Owning a horse

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Not seriously considering it right now or anything like that, but every Spring Carnival I do have a think about buying into a syndicate one day. Obviously not going into it expecting to end up with a group one horse or even turning a profit, but I can see why people do do it.

Anyone on here ever done it before?

Stories?

Yes have a syndicate with a bunch of mates. The closest we have got to a city win is 2nd in a Canterbury Friday night Maiden :$

its a huge money sink obviously so you are just doing it for fun and to turn up to a nice country track with owners privileges every now and then

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
it is about the company you keep unless winning races.

good group generally trumps a winning horse, if it's both all the better. Not as much of a money sink as you would think although syndicators can be there own worst enemy there. they decrease share sizes to decrease costs and easier to get in to a good horse but have a huge markup for profitability reasons their side.

good group generally trumps a winning horse, if it's both all the better. Not as much of a money sink as you would think although syndicators can be there own worst enemy there. they decrease share sizes to decrease costs and easier to get in to a good horse but have a huge markup for profitability reasons their side.

Fair - we have one that would pay its way in terms of fees by running placings in deep west NSW if we didn't keep smashing it for the win every time it went around.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fair - we have one that would pay its way in terms of fees by running placings in deep west NSW if we didn't keep smashing it for the win every time it went around.

yeah luckily i have some sort of self control and i don't bet on my own unless i would if they weren't.

in terms of costs i think the MM sale in WA returns 105% sale price on average over their careers. so costs are the ongoing ones and on average you get back what you paid to start.

Mar 19, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Agreed. Some syndicators are total gougers, putting 70+ per cent mark-ups on purchases. Bonkers.

Best to get 10 mates together and each put in five large and go to a mid-size trainer you like and say you have 50k to put into a horse and end up with 20-33 per cent of a decently bred yearling.

Fabab

Premiership Player
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
A mate and myself bought 10% of a cheapy,used to go watch it barrier trial at lark hill.
One trial I’m standing on the viewing platform next to Fred Kersley,our nag fought the jockey all the way to the start ,it jumped and was three wide all the way but won the 950m trial.
I’m on phone ringing everyone telling them our horse is gonna be decent,race one Northam run near last but there’s excuses apparently,race 2 Belmont on a Wednesday sat one out one back came into the straight and had no guts ran 3rd last, run 3 pinjarra Wednesday same run as race 2.

Trainer suggests sending it up to Broome to reschool it.We had to stump up to send it up there.
Ran up there and was no good again,one bloke in syndicate still adamant the nag was gonna come good so he said he was happy to continue to fund it if the rest of us pulled out.
Never heard of it again,was good fun going to trials and race days on the punt and bevy,we were in it for about 3 years.

Fabab

Premiership Player
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
A mate and myself bought 10% of a cheapy,used to go watch it barrier trial at lark hill.
One trial I’m standing on the viewing platform next to Fred Kersley,our nag fought the jockey all the way to the start ,it jumped and was three wide all the way but won the 950m trial.
I’m on phone ringing everyone telling them our horse is gonna be decent,race one Northam run near last but there’s excuses apparently,race 2 Belmont on a Wednesday sat one out one back came into the straight and had no guts ran 3rd last, run 3 pinjarra Wednesday same run as race 2.

Trainer suggests sending it up to Broome to reschool it.We had to stump up to send it up there.
Ran up there and was no good again,one bloke in syndicate still adamant the nag was gonna come good so he said he was happy to continue to fund it if the rest of us pulled out.
Never heard of it again,was good fun going to trials and race days on the punt and bevy,we were in it for about 3 years.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agreed. Some syndicators are total gougers, putting 70+ per cent mark-ups on purchases. Bonkers.

Best to get 10 mates together and each put in five large and go to a mid-size trainer you like and say you have 50k to put into a horse and end up with 20-33 per cent of a decently bred yearling.

syndicators have their spot and their markup is expected, they try make a buisness of it so good luck to them.

they're robbing peter to pay paul to some extent. they're there to make it affordable and easy with small 0.2% shares where as any mark up including on on-going fees goes against that. while also they're the ones taking the risk.

i'd suggest them to people that just want to be in a horse without sacrificing money want to hide it from the misses or have not enough people in their own syndicate to get enough of a share with a trainer.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Got to treat it as an expense, just like mortgage, rates, groceries etc you don't expect to get anything back from those expenses.

come on oliver

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The old man has been buying in for the best part of 30 years. Had some fun. A few handy money spinners. Currently having a bad run and paying up bills as they spell. Expect to be doing a fair bit of that.
He loves it and does get attached to them. Has met some pretty great people through this.
Ask around. Plenty of trainers around that will look after you and your horse

Viva la Mattner

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
Any of you guys seem that Kingstar club syndicate advertised?
Seems affordable but likely a money pit due to way of paying out any owners winnings

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Did I say there was?

