Universal Love Overlooked/unheralded moments from the GF

Agree we were pessimistic, afraid to believe we wouldn’t stumble. But also it was an even home and away season where late in the season punters thought up to 4 sides could win it. I think the injuries to Hipwood and Bruce helped swing belief our way a little bit but I don’t think many were predicting the fashion we have smashed the finals series.
Also that after the loss to the Dogs we had to win out to take top and if we had stumbled we very well could have dropped to 5th.

Also though the best team doesn't always win it. Geelong 08, Collingwood 11, Adelaide 17, Richmond 18 etc.

Interestingly Melbourne are historically very reliable from top spot. We've won like 9/10 premierships where we were the minor premiers.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Friends,

*Disclaimer - probably the least unheralded moment but wanted to re-live it nonetheless*

I was doing some mind-numbing admin this afternoon and thought, good time to bring out the last minute of the third quarter surge, replayed with several different callers.

The moment I continue to rewind and will forever is post Petracca's goal putting us two goals up. Firstly - the bearded man in the stands barely keeping it together. I think the perfect encapsulating of what majority of Dees fans were doing at that exact moment.

Second, the camera shots on Petracca after that goal. I still get chills thinking about it. It shows pure adrenaline, but also focus, hunger and belief. That encapsulated the mindset of the whole Melbourne team at that moment - and what they were about to do and achieve.

It will be etched in my mind and the first thing I think about when recalling this amazing drought-breaking premiership.

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I recommend listening to the entire WA MMM call, Cometti and the other guy call it beautifully.
True but if it is the call I am thinking of, (yes I’ve listened to them all) it was annoying the other commentator calling Fritz all game.

True but if it is the call I am thinking of, (yes I’ve listened to them all) it was annoying the other commentator calling Fritz all game.
Didn't realise SugarHealey was a commentator.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne

Didn't realise SugarHealey was a commentator.

Only too glad to be a burr in his saddle, just to help him get up and about.

Hey did you notice how he improved his aggression at the ball and man, since that time of questioning his outputs later this season. And him possibly being a weakest link in Finals.

He stepped his game up a whole gear, over the last 6 matches or so. Well-done to Fritta. ;)

Hey did you notice how he improved his aggression at the ball and man, since that time of questioning his outputs later this season. And him possibly being a weakest link in Finals.

He stepped his game up a whole gear, over the last 6 matches or so. Well-done to Fritta. ;)
Reckon he was told mid year that he could lose his spot if he didn’t improve his forward pressure.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

So Fritta reads your posts?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We also kicked 3 goals in 45 seconds against the cats.
Like the more and more I think about it the more I think I might never ever see us play as well as we did in the prelim and GF ever again

My mate a Geelong supporter messaged me following the preliminary final and said Geelong ran into a buzz saw and that nobody were good enough to beat Melbourne on that form. I think Geelong supporters would find some consolation seeing that we repeated it again the following week, that Melbourne were in red hot form.

Also though the best team doesn't always win it. Geelong 08, Collingwood 11, Adelaide 17, Richmond 18 etc.

I would argue Collingwood and Geelong were very evenly matched in 2011. With 2017 is an interesting one, I reckon the problem was Adelaide only got to play Richmond in round 6 or something, they never experienced Richmond when they hit red hot form until the gf. I reckon Richmond were the best team coming into finals.

Would add port from 01-03 being the best example of being the best team but not winning the gf.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
My mate a Geelong supporter messaged me following the preliminary final and said Geelong ran into a buzz saw and that nobody were good enough to beat Melbourne on that form. I think Geelong supporters would find some consolation seeing that we repeated it again the following week, that Melbourne were in red hot form.

I would argue Collingwood and Geelong were very evenly matched in 2011. With 2017 is an interesting one, I reckon the problem was Adelaide only got to play Richmond in round 6 or something, they never experienced Richmond when they hit red hot form until the gf. I reckon Richmond were the best team coming into finals.

Would add port from 01-03 being the best example of being the best team but not winning the gf.
Crows finished top 20% clear or the others in the top 4.
They werent the dominant team I suppose but they were a bloody good team to watch

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
They werent the dominant team I suppose but they were a bloody good team to watch

2017 was a funny year. Have to go all the way back to 1997 to find a team who finished top of the ladder with equal or less premiership points than the Crows had (62, which was 15 wins and a draw).

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Which is why they couldn't give a s**t about that last game against West Coast. I know I'm cherry picking but Richmond's percentage from round 17-23 was 152% they were running in hot.

Adelaide also had a pretty good finish to the year in 2017, even if they lost their last two games. Still won their other two finals by more than Richmond as well. Their issue has always been that a) they don’t play a game plan that stacks up well in finals and b) they weren’t that great away from home that year. I do like the idea that losing to WCE derailed their chances though, given it also derailed ours 😭

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Adelaide also had a pretty good finish to the year in 2017, even if they lost their last two games. Still won their other two finals by more than Richmond as well. Their issue has always been that a) they don’t play a game plan that stacks up well in finals and b) they weren’t that great away from home that year. I do like the idea that losing to WCE derailed their chances though, given it also derailed ours 😭
Tigers were pretty s**t away from home aswell.

I genuinely didn’t believe until Nib’s goal. They’ve scarred me so much. Nib’s goal was the one that made me realise we were good, although I kept doing the Leigh Matthews calculus for a while after.
Thanks to Supermercado I never feel comfortable in games until we pass the Chris Sullivan Line.

Demondad

Debutant
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty sure Big Maxy won the coin toss yet again. Can’t find it for certain on any replays. Leading from the get go.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reckon he was told mid year that he could lose his spot if he didn’t improve his forward pressure.
No doubt, he would have been spoken to about efforts. and he was named on the interchange bench a few times. But a little outside needle doesn't hurt with motivation.

We have just recruited Dunstan to add more competition for midfield spots, and to make the next tier of our young players work harder for attention.

Who is Frittas competition, for his spot in the side.?

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Having the ball in our hands as the siren went was absolutely amazing. Watching the rest of the team hugging in a pile off to the side while TMac running up like slotting the goal would have won us the cup was a fantastic moment to have too.

Back