Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies thought you might have taken the lid off and dropped it on the keys.Should have known the lid no longer exists
I just don’t put lids on things anymore because I don’t have the strength to unscrew them.

Just listening to Footyology podcast (highly recommended to anyone) and Rohan mentioned Gezza67's YouTube channel with lots of old footy stuff. To my surprise, I also saw this. Cruising down Lygon St listening to Skyhooks... memories! Many nights spent in various pubs (favourite The Clyde), Jimmy Watson's, Twins fish and chips and pizza places most Papa Gino's, always with an eye out to avoid trouble. I was looking for myself in a one in a billion chance in the video but I wan't there. 3KZ is Football Mr Ripper

Just listening to Footyology podcast (highly recommended to anyone) and Rohan mentioned Gezza67's YouTube channel with lots of old footy stuff. To my surprise, I also saw this. Cruising down Lygon St listening to Skyhooks... memories! Many nights spent in various pubs (favourite The Clyde), Jimmy Watson's, Twins fish and chips and pizza places most Papa Gino's, always with an eye out to avoid trouble. I was looking for myself in a one in a billion chance in the video but I wan't there. 3KZ is Football Mr Ripper

That was one of my old stomping grounds!

I was at Melbourne Uni doing an Arts degree 1981-1984 and on and off over the next 5 years doing my Masters and later Dip Ed. Happy days.

That was one of my old stomping grounds!

I was at Melbourne Uni doing an Arts degree 1981-1984 and on and off over the next 5 years doing my Masters and later Dip Ed. Happy days.
I was at Melbourne Uni doing an Arts degree 1971-1974 .. spooky. When the Albion Hotel was in full swing.

I was at Melbourne Uni doing an Arts degree 1971-1974 .. spooky. When the Albion Hotel was in full swing.
As an undergraduate, we drank mostly at Naughtons. While doing my PhD, we moved to the Clyde. I also enjoyed hearing down to Brunswick St, mainly The Provincial. Dan O'Connell's also was good.

The Albion. Vaguely remember but isn't it shops now?

As an undergraduate, we drank mostly at Naughtons. While doing my PhD, we moved to the Clyde. I also enjoyed hearing down to Brunswick St, mainly The Provincial. Dan O'Connell's also was good.

Lived in Drummond near Faraday. Pram Factory and La Mamma. Johnny's Green Room / 3XY / Carlton Movie House. Professor Longhair’s Music Shop opened up next to Albion. Flicking thru' the albums. Albion became Sportsgirl (?). Monochrome telly.

A serious moment just between us oldies....

...in light of this coronavirus and it's supposed affect on us "elderly" hmm:mad: please take extra care of yourselves, get pneumonia injections, they last 5yrs my doc told me, and first sign of a sniffle get those panadols, vicks, puffers, in fact the works, right into you.....and keep a low profile if possible.

When Mr MM had his cancer last year, one of the docs told us that panadol is grossly underrated and isn't given the credit it deserves.

We have to get through this so that we are around to see our boys do a 3peat Mk2 afterall!!

See you all on the other side of this damned nuisance of a thing:thumbsu::)

Last edited:
Lived in Drummond near Faraday. Pram Factory and La Mamma. Johnny's Green Room / 3XY / Carlton Movie House. Professor Longhair’s Music Shop opened up next to Albion. Flicking thru' the albums. Albion became Sportsgirl (?). Monochrome telly.
Speaking of instruments, do any of you lot remember Fretted Instruments in Brunswick St, Fitzroy?

...in light of this coronavirus and it's supposed affect on us "elderly" hmm:mad: please take extra care of yourselves, get pneumonia injections, they last 5yrs my doc told me, and first sign of a sniffle get those panadols, vicks, puffers, in fact the works, right into you.....and keep a low profile if possible.

When Mr MM had his cancer last year, one of the docs told us that panadol is grossly underrated and isn't given the credit it deserves.

We have to get through this so that we are around to see our boys do a 3peat Mk2 afterall!!

I am glad that you're thinking about taking precautions. The pneumonia vaccine does last for 5 years but would only help against selected secondary bacterial infections (totally ineffective against viruses). Everyone needs to rigidly use good hygiene practices. if things get worse make sure that Mr MM limits contact with nearly everyone and you wash thoroughly when you return back to the house.

I used to drink at the Prince Alfred. It was a good pub until they renovated it and turned it into another cold, generic yuppie palace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of instruments, do any of you lot remember Fretted Instruments in Brunswick St, Fitzroy?
Yeah. Great store.
1583874964734.jpeg
It’s in Elgin street now.
As a poor uni student it was a great store to drop in and play a guitar that you couldn’t afford but dreamt about owning.

Last edited:

I didn’t mind the Clyde. 👍

I hope Mr. MM is recovering well. I’ll send some good karma his way.

Thanks heaps for your good karma, will pass it on to him......he has recovered remarkably well and is now on a maintenance program i.e checkups every few months which will taper off as he stays well.
Great news.

Yeah. Great store.
View attachment 837311
It’s in Elgin street now.
As a poor uni student it was a great store to drop in and play a guitar that you couldn’t afford but dreamt about owning.
Too funny; Fretted Instruments was started by my muso father-in-law and I only thought to ask following you old blokes reminiscing about the area and various drinking and musical establishments.

Too funny; Fretted Instruments was started by my muso father-in-law and I only thought to ask following you old blokes reminiscing about the area and various drinking and musical establishments.
I seriously think we should all meet up for a game this year, maybe the Collingwood or Carlton game or both. DERRINALPHIL and I usually catch up at games when we play at Docklands and it’s fun.

