Universal Love Overlooked/unheralded moments from the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess it’s probably gotten a fair bit of media, but I’m not sure where else to put it. Max Gawn when he basically told Goodwin to keep Jackson in the ruck reeked of leadership, self-awareness and selflessness. It basically turned the game.

Having read The Red Fox a lot it really speaks to the ethos of Norm Smith. While he was undoubtedly our greatest coach, he was also arguably our greatest player due to his selfless team play. He could’ve over a thousand goals in his career but would always pass to the player in a better position and often would play a decoy role to confuse the * out of star fullbacks by leading them on fruitless jaunts to the dead wing, out of the play.

It was a fitting way for the curse to be lifted.

I guess it’s probably gotten a fair bit of media, but I’m not sure where else to put it. Max Gawn when he basically told Goodwin to keep Jackson in the ruck reeked of leadership, self-awareness and selflessness. It basically turned the game.

Having read The Red Fox a lot it really speaks to the ethos of Norm Smith. While he was undoubtedly our greatest coach, he was also arguably our greatest player due to his selfless team play. He could’ve over a thousand goals in his career but would always pass to the player in a better position and often would play a decoy role to confuse the fu** out of star fullbacks by leading them on fruitless jaunts to the dead wing, out of the play.

It was a fitting way for the curse to be lifted.

Saw him say that in the past he wouldn’t have done this because he would want to be “the guy”. Great leadership.

And this is exactly why I advocated last off season on these boards for him to be traded. It was a direct challenge to Max, and I’m glad he took it seriously and rose to the challenge.

Unlike some, I am very much in it for the accolades, so drop a note of thanks here when you have the chance.

Tom McDonald's video thing very much underrated

Saw him say that in the past he wouldn’t have done this because he would want to be “the guy”. Great leadership.

And this is exactly why I advocated last off season on these boards for him to be traded. It was a direct challenge to Max, and I’m glad he took it seriously and rose to the challenge.

Unlike some, I am very much in it for the accolades, so drop a note of thanks here when you have the chance.

You and Sugar Healey should have lunch.

I still don’t know what the Chris Sullivan Line is despite reading the blog for a decade, and at this point I’m too afraid to ask.
Round 6 1992, ANZAC Day v Essendon. We were up by 41 points at three quarter time and Chris Sullivan goaled to put us up by 47 points 5 minutes into the last. The Chris Sullivan Line is 47 points, I’ll let you guess the rest.

Round 6 1992, ANZAC Day v Essendon. We were up by 41 points at three quarter time and Chris Sullivan goaled to put us up by 47 points 5 minutes into the last. The Chris Sullivan Line is 47 points, I’ll let you guess the rest.
Wow, got it's own special mention for that round on the Wikipedia page of the '92 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God why did you bring this up, i was at a local game in the then Diamond Valley league with two Essendon mates, I just left them there and went home, safer for the three of us, that was so embarrassing, I had almost forgotten it, damn you JK

Just watched the replay for the first time since the week after the GF, and picked up a couple of things that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Firstly, the extent to which we targeted Macrae during the match. There were probably half a dozen times where he got tackled or hit hard and took a while to get up. I'm not sure if it was premeditated or not, but he had his second lowest disposal count for the year and went completely missing when it counted, so it probably had an effect. There was even the moment in the last where Petracca nailed him for a HTB and then patted his arse as he trotted off as if to say, "sorry mate". I'd almost feel sorry for him, but then I remember his pulling a Bulldog special in the third when we were getting a run on and the sympathy quickly dissipates.

Secondly, Mitch Hannan's handball in the third. I'm not going to dump needlessly on Mitch, because by all accounts he still has a good relationship with the boys and seems like a decent guy, but that really was a moment. We were 19 points down with 10 minutes to go in the third, and he wins a dubious free about 60 from goal. Bulldogs get the next goal at this stage, and we're in trouble. All he needed to do was kick it long to the pocket, get a stoppage, and watch the screws continue to tighten. Instead, he handballs to nobody, Rivers lays a huge tackle on Macrae, the ball gets cleared, Caleb Daniel prematurely lives out his "THIS IS SPARTA" moment, and the rest is history. Maybe we might have found a way to win anyway, but that was the first true opening I sense we'd been given all quarter. If I was a football historian looking for a turning point in the match, that'd probably be it.

I absolutely love this guy, because it encapsulates more than anything else what I remember feeling at the time. It's a feeling of pure joy, and hope, and love for the team that I'm watching, mixed with a sense of sheer terror at the fact that the team I'm watching is actually inspiring feelings of joy and hope and love in the first place. I remember thinking at that moment, "oh my ******* God, we could actually ******* win this :D:D:devil::cool:" and then immediately thinking "oh my ******* God, we could actually ******* win this :sick::sick:o_O:straining:", just a delirious, exhilarating, terrifying feeling of nausea that I think only Melbourne supporters could possibly understand. I see this guy - half wanting to cry into his jumper with joy and half wanting to vomit over everyone in despair - and thinking, yeah I get it dude. Not even the Germans have a word for this emotion. We hadn't won by then, of course, and there was no way of telling what was about to come, but it was the probably the first time that most of us supporting this club had ever witnessed mere hope crystalise into something tangible. Yes, I was drunk then, and yes I'm a bit drunk now. But that feeling I will never, ever forget.

Last edited:
Couple of months on and I still get feelings of disbelief looking at photos of the team with the cup and celebrations after the game, been such a rough journey for most dees supporters over the years, feels bloody brilliant to be genuinely proud of supporting this club.

edit: Also got to hold the cup last weekend at the sports museum at the G, just amazing, seeing the other dees supporters there was so heartwarming too.

Last edited:
Couple of months on and I still get feelings of disbelief looking at photos of the team with the cup and celebrations after the game, been such a rough journey for most dees supporters over the years, feels bloody brilliant to be genuinely proud of supporting this club.

edit: Also got to hold the cup last weekend at the sports museum at the G, just amazing, seeing the other dees supporters there was so heartwarming too.
Loved seeing the amount of kids that were decked out in Red and Blue waiting to see the cup. It'll be really interesting to see just how much the club can grow in the wake of this premiership, particularly if they can go on to achieve some sustained success.

On the flip side I'm a little jealous that these kids won't have to endure the crap I copped throughout my years at school. Lucky pricks.

On the flip side I'm a little jealous that these kids won't have to endure the crap I copped throughout my years at school. Lucky pricks.

Before this year, everytime I saw a kid decked out in Melbourne gear at the MCG I used to think "poor kid, doesn't know what they're in for". So good that that's changed!

I'm born in '99 and from grade 1 onwards all the way to after High School, Melbourne never made finals once. Boy I copped it

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back