Review Overlooked - The Unlucky Ones

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Every year a number of talented players get overlooked at the AFL draft and rookie draft.

With only a relatively small number of players taken (especially in the rookie draft), this thread identifies and discusses those who were over-looked.

Luckily for these players there may be other opportunities to get on an AFL list with the supplementary and mid season drafts.

Some of the unluckiest players to get overlooked include:

- Darcy Cassar
- Darcy Chirgwin
- Dyson Hilder
- Ben Sokol
- Luke Partington
- Cody Hirst
- Daniel Mott
- Lachlan Stapleton

Anyone else out there who was unlucky to miss out? And where to now for these prospects?

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
- Tom Gribble
- Luke Partington
- Angus Baker
- Ben Sokol
- Matthew Hammelmann

- Darcy Cassar, Cooper Sharman, Joshua Shute, Liam Delahunty, Karl Finlay, Dyson Hilder and I could go on,
but what is the point in the end they take who they take.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Isaac Wareham and Callum Park for me, both look to have plenty of upside and had decent Championships. I think Wareham with a very late December birthday likely comes back and shines for the GWV Rebels next year and gets drafted in 2020.

Wareham surely goes back to GWV Rebels as a 19 year old considering his birth date.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Wareham surely goes back to GWV Rebels as a 19 year old considering his birth date.
You would think so but he may decide to pursue his cricket career now because he's also a very talented cricketer....hopefully he comes back bigger and better to the Rebels 2020 program though.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
i have a few players i thought were unlucky not to be drafted, but i have them in tiers, but for whatever reason these players didnt get drafted, they might get a chance via SPP or mid-season draft if they are lucky.

did enough on field to warrant a chance:
Josh Shute
Karl Finlay
Dyson Hilder
Darcy Chirgwin
Darcy Cassar
Jai Jackson
Cody Hirst
Luke Partington
Josh Gore

outside chance to get drafted:
Adam Carafa
Mitch Mellis
Lachlan Stapleton
Callum Park
Harrison Magor
Ben Kelly
Jesse Clark
Jackson Davies
Daniel Mott
Cooper Sharman

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Pretty simple really. Who missed and where are they going to play in 2020?

Would love to know where some of these guys are going to play;

- Riley Bowman (Essendon VFL - linked to SE clubs like Frankston, Sandringham)
- Daniel Mott
- Bailey Schmidt
- Darcy Chirgwin

Any other highly rated guys who missed set to go back to TAC level as over agers?

Wines to cripps

Senior List
Oct 15, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Adam Carafa team mate goes round 1 to Carlton who had shown way less.

Angus hanrahan and chirwig get over looked while spuds like Ralph Smith get picked up.. Kylie York another ..

A player like sokol would play 10 games next year at the blues yet they pick a raw 18 year old. Clubs have it all wrong

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Cassar is the weird one for me. Great skills, can play anywhere. Must have interviewed terribly.
I was surprised as well so went back and watched his vision. If you go back and watch it he didn’t play that great this year. Lots of cheap kicks in the backline and doesn’t get enough of the ball in the contest. Not many important game changing touches, the stat sheet doesn’t mean that much in terms of getting drafted.

scratchy09

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Luke Partington is most unlucky tbh. Bloke is a gun and still quite young. Has both endurance and speed off the mark, plus knows how to find the footy.

Others I think that are unlucky are Sokol, Mott, Bolton (age is an issue), Bowman (might need one more VFL season), Delahunty and Hilder as well could consider themselves unlucky IMO.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
It genuinely shocks me that Sokol can't get drafted when he has such a fantastic ability to find the goals. There are far worse players on AFL lists.
Mid Season draft should stipulate 21 or older. Watch these "project"guys like Knoll, Dunkley get passed over for more immediate guys like Sokol, Partington etc. Bemusing the AFL are not feeling bad for a kid like Cody Hirst who should have been given another shot at AFL but seems destined for the AFL scrap heap now. All at the age of 20

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Mid Season draft should stipulate 21 or older. Watch these "project"guys like Knoll, Dunkley get passed over for more immediate guys like Sokol, Partington etc. Bemusing the AFL are not feeling bad for a kid like Cody Hirst who should have been given another shot at AFL but seems destined for the AFL scrap heap now. All at the age of 20
I feel bad for the kid, if the mid season draft didn’t exist he would’ve got picked up at the end of the year with at 2 year contract.

Last edited:

ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I think Luke Partington is most unlucky tbh. Bloke is a gun and still quite young. Has both endurance and speed off the mark, plus knows how to find the footy.

Others I think that are unlucky are Sokol, Mott, Bolton (age is an issue), Bowman (might need one more VFL season), Delahunty and Hilder as well could consider themselves unlucky IMO.

His ability to find the footy has never been in question.
At WCE WAFL reserves he played for himself ignored instructions was just about getting his 30
possessions a game.
Very selfish footballer that would not do the team things.
If he has turned that around he will be a very good pick up.

Back