Review Overlooked - The Unlucky Ones

Remove this Banner Ad

Neither does Mahony. Didn’t stop him being drafted.

Mahony had better work rate and production in a better standard of competition, more scope to play through the midfield. I'm not overly bullish on him as an AFL prospect either.

Dylan Moore was a similar player the Hawks picked up a few drafts ago. Plenty of talent, but the lack of stand out athletic traits really holds them back as small forwards and they're typically overlooked as midfielders.

Adam Carafa team mate goes round 1 to Carlton who had shown way less.

Angus hanrahan and chirwig get over looked while spuds like Ralph Smith get picked up.. Kylie York another ..

A player like sokol would play 10 games next year at the blues yet they pick a raw 18 year old. Clubs have it all wrong

F Me !!!

Not only would you have not ever seen him play but wouldnt know Hugo Ralphsmith if he fell on your head
but i wont go on anymore as you have already been dealt with

Dela is a local to where I am, I've heard someone say "he didn't want it enough", whatever that means. The talent is definitely there - he'll likely have to make a move to play in a higher league if he wants to get another look in from AFL scouts.

Dela is a local to where I am, I've heard someone say "he didn't want it enough", whatever that means. The talent is definitely there - he'll likely have to make a move to play in a higher league if he wants to get another look in from AFL scouts.
We generally give our academy kids a go in the NEAFL anyway, and he'll likely have the opportunity to play in our NAB League side as well as an over ager

Not sure how much more Sokol could have done. If he didn't get drafted this year, and doesn't get picked up before start of next season, then he may never get his opportunity. Seriously shocked no one picked him up as a rookie at the very least.

Probably suffers from the fact that he plays a relatively "dead" role - playing as the main target up forward at Subi while being sub-190 means he may struggle to fit into most systems. Guys like Membrey, Dickson, etc. have done alright for themselves playing as basically undersized KPFs, but they're a dying breed.

Not sure how much more Sokol could have done. If he didn't get drafted this year, and doesn't get picked up before start of next season, then he may never get his opportunity. Seriously shocked no one picked him up as a rookie at the very least.

Probably suffers from the fact that he plays a relatively "dead" role - playing as the main target up forward at Subi while being sub-190 means he may struggle to fit into most systems. Guys like Membrey, Dickson, etc. have done alright for themselves playing as basically undersized KPFs, but they're a dying breed.
He is very slow over 20m.

I think that is why he did not get drafted.

As a mid season pick up, it is lower risk as he is only locked in for 6 months.

He is very slow over 20m.

I think that is why he did not get drafted.

As a mid season pick up, it is lower risk as he is only locked in for 6 months.

If a guy can kick goals, does it matter how tall he is or how fast/slow he is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theres a rumour Darcy Cassar is training with the Hawks, but i think we'll do the conservative thing and redraft an injury prone 26 yr old for the memes...

Not that my thoughts mean squat but, Cassar -------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Minchington.

Last edited:
If a guy can kick goals, does it matter how tall he is or how fast/slow he is?

Ryan Murphy smashed the WAFL goal kicking a number of years with a good kicking style and knowing where to lead but bit but (to AFL standards) was slow , not particularly big and could never get distance on his opponents, so he rarely got the opportunity to kick goals at AFL. And he was a liability in the other direction.

Sokol is slower (Sokol ran 20m in a time which even Aaron Sandilands could probably beat) and is shorter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back