Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ins- Fort, Lyons, Ah Chee, Robertson.

Outs- Zorko, Rich, Wilmot, Gunston.

I don't mind it 3KZ, however I would prefer to keep the pace and gut running both ways of Wilmot over Lyons. I would also go Prior over Ah Chee, think Jaxon has shown a lot more in the reserves than Callum over the last few weeks.
Yep it is a coin toss between Prior, Wilmot, Ah Chee and Robertson. I selected Robertson because I would be using Robertson for a hard tag on Sam Walsh. I did change my Sub, swapping Prior for Answerth.

If it’s ok - I’ll forward the team to Fagan.

Just reflecting on our game against Carlton thinking about games from the 1970s to 1995. s**t they were good, and always played well in the 3rd quarter (premiership quarter as Lou Richards would say). Skillful but hard teams who always expected to win. The paper bags were a bonus obviously.

I went to an Carlton vs Essendon game at Princes Park in the mid 1980s and it was packed. I remember the hot donuts down near the scoreboard, peanut man, the steel VB cans and plenty of niggle also in the crowd. Many of things said would be frowned upon today. There was also a little fire that was lit on the terrace.

I couldn’t stand them in the 70’s and 80’s, but you are right, they were a great team over a long period. I was at the season opener in 1982 when we drew with Carlton after Greg Wells got a dodgy free and kicked a point to draw the game. We wuz robbed! I think my favourite win, however, was the come from behind win in our first game of 1993. Came from 30 points down at 3/4 time to win by 6. Loved that one.

PS Those steel cans were dangerous! I remember the occasional can getting thrown from the terraces in disgust at an umpire or opposition player. Was was so commonplace it wasn’t seen as a big deal. Today something like that would be front page news.

I couldn’t stand them in the 70’s and 80’s, but you are right, they were a great team over a long period. I was at the season opener in 1982 when we drew with Carlton after Greg Wells got a dodgy free and kicked a point to draw the game. We wuz robbed! I think my favourite win, however, was the come from behind win in our first game of 1993. Came from 30 points down at 3/4 time to win by 6. Loved that one.
In that draw we came from I reckon 5 goals 🙌 down.The revival was sparked I recollect by one M Conlan.The best thing about it was listening to the oh so arrogant oh so entitled Blues supporters start to s**t bricks

In that draw we came from I reckon 5 goals 🙌 down.The revival was sparked I recollect by one M Conlan.The best thing about it was listening to the oh so arrogant oh so entitled Blues supporters start to s**t bricks
Yep. Here it is. Gary Wilson's running was amazing. One of the first 'modern footballers'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3KZ is Football
I mostly agree with your analysis but I am more bullish on Willmott. Does well in the one on ones and makes things happen. Although he got off to a slow start, though he was very good in the second half.

3KZ is Football
I mostly agree with your analysis but I am more bullish on Willmott. Does well in the one on ones and makes things happen. Although he got off to a slow start, though he was very good in the second half.
You might be right about Wilmot. Given his role, he doesn’t get the ball in his hands enough for mine and when he does he often has a fit of the fumbles. I’m hoping he comes good. His pass to Daniher in the third quarter was sublime. If he could find an extra 20% he would be a lock.

You might be right about Wilmot. Given his role, he doesn’t get the ball in his hands enough for mine and when he does he often has a fit of the fumbles. I’m hoping he comes good. His pass to Daniher in the third quarter was sublime. If he could find an extra 20% he would be a lock.
That's what is exciting at the moment to me. So many of the players can get better by that little bit and be more consistent.

Fitzroy have stated the year at 4-0 in VAFA B and played in the older maroon and dark blue jumpers today. I personally think this is the best Fitzroy jumper - although there are only 3 major designs since 1897.

I went to the match. Fitzroy outplayed Old Trinity for most of the game and withstood a final quarter charge, before kicking a couple of sealers late. Never in doubt.
I think we should have an Over 50’s Clique excursion to a game at the WORLD FAMOUS Brunswick Street Oval.

Last edited:
Hello fellow venerable people, well it has happened.... my eldest grandchild turned 18 today and I am now a grandparent to an adult:eek::shoutyoldman:, I do not feel as old as I am in reality.

Going out for a family dinner at Howard Smith Wharves tonight to celebrate, should be a good night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back