In terms of coincidences and crossed paths, here’s a freaky one from my work. I have a colleague who started at my school in 2019, who is the same age and like me, likes football and music. I wore a Gang of Four “Entertainment” t- shirt to work on a PD day in January, before the Students came back and he said he thought he would be the only person at work who knew that band. So we started chatting about bands and venues like The Seaview Ballroom and it turns out we were at about 20 or so different gigs that we could remember from the ‘80s. Then he mentioned the punk band Depression and I mentioned that I knew people in the band / their circle through a friend who lived in a shared house in Burke Rd East Malvern. I described where the house was and he knew it because he said he used to live in East Malvern. So I say, my first girlfriend, who went to Korowa lived in East Malvern. So he says my sister went to Korowa. So I say, my girlfriend at the time lived in Douglas St and he says, “I lived in Douglas st!” My girlfriend lived at number 4 and he tells me he lived at number 20. So I say, “do you remember the silver HQ Holden Premier that was always parked at the Waverley Rd end of Douglas street?” I used to spend plenty of nights and every weekend at her place for the best part of five years and he says “yeah I remember that car.”
What a set of coincidences.

Then he mentioned the punk band Depression and I mentioned that I knew people in the band / their circle through a friend who lived in a shared house in Burke Rd East Malvern. I described where the house was and he knew it because he said he used to live in East Malvern. So I say, my first girlfriend, who went to Korowa lived in East Malvern. So he says my sister went to Korowa. So I say, my girlfriend at the time lived in Douglas St and he says, “I lived in Douglas st!” My girlfriend lived at number 4 and he tells me he lived at number 20. So I say, “do you remember the silver HQ Holden Premier that was always parked at the Waverley Rd end of Douglas street?” I used to spend plenty of nights and every weekend at her place for the best part of five years and he says “yeah I remember that car.”
What a set of coincidences.
Incredible.

I think we may have spoken about this before, but as a young fella I got into Depression when I was like 5 or 6. I had an older cousin that was very much into metal / punk etc. and he used to get into them and by the time I was in grade six, was an avid fan with all of their stuff. I still recall Mum being repulsed when I asked her to buy me the record with some soldier with a hole in his head (literally) from Greville Street Records. She did by the way. Any way I got to see them through a relative that owned one of the few recording studios in Melbourne at some venue in Preston / Northcote when they were promoting 'Thrash Till Death'. I reckon I was the only kid in Bayside Melbourne sporting their T-Shirt but I loved them. I think Smeer or Spike or someone like that was their guitarist and I'm sure you'd remember but their singer was a unit and a nutter from memory. I have this image from that one concert I saw as a madman looking bloke belting out favourites such 'Australia, Australia', '50 bucks', 'Money Chain' etc.

I don't know where my records ended up, real shame, but I did buy their whole discography, including a live CD called 'Why do people hate us' from Missing Link records in about 2009.

Obviously with a band name 'Depression', they are almost impossible finding information about.

I did hear after the fact that they played a couple of gigs around the place again maybe 3-4 years ago. Such a shame I missed it because I would've obviously gone had I known about it. Did you go.

Love the story about their house in East Malvern. I'm guessing a lot of the pictures on the sleeve of the CD / Records probably came from there?

Incredible.

I think we may have spoken about this before, but as a young fella I got into Depression when I was like 5 or 6. I had an older cousin that was very much into metal / punk etc. and he used to get into them and by the time I was in grade six, was an avid fan with all of their stuff. I still recall Mum being repulsed when I asked her to buy me the record with some soldier with a hole in his head (literally) from Greville Street Records. She did by the way. Any way I got to see them through a relative that owned one of the few recording studios in Melbourne at some venue in Preston / Northcote when they were promoting 'Thrash Till Death'. I reckon I was the only kid in Bayside Melbourne sporting their T-Shirt but I loved them. I think Smeer or Spike or someone like that was their guitarist and I'm sure you'd remember but their singer was a unit and a nutter from memory. I have this image from that one concert I saw as a madman looking bloke belting out favourites such 'Australia, Australia', '50 bucks', 'Money Chain' etc.

I don't know where my records ended up, real shame, but I did buy their whole discography, including a live CD called 'Why do people hate us' from Missing Link records in about 2009.

Obviously with a band name 'Depression', they are almost impossible finding information about.

I did hear after the fact that they played a couple of gigs around the place again maybe 3-4 years ago. Such a shame I missed it because I would've obviously gone had I known about it. Did you go.

Love the story about their house in East Malvern. I'm guessing a lot of the pictures on the sleeve of the CD / Records probably came from there?

They didn’t live in East Malvern, but my close friend Kate was sharing the house with these two punk twins Les and his brother Steve. Les was a punk ticket collector at Caulfield Station. He was hard to forget.
Smear was the guitarist, I didn’t really know him. Spike became a youth worker I think. A friend of mine, Dale plays drums for Speed Demons, which is one of Smeer’s other bands. I used to see Depression a lot at The Seaview Ballroom and John Barleycorn in Collingwood. I also saw them when they supported the Dead Kennedys.

Last edited:

Smear was the guitarist, I didn’t really know him. Spike became a youth worker I think. A friend of mine, Dale plays drums for Speed Demons, which is one of Smeer’s other bands. I used to see Depression a lot at The Seaview Ballroom and John Barleycorn in Collingwood. I also saw them when they supported the Dead Kennedys.

If only I was old enough to see Depression supporting DK's.

What year was that? Must've been an epic concert.

I was too young to know, but didn't back in the day the punks and metalheads not get along? Surprising if true given the similarities and backgrounds of the two groups. I certainly appreciate the crossover in the 80's where the two musical styles really did fuse together to create their own genre. I guess thrash probably brought it together through bands like DRI and early Suicidal Tendencies etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back