Over exposed AFL identities

Remove this Banner Ad

TheBont

Club Legend
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
off topic alittle

I love most of the boys (besides Wayne carey and damian barret) on triple m but I always cringe when it's usually jb who brings up a player's school background.

"Yep his a brighton grammar boy! Blah blah"
He always does this on his show with billy when they're interviewing a player

* off with your private school boy elitism s**t jb no one gives a *.

Randall Stevens

Senior List
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was a good player but I don't remember him as a great of his era. In his position he wasn't top 10, arguably not top 20.

Lyon was named all Australian three years running in the mid 90’s, and played for Victoria 10 times, so he was clearly very highly rated in his era. And he kicked 70 plus goals two years in a row before suffering serious back injuries.
His career goals per game average is certainly unremarkable, but he was a much better player than he is being given credit for by some in this thread.

How Billy Brownless still has a media career is utterly amazing.

Literally gets paid by Triple M to be an unfunny dumb campaigner.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
How Billy Brownless still has a media career is utterly amazing.

Literally gets paid by Triple M to be an unfunny dumb campaigner.
Lucky for him thats the 70% of the job description in the footy industry.

A seemingly endless series low-wit banter/jokes directed at their fellow simpleton commentator, followed by canned laughter from themselves. Insert a few stats here about the game and there. Then repeat.

Its embarrasing and cringeworthy at best, and the actually opposite of engaging their audience.

Fortunately for them the actual afl product is good enough that most plebs will unconsciously tolerate their s**t to watch/listen to the game in the hope of a win.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Lyon was named all Australian three years running in the mid 90’s, and played for Victoria 10 times, so he was clearly very highly rated in his era. And he kicked 70 plus goals two years in a row before suffering serious back injuries.
His career goals per game average is certainly unremarkable, but he was a much better player than he is being given credit for by some in this thread.
He was always that second-tier tall forward along with Sumich, Longmire, Stoneham (the latter pair pre-injuries) and the like. Never quite the same superstar as Carey, Ablett, Lockett and Dunstall - but still very, very good.

Don't forget that he also wasn't the Big Dog up forward for most of his career, with Bennett, Jakovich and Schwartz all for competition.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Carey I find insufferable as a media performer. He's there solely on the strength of what he did as a footballer IMO; as a media performer, he's not that great. He's awkwardly Dad-esque in his humour, and doesn't really say much as an analyst.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
He was always that second-tier tall forward along with Sumich, Longmire, Stoneham (the latter pair pre-injuries) and the like. Never quite the same superstar as Carey, Ablett, Lockett and Dunstall - but still very, very good.

Don't forget that he also wasn't the Big Dog up forward for most of his career, with Bennett, Jakovich and Schwartz all for competition.

This.

Finished 4th in the Coleman twice and otherwise was nowhere near it. 70 odd goals is good going but you're talking about an era where guys kicked 120-130. Also wasn't a prodigious marker like Stewart Loewe or Carey.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
lyonstretcher4f715cc81861331abc000b77.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
I actually think it’s big fish small pond with Dunstall. Same as Newman. They’re somewhat clever, probably quite clever actually, but they’d rather be the big boys and put your average dullard down in the AFL world. They’re both condescending and arrogant, and they push that to sort of extricate themselves from the masses even though they work in an industry that’s all about the masses.

They’re just not comfortable enough to get out into a different place where they’re a bit more challenged, probably because they get paid so well. Dunstall being a surly git is more of a front I’d say.

The thing about Dunstall is he has quite a track record both as a player AND as an administrator. Was a pretty decent fill in CEO for the Hawks, instrumental in making sure Clarko got the job when Dermie and everyone was pushing for Gary Ayres or Wallace and knew exactly when to get out. Put it this way, Dunstall is a decent media performer but can you imagine Sam Newman ever going in as a CEO the Cats and making a success of it?

Vyrone Trickery

Senior List
Apr 9, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The thing about Dunstall is he has quite a track record both as a player AND as an administrator. Was a pretty decent fill in CEO for the Hawks, instrumental in making sure Clarko got the job when Dermie and everyone was pushing for Gary Ayres or Wallace and knew exactly when to get out. Put it this way, Dunstall is a decent media performer but can you imagine Sam Newman ever going in as a CEO the Cats and making a success of it?

Bias Hawk fan here but this is right. Dunstall has administrative success and all-time great player status, so watching him phone-in media performances is far from unbearable.

As flagged by someone earlier, podcasts like Footyology, Junktime, 2 Guys 1 Cup are fun. Also enjoy Jimmy Bartel on audio, and find Phil Davis, Richo, Judd, and Bob Murphy entertaining. Also reck James Brayshaw is a decent polished anchor.

Consolaçao

All Australian
May 22, 2007
Melbourne Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Phnom Penh Utd (curling)
Fact

Never coached yet question coaches
Wife cheater
Was a slow full forward who wouldn't get a kick in today's game

All his credentials are media driven from the footy show

As someone who’s never commentated, just can’t believe that you think you have credentials to commentate on commentators.

janty

All Australian
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd be happy to never see these people when watching AFL programming

Bob Murphy
Gerard Whately (when he's talking to Bob Murphy)
Jack Riewoldt
Nick Riewoldt
Jordan Lewis
Garry Lyon

Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Cannot believe that Luke Darcy hasn’t gotten more mentions. The entire channel 7 commentary team is woeful, but the personification of the complete collapse of standards in football media has to be Darcy.

His obnoxious self righteous attitude grates so badly that I find listening to him unbearable. His personality is so manufactured and contrived that I feel like I’m listening to a person that was created by a committee.

I’d almost feel sorry for Bruce, like the rest of us, he’s watched the standards simply rot away from underneath him. The reason I don’t is because he’s bought into the nonsense c7 go on with.

BT; “he says ‘I’m good, I’ve played 154 games’ but Jack says ‘I’m better; I’ve played 232 ...” .... really? ... get out Brian, just go home and sit in the dark and be quiet.

Cameron Ling; the personification of “one of the best blokes in footy” that seems to be the only qualification required to forge a sub par media career.

I’d go through the rest but I simply cannot even remember their names. Worthless clowns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back