Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

MacMum I saw your post about missing your mother's birthday and I hope in some way you will be able to make it. I am also wondering when I will see my parents (also elderly) and family again (most live in Victoria and a few in Tasmania).

3KZ is Football Dylan12 DERRINALPHIL and others. Keep safe if you're in lockdown!
I’m actually in Warrnambool with my boys. We are on a pilgrimage to the Frendlies Society Park (Home of South Warrnambool FC) to give thanks for Hugh McCluggage! Now as it turns out Melbourne is in lockdown and we are three hours west of where we live. We are going to try to bust back in on Friday and then go into lockdown, until I have to go back to work on Monday. My kids on the other hand, get an extra week of school holidays. At work I will be teaching my VCE class only on the first week and then teaching my VCE class and the other two classes remotely from the next week. I have to physically be at work, but how it’s all going to work is up in the air. Crazy days.

Enjoy your pilgrimage with your boys, lovely part of the world. Pay hommage to the home of our Hugh and come home safe and sound please:)

(My granddaughter and her family live a little further along down there..)

My trip to Warrnambool is complete! I just saw Noel Mugavin crossing Banyan Street!
I just realised that there was a poetic element to my post, so I thought I might develop it further. Feel free to join in. Here’s the first and possibly last stanza.

ODE TO NOEL MUGAVIN - Number 35

My trip to Warrnambool was made complete,
When I saw Noel Mugavin crossing Banyan Street,
He was a Royboy whose boots weren’t fleet,
Unlike “The Flea” with skills replete,
He’d drop the ball and trip over his feet,
But my heart grew light and skipped a beat,
When I saw Noel Mugavin crossing Banyan Street.

Last edited:
Loving the fact that we will have footy every night. English cricket on Kayo. the nights are OK

Full 12 seasons of Red Dwarf on Stan.

Woke up with a cold yesterday but did the right thing: cancelled work (sorry patients ) had the test ( told them they would need the extender to get right the way up my nose) and I am half way through season two of RD. I mean self isolating.

Loved the episode where they find Kryton.

What are other people doing to occupy their time?

I just realised that there was a poetic element to my post, so I thought I might develop it further. Feel free to join in. Here’s the first and possibly last stanza.

ODE TO NOEL MUGAVIN - Number 35

My trip to Warrnambool was made complete,
I saw Noel Mugavin crossing Banyan Street,
He was a Royboy whose boots weren’t fleet,
Unlike “The Flea” with skills replete,
He’d drop the ball and trip over his feet,
But my heart grew light and skipped a beat,
When I saw Noel Mugavin crossing Banyan Street.

This made my morning! I'm sorry I didn't see it until now.

Send it to the Coodabeens.

Loving the fact that we will have footy every night. English cricket on Kayo. the nights are OK

Full 12 seasons of Red Dwarf on Stan.

Woke up with a cold yesterday but did the right thing: cancelled work (sorry patients ) had the test ( told them they would need the extender to get right the way up my nose) and I am half way through season two of RD. I mean self isolating.

Loved the episode where they find Kryton.

What are other people doing to occupy their time?
Hope you are OK Phil.

OK - It’s not actually an ode, but who cares. I have sent it off.

Last edited:

I got a message back from “Champs” who has the poem. I hope they give it a run this weekend. I’ll be listening.

Last edited:
You're a star! Hope they gave you credit for it though:glowingstar:

also:
Hope all us oldies are wearing our masks?:mask:
Yep. I’m just about to go for a kick of the footy with my son at the local oval and I will be masked up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately not. I was on a school camp, but I took a trans along so I could listen to the game. I actually twisted my ankle on the morning of the game and listened propped up in bed, icing my ankle. I went to the players reunion At the Veneto Club a few years ago and it is a victory that still thrills players and spectators.

Two errors by Witherden that show what little footy IQ he has.

As for Hipwood, how on earth does an AFL level player miss such a sitter almost directly in front from 30m out?

Two errors by Witherden that show what little footy IQ he has.

As for Hipwood, how on earth does an AFL level player miss such a sitter almost directly in front from 30m out?
I would back myself to kick ten out of ten from there and I’ve had a medial knee replacement in my left knee. Hipwood’s technique is pathetic. He should be dropped if he can’t kick those.

I would back myself to kick ten out of ten from there and I’ve had a medial knee replacement in my left knee. Hipwood’s technique is pathetic. He should be dropped.
I reckon I'd have kicked it on my non preferred left.

I'm no Aka, but my left is just as good as my right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back