Coaching Footy Over complicating junior footy coaching

Discussion in 'Skills, Coaching, Admin, Umpires' started by Surfnbaz, Apr 15, 2018 at 6:06 PM.

Put it out there
  1. Surfnbaz

Surfnbaz Draftee

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Gday guys, id love some feedback please.
    Im in my second year of coaching juniors, currently u13's, this pre season we worked alot on forwards / backs pushing up the ground, switching, having a spare running half back flanker.
    We played our first game of the season today and we leaked goals, once the ball got over the top, work rate or am i over complicating things.
    Should i just say, 18 on 18, backs man on man and set up standard?
    I want to teach them new things but maybe confusing them
    Thanks guys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Drugs Are Bad Mackay?

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool
    Possibly a bit complex for U13s but stick with what you've been practising. The team doing it in a coordinated fashion under match conditions will take some time to bed down.

If you chop and change to new plans and ideas that's worse.

Aeglos likes this.
  3. Aeglos

Aeglos Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Riverpigs
    Definitely teach them new things, but try to implement them one at a time so you don’t confuse them too much. Once they’ve starting to get comfortable with what you’re trying to teach now think about bringing in something new.
    And DEFINITELY be consistent with your messages. You’ll be surprised how quickly kids will pick up when you contradict yourself and you’ll start to lose them if you do it enough.