Overrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

My mother is no older now at 60 than she was at 40, and my dad isn't slowing down yet either despite him constantly telling me he's too old for things as if he's auditioning for a role in a buddy cop movie.

My parents are both 70.

They seem the same to me tbh. Am assuming at 80 it's going to be a different story..

My parents are both 70.

They seem the same to me tbh. Am assuming at 80 it's going to be a different story..

People age better. Dad has always been really active in doing things around home and garden, but it's only in the last decade mum has started going to the gym and that.

I think in times gone by people just surrendered to age without actually trying to maintain a sense of youthfulness and vigour. I think human society will discover that people are still well capable of things in to their 70s. Even guys like Clint Eastwood, Sly Stallone, and Schwarzenegger in Hollywood still cracking out action movies. Yeah, not quite as convincing as they were 30 years ago, but if I told you 30 years ago they'd still be going decently, who would have believed it? George Foreman won the heavyweight title at 48.

Unless it's the AFL of course and you retire off Brent Harvey despite him still being one of your best players.

My mother is no older now at 60 than she was at 40, and my dad isn't slowing down yet either despite him constantly telling me he's too old for things as if he's auditioning for a role in a buddy cop movie.
My mother is now 80, looks a hell of a lot different to when she was 40, very active though, still likes to mow the small lawn she has and remarkably takes no medication.

Christmas.

Loved it as a kid, could take it or leave it as an adult. Had one Xmas alone maybe 6 years ago in Perth on the beach and it was great.
I'm kind of the same however I admit I do enjoy Christmas day itself - the family, the lunch, the yarns, the beers, the banter, the backyard cricket, etc. Its the lead up to the day that makes me shudder when I hear the word Christmas - the decorations, the sh*tty songs, the lights, the sales, the emphasis on having to give/receive gifts, the traffic, the business etc. Makes me want to live under my house and not come out for a month.

Christmas is what you make it. It's exciting for kids and for adults with kids, for adults (probably teens too) without kids not so much.

It still bemuses me that we still push Northern Hemisphere and Christian traditions.
Its bemusing that half of the annual retail economy is based around this s**t

Christmas always makes me feel like I’m being pulled in too many different directions and I can’t please anyone. Would love to tell everyone to gagf and go away somewhere just the four of us.
As shell said.

Divorced parents. Travelling around the state over several days to please everyone. So glad my missus has put her foot down and told the family we're not driving over the break. You want to see us, you come here for once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christmas always makes me feel like I’m being pulled in too many different directions and I can’t please anyone. Would love to tell everyone to gagf and go away somewhere just the four of us.

I hated driving around to multiple places at Christmas as a kid. You're 8, you just want to stay home and play with your new Lego. And that was just with a regular (nuclear? traditional? whatever) family visiting both sides. Would be even worse for kids of divorced parents with potential multiple gatherings. One of my friends (now 35 so we're not kids) is married and both he and his wife have divorced parents, 2 or 3 of whom have remarried. So every year now they've got 4 different family gatherings in play. Sounds awful.

Now that I am an adult and get a say in the matter I have a one event limit. Lunch, dinner, whatever I am going to (or hosting) one thing on Christmas Day and that's it.

As shell said.

Divorced parents. Travelling around the state over several days to please everyone. So glad my missus has put her foot down and told the family we're not driving over the break. You want to see us, you come here for once.
Years ago my sister cracked the shits big time because I didn't want to make the trip up to Kambalda to their place for Xmas. In hindsight I think I really should have gone and usually we do get along pretty well. But in general all year round I've always been the one far more likely to bother keeping in contact with her, checking on how they are going even remembering birthdays. Why the **** do people seem to think just because it's Christmas family is suddenly 100 times more important for a couple of days and then forget about it for the rest?

Christmas is a mine field.

Some people feel they are entitled to host it always and are put out if anyone suggests otherwise, others are put out if they are relegated to another day/night, some get the shits if it's rotating hosting and then someone happens to be away that year. Etc.

Just give me a quiet spot and some tins and I'm happy.

I fricken hate it. Compelled to spend time with people I have nothing in common with and never see outside of "the day". Spend the whole day on guard in case I let some tidbit of information slip that my mother can use to extract an advantage. Plus I get put on tech support. Many a Xmas day I spent the whole time dealing with other people's tech s**t whilst they sat on the couch drinking.

Best Christmas day I had recently was sitting on a beach somewhere in the Bay of Fires. The whole place was deserted. I had a turkey and camembert on rye sandwich and a couple of tins for lunch. So I decided I wasn't gonna do it anymore. Used a bunch of excuses, travel, illness, etc. Told them outright last year that I'm not going because it's stupid and I hate it. This year they want to come to me. 🤦‍♂️

I sense a Northern hemisphere white Christmas next year.

Last edited:
Years ago my sister cracked the shits big time because I didn't want to make the trip up to Kambalda to their place for Xmas. In hindsight I think I really should have gone and usually we do get along pretty well. But in general all year round I've always been the one far more likely to bother keeping in contact with her, checking on how they are going even remembering birthdays. Why the **** do people seem to think just because it's Christmas family is suddenly 100 times more important for a couple of days and then forget about it for the rest?

Was the shitter full?

Srsly tho, great point. Fantastic point- i am going to make a real effort to see one cousin more often (we've already agreed to go horse riding together after xmas)- and the other lot of cousins i see more anyway. One of them had a srs health scare recently (had 3 hour surgery the other day) and i think he has come to realise its important to see other each more often. And we have- we've gone from once a year at xmas to at least half a dozen visits/catch ups per year.

Best Christmas day I had recently was sitting on a beach somewhere in the Bay of Fires. The whole place was deserted. I had a turkey and camembert on rye sandwich and a couple of tins for lunch. So I decided I wasn't gonna do it anymore. Used a bunch of excuses, travel, illness, etc. Told them outright last year that I'm not going because it's stupid and I hate it. This year they want to come to me. 🤦‍♂️

I sense a Northern hemisphere white Christmas next year.

I spent one xmas on my own- down Apollo Bay. It was awful, lonely and i drove home at 6am on Boxing Day.

I spent one xmas on my own- down Apollo Bay. It was awful, lonely and i drove home at 6am on Boxing Day.

Yeah, we're all different cats. I long made peace with how I roll and understand what I enjoy is literally cruel and unusual for some others. I have legitimately never been "lonely". And yeah, I know that puts me on some sort of spectrum. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back