Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, all present and correct too, although a couple of the more obscure American ones were based on knowing what it wasn't, rather than what it was. :sunglasses:

Then you're a young whippersnapper and have no business trolling our little plot of paradise.:p :rolleyes:

We have no qualifying mods but one of us still has to keep an eye on the asylum.

Cannot believe it was so auto pilot, one maybe two a very simple process of elimination.

VNDAWyH.jpg

Still in my happy place.

I suspect that members of the Over 50’s Clique might be joining me here after we are demolished by Port Adelaide.

Watch for Doc’s GOAL OF THE CENTURY in Tassie!

Round 8 1993 and Fitzroy travel to Perth and smash the reigning Premiers. I wish the current Brisbane list had half as much heart as Fitzroy showed in these games.

Here we are the next year again defeating the reigning Premiers.

Last edited:
hello 3KZ.
is it too late to join the over 50's membership?? i have nothing to offer except creaking bones, decaying teeth, disrupted sleeps, general harumphing at the state of the world, kids spending too much time on electronics etc etc. Worse of all I've lost the taste for alcohol which i attribute to my advancing years. unbelievable. i haven't lost my love for all things maroon and blue though and i humbly apply for membership of your wonderful club. go fitzroy, go brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hello 3KZ.
is it too late to join the over 50's membership?? i have nothing to offer except creaking bones, decaying teeth, disrupted sleeps, general harumphing at the state of the world, kids spending too much time on electronics etc etc. Worse of all I've lost the taste for alcohol which i attribute to my advancing years. unbelievable. i haven't lost my love for all things maroon and blue though and i humbly apply for membership of your wonderful club. go fitzroy, go brisbane.
You are in. We have both spent some time in the Western Districts of Victoria if my ailing memory serves me correctly. I spent 15 years in Warrnambool via a year in Camperdown.

hello 3KZ.
I can fix the teeth but I am more interested in discussing the loss of Lee Murnane back to the family business. When he and Peter Francis (I went to Holy Rosary Heathcote with Peter) left we lost some of what would be now called our mid field depth.

They both had silky skills that could carve up oppositions but they did not stand out so much as during this period we played on that magnificent surface at the Junction and we had so many highly skilled players i.e. Wilson, Sera (the most skilled backman of his time), Mat Rendell , a 6 foot 6 ruckman that could kick either foot. 3KZ could go on about that disposal skills of the Roys.

But the loss of these two players cost us flags!!!!!!!!!!

Serafini missing the 1983 Qualifying Final was a massive blow. Win that one and we would have won the Flag. Players of that era know it too. Bernie Quinlan and others have described that year as the one that got away. Speaking of Bernie, as I am fond of doing, 5 goals in the last quarter of that game still ranks as one of the greatest individual performance in a Final EVER!

Did anyone get down the #12 lawn bowls fest with Mickey Conlan and Doc Wheildon last night? If so, how was it?

Unfortunately when the invite came out from the Historical Society I already had a prior speaking engagement on so thoroughly disappointed to not make it. I’ve got to know Mick at the Brighton Baths and for those that don’t know; he is incredibly in as good a nick as he was in his playing days.

As for Doc; not much more you can say other than being a champion bloke that would literally have a beer with anyone he is that good.

Another old fart who got 35/35.I think I qualify for this clique.Saw my first game at Brunswick St 1960 Fitzroy v Geelong.
Was down there today. Popped in to have a look at the Brunswick St. Bash before heading to the MCG to watch Richmond v Hawthorn. As far as the Over 50’s Clique goes, you are in!

Watched tbt today in 1978 and they mentioned a dude named Fraser kicked 9 in our win over the tiges. Never kicked another goal after that game. He looked alot like Merrigan but was wearing 3. Am I losing my marbels......did this really happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back