Society/Culture Overseas Students in Australia ~ Now 600,000+

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Latest stats have overseas student numbers at record highs, coming in at just over 600,000

It is turning into a backdoor entry to Australia to work illegally (or legally at 20 hours per week - unlimited outside school term)
The road to PR is made easier for students studying certain subjects. Post grads (in certain fields) gain 2 year temporary PR visa after completion of their degree to try and find a job . Degrees are being promoted as a pathway to PR.
Taking away the top 8 Unis, educational standards have to be dropping at the smaller Unis. In a few more years employers will be avoiding graduates form some institutions, while if you are a domestic student, you will be avoiding enrolling at that Uni too.
Some of our Top 8 universities are at around 40% overseas enrolments now

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2019/05/international-student-visa-numbers-skyrocket/

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2018/12/domestic-uni-students-crowded-foreign-students/

Student1a.jpg

Student4.png

Students 1.jpg

student3.gif

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The daughter is studying at University of Canberra and says it's bad enough there, but reckons ANU is like little Beijing.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Latest stats have overseas student numbers at record highs, coming in at just over 600,000

It is turning into a backdoor entry to Australia to work illegally (or legally at 20 hours per week - unlimited outside school term)
The road to PR is made easier for students studying certain subjects. Post grads (in certain fields) gain 2 year temporary PR visa after completion of their degree to try and find a job . Degrees are being promoted as a pathway to PR.
Taking away the top 8 Unis, educational standards have to be dropping at the smaller Unis. In a few more years employers will be avoiding graduates form some institutions, while if you are a domestic student, you will be avoiding enrolling at that Uni too.
Some of our Top 8 universities are at around 40% overseas enrolments now

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2019/05/international-student-visa-numbers-skyrocket/

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2018/12/domestic-uni-students-crowded-foreign-students/

View attachment 683030

View attachment 683034

View attachment 683031

View attachment 683032
Those Universities must be really raking in the big bucks.
Can't blame them for that.

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
An ultimate consequence of the government's funding cuts. I hope they are happy with the cash cows that universities are now tapping into like foreign students and meaningless courses.

It's our third biggest industry, and our largest value-add industry.
(That's before the additional benefits of spending are included)

We simply have to do more than just dig.

Undoubtedly. However I don't think education should be a backdoor gateway for getting permanent residency.
No, but that's a separate issue to simply stating "there are X number of foreign students in Australia".

Foreign students keep the tertiary education sector afloat. They were paying 4x the fees Australians paid when I was last at uni.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No, but that's a separate issue to simply stating "there are X number of foreign students in Australia".

Foreign students keep the tertiary education sector afloat. They were paying 4x the fees Australians paid when I was last at uni.
We could have 10m foreign students and I wouldn't be fazed, but as the OP states, degrees are being promoted as gateways to PR.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

The universities love the dollars that the overseas students bring so much that it affects their protocols - such as turning a blind eye to non attendance, lowering of academic standards and accepting students on postgrads who have poor English language skills. Some students barely turn up for class as they are driving cabs, riding Deliveroo or working in kitchens and hope to stay after their student visa expires. Other students are keen to get their degree as it is a pathway to permanent residency and citizenship.

Federal and state governments don't care because high immigration boosts GDP. GDP per person, which is a truer indicator of whether we are getting better off, remains flatline.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
These numbers have to be placed into context.

1. What are they studying?
2. How many Australian students are there?

There is a lot of data missing

I posted the total overseas student number for the top 8 Unis in the opening post.

That doesn't take into consideration whether they are undergraduate or post grad and we don't have figures for smaller Universities of the totals.

I didn't see a breakdown for other avenues of study such as learning English or Child care or how to be a surf instructor.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
The universities love the dollars that the overseas students bring so much that it affects their protocols - such as turning a blind eye to non attendance, lowering of academic standards and accepting students on postgrads who have poor English language skills. Some students barely turn up for class as they are driving cabs, riding Deliveroo or working in kitchens and hope to stay after their student visa expires. Other students are keen to get their degree as it is a pathway to permanent residency and citizenship.

Federal and state governments don't care because high immigration boosts GDP. GDP per person, which is a truer indicator of whether we are getting better off, remains flatline.

Exactly. Half a million students coming looking for work, a lot of which is cash or deliberately underpaid with an addition of working more than the allowable hours.

You can add a lot are coming just for the chance to get PR via their studies, especially in the post grad area

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

I posted the total overseas student number for the top 8 Unis in the opening post.

That doesn't take into consideration whether they are undergraduate or post grad and we don't have figures for smaller Universities of the totals.

I didn't see a breakdown for other avenues of study such as learning English or Child care or how to be a surf instructor.
We're a multi-cultural society, these students bring in foreign capital that helps drive GDP and create jobs.It's a cornerstone of Liberal party policy.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

There's a very long list of skilled occupations that qualify for PR after a degree, including chef and hairdresser. It would be hard to find a degree that didn't qualify you for permanent residency.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
But you're saying there's too many?

The numbers should be looked at in conjunction with the academic outcomes and quality of education being achieved.
The numbers are a concern depending on the motivation of those coming and the outcome of those who are studying here
Also add in the effects on local wages and local employment, from students looking for under the table work to graduates flooding the job market in certain sectors.
Australian institutions can risk its academic reputation by churning out graduates who don't know their field and are passed through simply because they pay a s**t load of cash

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
We're a multi-cultural society, these students bring in foreign capital that helps drive GDP and create jobs.It's a cornerstone of Liberal party policy.

Let's unbundle this.

We are an English speaking Western society with many ethnic influences.

The universities love the dollars that overseas students bring in, and compromise their standards to accommodate them.

Governments of all flavours love the the foreign capital and immigration that helps drive GDP. However, Australians get no benefit from increases in GDP when GDP per person, which is an indication of whether we are better off, is zero.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

That’s it. If they’re getting a highly skilled degree, working in that industry in Australia, or going back home and having their skills highly regarded, then this a good long term thing that will prove beneficial over decades.

If it’s just a way to get dodgy pieces of paper that allow people to reside in the country, then it’s simply no better than a subprime mortgage scam, and bound to blow up in our faces.

We could be destroying our education system just to get a short term economic boost. It would not surprise me if that was the situation.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
The numbers should be looked at in conjunction with the academic outcomes and quality of education being achieved.
The numbers are a concern depending on the motivation of those coming and the outcome of those who are studying here
Also add in the effects on local wages and local employment, from students looking for under the table work to graduates flooding the job market in certain sectors.
Australian institutions can risk its academic reputation by churning out graduates who don't know their field and are passed through simply because they pay a **** load of cash
Fair enough ,a lot do work in crap jobs in like 7/11s, cleaning and ager care.A lot of Nepalese train and work in aged care , most Australians won't do that sort of work. The shonkys should get closed though I agree .

Back