Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticed how many marks dropped with those bare arms?
Alex Ruscuklic, Harvey Merrigan, Leigh Carlson, Alastair Lynch, Gary Pert, Mark Dwyer, Billy Lokan, Paul Roos and Darryl White endorse long sleeved guernseys.
F696BBEC-DE26-4060-8825-08006DD36632.jpeg

ED426F62-F390-4F7B-AAF4-17020E3870FF.jpeg

Last edited:

The Over 50's Clique Official Position on season 2020

The following is the official line of the Over 50's Clique.

While it is natural to be disappointed after our Preliminary Final loss to Geelong, we need to put our performance this year and the promise of future premiership glory into perspective. In 2019 and 2020 Brisbane finished the both seasons second on the ladder. We have a precociously talented list and a number of players who have the potential to be superstars, but given their age and experience, some tend to still be a little mercurial. This lack of experience and physical strength, saw us brushed aside in the 2019 Finals. Our win in the 2020 Qualifying Final was a dramatic improvement and portent of things to come, but we are still lacking in physical strength in some departments and composure in the cauldron of Finals football. In that respect, making the Preliminary Final was a massive achievement and there is no shame associated with losing to a side that boasts Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett, Taylor, Henderson and Hawkins among their number. All big bodied and mature footballers.

The Over 50's Clique likens our current side to the 1999 Team, which finished 3rd on the ladder and won two finals, only to be defeated comfortably by eventual premiers North Melbourne in the Preliminary Final. Just like that team, the current side is full of talent and potential, there are a few minor adjustments to be made with personnel, bodies need to get bigger and with the passage of a small number of years, the current list will ENJOY PREMIERSHIP GLORY!

Warm Regards to all,

3KZ is Football

Just to reinforce the idea that our current position is not unlike the situation at Brisbane in 1999, here are a few numbers. Prior to the start of the 1999 season, here are how many games had been played by some of our stars who went on to become PREMIERSHIP HEROES 2001 - 2003 after they gained strength and experience:

McDonald - 3 Games
Notting - 5 Games
Power - 9 Games
Black - 9 Games
Keating - 41 Games
Aker - 72 Games
McCrae - 73 Games
Leppa - 82 Games
Lappin - 102

In 1999 we were a developing side who made finals based on some amazing young talent, supported by some more experienced players like Ashcroft, Hart, Lynch and Voss. In 2020 we are in the same position. We have the fourth youngest list and Premiership glory for our current group is not far away.

Last edited:
Just to reinforce the idea that our current position is not unlike the situation at Brisbane in 1999, here are a few numbers. Prior to the start of the 1999 season, here are how many games had been played by some of our stars who went on to become PREMIERSHIP HEROES 2001 - 2003 after they gained strength and experience:

McDonald - 3 Games
Notting - 5 Games
Power - 9 Games
Black - 9 Games
Keating - 41 Games
Aker - 72 Games
McCrae - 73 Games
Leppa - 82 Games
Lappin - 102

In 1999 we were a developing side who made finals based on some amazing young talent, supported by some more experienced players like Ashcroft, Hart, Lynch and Voss. In 2020 we are in the same position. We have the fourth youngest list and Premiership glory for our current group is not far away.
Still remember this game mainly for Blacky being out in the first few minutes with an eye socket injury. Micky Martyn pretty sure. We were in control of this game in the 2nd quarter but probably experience back then as well. Hopefully if all the stars align we can see some special times for the next five years.

I noticed Dylan12 posted om another thread.

Would like to hear his season wrap up? Would like to hear everyone on the over 50 wrap up the season.

Will think about writing my own one.

Going to youtube old Fitzroy matches tonight in my personal Grand Final marathon. I wonder if the winning matches from 95 are available. Missed both

Covid aside, I have loved this season, the fairness of it, footy frenzys, seeing the vic clubs having to camp out for months, the GF being at the Gabba......and the performances of our boys. So proud of them for consistency and giving their all......and then there was seeing Lachie get the Brownlow and MM Medal.

A great year keeps on keeping on.......looking forward to 2021:)

Not sure where on the Brisbane board to post this, but I'm selling my spare AFL microfigures and I have the following Lions players for sale:

$2: Brown and Rich
$4: Christensen, Hanley, Beams, Taylor

Extra for postage but if you live in or near Adelaide I should be able to meet up or deliver them. Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks
Brisbane.JPG

Well Mature Lions, what are you opinions on the sort of footy we are seeing this year.

I like it and would like to see more full forwards kicking more goals.

I wish 3KZ was still with us so he could bask in the adulation of Lester that we now all throw out each week. I would also like his take on the footy.

Driving through Fitzroy the other day, the Gasometer Hotel now has a terrific mural of Kevin Murray and another player who I am sure I should recognize. Any help for an old fellow in identifying the player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had the first Covid shot. Being a dentist and seeing several 75 year old patients every day I want to reduce the possibility that I might give someone a big initial dose of the disease. Don't care about your podiatrist. He's a mile away unless you are a short arse.

However I wish I waited for the Over50 role out. One can dream!!

Noticed that North Melbourne's Collingwood financial reject was BOG in North's game in torrential rain in Perth, which all the mature Lions would have been predicting.

He played in long sleeves.
That win by North was quite amazing and shows that once a team starts to falter a bit, other teams smell blood and anything can happen.

Is anyone else like me finding it unpleasant to actually go to the football especially at Marvel.
There are 3 levels of flashing signs ,incredibly loud announcements and incredibly loud music.
I feel I am at a rock concert and feel that all the flashing signs could trigger an epileptic fit.
Half time used to be a time for reflection and checking out the scores from the other grounds.
I know I am old at 69 but I now have little or no interest in actually turning up

Is anyone else like me finding it unpleasant to actually go to the football especially at Marvel.
There are 3 levels of flashing signs ,incredibly loud announcements and incredibly loud music.
I feel I am at a rock concert and feel that all the flashing signs could trigger an epileptic fit.
Half time used to be a time for reflection and checking out the scores from the other grounds.
I know I am old at 69 but I now have little or no interest in actually turning up
The 'match day experience' at the Gabba is no better, I can assure you. Drives me nuts.

Yeah this is getting more and more annoying. The flashing signs are more in your face that the footy itself. It's almost like you need to wear sunnies to every game to block it out. I don't see any way back from here though. The game is all about generating cash these days, not so much about on-field.

Know what you mean. Also there's the not insignificant fact that it's a terrible place for contact sport, when considering both the hardness of the ground (muscle injuries) and the shifting turf (joint injuries). Our 2003 premiership quest was almost completely derailed that night we played Essendon there. On top of all the blokes who got injured that night we even had Leppa KO himself on a goal post!

There's also the world's greatest sporting stadium half an hour walk away, which these days is vacant far more often than it should be.

I must admit, I'm only 39 but every time that sheila out on the ground encourages everyone to "make some noise" it encourages me more to shut the hell up!
Worst matchday experience I ever had was at a game of English basketball between Newcastle & Manchester. Cursed already, I know. Compare dead silence when the home team was taking a penalty throw to the MC telling everyone to "be proud, be loud" - and then playing a bunch of klaxons in case the crowd was inadequate - every time the away side was taking a penalty.

Now I don't know if that sort of thing is standard practice at basketball but it threw me right off. Was pretty much barracking for the away side by the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back