Buy my Ford EB for 5k instead. It's not a horse it's a stallion and it sure beats throwing the money in a bin. Same goes for the EB.

Obviously I'm failing to understand the desire for it. If you want one to ride around just buy one off gumtree. If you want to gamble there are better ways to make money. It makes just about as much sense as putting a 347 stroker in my EB.

Last edited:
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
A family member bought into one that a trainer bought from Godolphin at a tried sale.

The trainer paid $15k for it.

Bred to stay and Godolphin pulled the pin after its maiden win never having really got out to a trip. It was sound and ready to run straight away.

Had pretty reasonable city form considering the price tag. It was always going to win country benchmark 64/68/70 races.

Godolphin couldn't care about that so just let it go. Think he won about $100k in prize money after they bought it so after country trainer fees they probably ended up square or a little ahead.

You are never going to get a champion like that but if you want to have some fun with a few mates that is what I'd look to do. Don't have to pay bills for two years before it runs.

Guess you just have to be careful the horse you buy hasn't already hit its mark. I watch races on a Sunday and horses that Weir has for sale win quite regularly. To me if you were buying those horses you'd be paying $x - the prize money they just won.

Not seriously considering it right now or anything like that, but every Spring Carnival I do have a think about buying into a syndicate one day. Obviously not going into it expecting to end up with a group one horse or even turning a profit, but I can see why people do do it.

Anyone on here ever done it before?

Stories?
I have been in a couple of syndicates - one with David Moody Contract Racing which was very successful (Blue Diamond, just luck) but very expensive and another with Shelly Hancox, Hancox Bloodstock (won the greys race on Oaks day in 2000).

Of the two I would go with Hancox, she buys well and not too expensive and I found her very honest.

I part owned a horse in the early 90s and was trained by Vasil and Robbie Griffiths was the jockey. Anyway she won her trial and got reviewed in the Truth as the Trackwatchers special.

First race was at a Seymour maiden over 1200m and lo and behold it opened at 2-1. They jump and she settles last and around the turn she makes her move but only makes late ground to finish 5th. Griffiths told us she needs longer so she was entered 2 weeks later in a 1400 meter race at Ballarat. Short odds again and again she settled last and flashed home for another 5th. Again Griffiths told us she needs a mile so you guessed it we entered into 1600 metre maiden at Sale.

Well after another fast finishing 5th, Griffiths got of the horse, walked over and said " It's s**t".

True story.

Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve got small shares in a few with different trainers in WA, Victoria and Tassie. It’s not something you should get into with an expectation of making money, but if you play it smart you can increase your chance of success or at least limit your losses.

Be very wary of syndicators, most apply enormous mark-ups and charge all sorts of fees. Read the PDS very carefully if going down that path.

I think you’re best off getting in through a reputable trainer. They buy stock at the yearling sales and then seek to offload shares. By approaching them directly you cut out the middle man.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
don't buy through a syndicator.

trainers sell 2.5% pieces all the time and you can get the named owner privileges on a race day.

my first horse was a roarer after its 2yo season so i'm waiting to buy a small piece of another.

had mine with trent busuttin and they've been pretty good i think. bit more personal with the updates than the big city trainers and the syndicators.

just annoying their horses are always so short in the markets.

Viva la Mattner

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
Early - mid 90's my parents had shares in 2 horses.
Both trained by Hayes.

One was a dud, called Elegant Tinge.
But the other was excellent winning the Murray Bridge cup, other Metro wins and it even got a start in the 1992 Melbourne Cup! It's name was Brave Expectations, my old man always told me they wanted to scratch it from the Cup due to the deluge and heavy track, but the VRC wouldn't have it, as 3 were already scratched. Hayes was pissed

Brave wasn't the same after that, pulled up lame and never reached his peak again

Back