Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Carlson was a great pick up actually. Bizzare by today's standard's, he actually played for two clubs, Collingwood AND Fitzroy in 1981. Played 4 games for Collingwood between Rounds 1 and 9 and then 15 for Fitzroy, including the Elimination and Semi Finals. He was quick, read the play well and knew how to kick a goal.

Leigh was my captain at regent in junior footy. We played across the road from Northland shopping centre in the middle of a trotting track....nice guy n talented.

The other side of the ledger was the loss of Allan, Irwin and Marchesani at the end of the 1980 season. In retrospect, probably cost us a flag or two. Had those three been on our list, I think Fitzroy might have pinched a Premiership in '81 and we would have been dead certs in '83 with a mid-field selected from Wilson, Lokan, Allan, Marchesani, Harris and Irwin. Then add Barwick, who arrived in '84 and this midfield group was equal to or better than anything else running around at the time.
Interesting that marchesani couldn't get a kick after he left us..Karma

View attachment 393462 View attachment 393463 View attachment 393464
At the Junction Oval in 1971 for this game against Carlton. This was the most bizzare games in VFL / AFL history. It was a beautiful sunny August day at the Junction Oval and Fitzroy were going well against the reigning premiers and then before the last quarter an amazing fog descended on the Oval. Visibility was next to zero, but somehow the game went on and Fitzroy drew away to win.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1971/030619710821.html

I was -1 at the time so wasn't there. My parents were. They spoke of how from the grandstand you couldn't see the players - just their legs when it was on the grandstand side of the ground. Kevin Murray kicked two, and they reckoned he just ran with the ball tucked under his arm, and no one knew who had it.

I will be writing to Richmond and Brisbane this week to suggest that in future, all games in Melbourne between the two clubs be played for the Noel Mugavin Cup. This would be a fitting recognition of a great former Fitzroy and Richmond player.
View attachment 392210
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Mugavin

Jono Brown's uncle. Looking at that pic, you can definitely see Browny in the bottom half of his face I reckon.

By the way - should be the Mugavin Mug. Not the Mugavin Cup.

I was -1 at the time so wasn't there. My parents were. They spoke of how from the grandstand you couldn't see the players - just their legs when it was on the grandstand side of the ground. Kevin Murray kicked two, and they reckoned he just ran with the ball tucked under his arm, and no one knew who had it.

Conceived at half time under the cover of the fog?

Then there is this! Welcome to the Gabba Carlton.

I think this was an important game for the Club's history, in terms of being as the merger happened. As someone from the Fitzroy side of the family who was still feeling the pain, I was still undecided as to if I was going to barrack for a team in 1997. While it wasn't the only factor, looking at this game, I was certainly left thinking that this was a team that was going to be good to watch in the years to come, whether I barracked for them in the end or not. It really was a ripping squad with the makings of what would go on to be the Premiership Years. They just had something about them - you could see it was going to happen.

...as do our young ones today. When I look back at our Bears, from the floggings to slowly but surely getting better, I see similarities to where we are at now.
Absolutely! There are future Brisbane Lions Premiership players currently on our list.

Couldn't help but share this little gem of a video of a rather incensed River Plate FC fan (the biggest, if not second biggest Argentinian professional football club's, alongside their biggest rival Boca Juniors Football Club) whilst watching the final game of the season which relegated the club for the first and only time in its history (to the point that in Argentinian football now, club's can only be relegated after the aggregate of three season's worth of points).

The father doesn't know that his children recorded him whilst watching the game, but it is hilarious viewing. I can't say I haven't had moments such as these whilst watching the Lions but I may have to give the game away if I do or my fiance leaves me for doing so.

Enjoy.

Couldn't help but share this little gem of a video of a rather incensed River Plate FC fan (the biggest, if not second biggest Argentinian professional football club's, alongside their biggest rival Boca Juniors Football Club) whilst watching the final game of the season which relegated the club for the first and only time in its history (to the point that in Argentinian football now, club's can only be relegated after the aggregate of three season's worth of points).

The father doesn't know that his children recorded him whilst watching the game, but it is hilarious viewing. I can't say I haven't had moments such as these whilst watching the Lions but I may have to give the game away if I do or my fiance leaves me for doing so.

Enjoy.

Are sure that's not John watching a Manchester United game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha...some of that is probably more reminiscent of me watching a Daniel Merrett brain fart or Josh Green generally being lazy.
I hear you brother!

Yep, they were tough times. Fortunately you can still see Fitzroy running around in the VAFA - Home Game this week against Mazenod and we really need the win. Started the season really well, but our form has tailed right off.

Len S was at this one and he said innacurate kicking nearly cost us the game, but in the end we prevailed. I know that Carlton have discussed this game prior to our clash tomorrow. Their club is still carrying mental scars from this loss.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1897/030618970508.html

PS. Off to the Brunswick St. Oval today to see Fitzroy v Mazenod. We need a win. C'arn the Roys!

Stopped at the traffic lights in Lonsdale street near the courts a couple of weeks ago and Dyson Hore-Lacy was walking across the road in his court gear. Brought back some sad memories of a man fighting hard for his beloved club. Thank you Dyson.

View attachment 393111
best line is from peter landy when i watched the game afterwards. he says coming up to three quarter time, 'smythe eludes lupson. he'd want to.'

I played forward poctet one season with Dean as my full forward for a couple of games. I was young and got targeted often. I still remember to this day the time he said to my opponent - if you do that again you will pay. My opponent did and then I heard this almight whack sound. Not pretty but let's say that player never bothered me or anyone else again that day.

Grouse computer generated flyover of VFL Park. As bad a place as it was to view the footy, I think we all miss it. Great memories.

If they had extended the grandstands all the way around it would have held 150,000. What a pity the AFL sold it to make a few bucks on the land.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back