carlson, Glenn Coleman and Les Parish. This was as great team.
David McMahon was very underrated. Those long, low torpedos from the wing or half forward were his trademark.

David McMahon was very underrated. Those long, low torpedos from the wing or half forward were his trademark.
He was really hard at it too. In the twighlight of his career he was still great value. Mum used to take me and my three brothers to buy our Addidas Rome from his sports store in Burgundy St. Heidelberg back in the day. I remember him as a pretty dour / quiet sort of bloke, but it was still exciting to be close to greatness. I can't recall ever even mentioning the football. We were awestruck.

Last quarter massacre.

Matty Rendell only kicked one other goal that entire season and that was in round 22!

Salty Parish....what a player.

http://m.lions.com.au/club/history/.../historical-society/historical-society-events

Anyone else going to the Fitzroy Historical Society function at the Veneto Club this Friday? I'm on a table with my cousin Groo2 and his dad, another uncle, a different cousin and a good mate of Groo2's. Honouring the 1978 Night Premiership and 1979 record margin against Melbourne. Should be a great night.
I was at both games..... blooming cold that night against the roos but we didn't care lol. Enjoy ur night n give Irwin n Allen a clip behind the ear for leaving.

Speaking of 1979 - here we are giving North Melbourne a 'touch up' at Arden Street. This was the windiest game I have ever been to. North Melbourne trailed by 29 points at 3/4 time, but they were coming home with a tornado behind them. I remember thinking nearly 5 goals was not enough, but Fitzroy unleashed an amazing quarter against the wind. Check out the way the wind took the ball late in the third quarter then Beecroft slotted a couple from close in.

Last edited:
Speaking of 1979 - here we are giving North Melbourne a 'touch up' at Arden Street. This was the windiest game I have ever been to. North Melbourne trailed by 29 points at 3/4 time, but they were coming home with a tornado behind them. I remember thinking nearly 5 goals was not enough, but Fitzroy unleashed can amazing quarter against the wind. Check out the way the wind took the ball late in the third quarter then Beecroft slotted a couple from close in.

Thanks....we could do with a big body type like Gerald McCarthy this yr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back