Owning a horse

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would you invest in a filly/mare by Rubick? 2.5% or 5% share. Cost of horse is $200,000. Half sister to Yes Yes Yes.

when you say half to yes yes yes, do you mean they're both by rubick and that's where their similarities end? if mare is in anyway related to yes yes yes then it should by rights be more than half.

as for rubick himself his blood will carry him further than his racing career and i have also thought about getting one and made my top 5 last year but would want to have a bit of size/scope and crossed with the right mare.

BuddysBiggestFan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
when you say half to yes yes yes, do you mean they're both by rubick and that's where their similarities end? if mare is in anyway related to yes yes yes then it should by rights be more than half.

as for rubick himself his blood will carry him further than his racing career and i have also thought about getting one and made my top 5 last year but would want to have a bit of size/scope and crossed with the right mare.
Darren as in Weir in this letter.

C892BBAD-4B8A-4D38-B686-7F5F099C3F73.jpeg
627D2392-E901-4B87-A04B-7C61F6275D81.jpeg

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
depends - how did you hear about it?

if they're shopping it to you and you're not a big owner i'd consider passing.

if you've been recommended to get into by a breeder or a vet or someone you know who was at the sale, then seems ok.

other reasons to get in are if you have a decent group of mates already in - fun to own a horse with other people you know rather than randoms.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
We have put together a very small syndicate (5%) at work just before Christmas in one with Hayes.

The total outlay for each person in the syndicate was less than $1k

We qualify for the owners gold card which is also appealing.

My expectations are low. Id be happy with a couple of days out at the races with colleagues, having a few jars, and hope the thing runs a drum.

BuddysBiggestFan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
depends - how did you hear about it?

if they're shopping it to you and you're not a big owner i'd consider passing.

if you've been recommended to get into by a breeder or a vet or someone you know who was at the sale, then seems ok.

other reasons to get in are if you have a decent group of mates already in - fun to own a horse with other people you know rather than randoms.
One of the guys at work owns 10% of Yes Yes Yes and has bought into this one as well.

Yes Yes Yes is a colt though and can go to stud, bit more riskier with a mare. Will race it’s whole life so you’re hoping it makes a bit of coin. How much do broodmares make?

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
One of the guys at work owns 10% of Yes Yes Yes and has bought into this one as well.

Yes Yes Yes is a colt though and can go to stud, bit more riskier with a mare. Will race it’s whole life so you’re hoping it makes a bit of coin. How much do broodmares make?
Chances of getting a horse that ends up being a decent sire is minute. Yes Yes Yes might be an exception to the rule and make money at stud given he has started his career off ok. He still has a long way to gol
A mare has a better chance of making money but if you are just in it for some fun and the mare ends up decent they generally get sold at the end of their career as a broodmare.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To me she’d have reasonable residual broodmare value. Pure pedigree people would be fapping over the background although ultimately decided by how it goes on the track.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
Only get into horse ownership if you have a reasonably large group of friends/social people going into it too, and you're only buying into a few hairs in the mane.

Jammer

All Australian
Jun 26, 2007
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’ve had a few and am still chasing the dream of a city winner.

I Sell it to myself by saying it’s fair less expensive than running off with some totally inappropriate 20 something year old stunner.
It is a good way to catch up with mates
As you get older too.

My advice. Do your research or ask for recommendations on quality smaller trainers.
( Wes Hunter is one I’ll be seriously looking at for next horse )

I have found unless you have a jet you
Are understandably well down the pecking order of attention for the 100 plus stables.

Another mistake that I made was buying larger % in cheap horses worth around 30k
The ongoing training expenses are not much different to if you owned a city grade nag.
If you are at a stage of life and can afford it spend the money on the buy in
10k for 10% share of a well bred 100k
horse.
My mistake was taking 33% of 30k horses.... which cost my far more in training fees in the long run

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
I've owned a few. Most have won a race. A few have won multiple races.

Been lucky enough to own a couple of city winners.

Currently have a couple of jumpers with Amy McDonald and we won the SA Grand National Steeple last year wiith Felix Bay. That was a day and aa half!!

Started with syndicated horses, but once I got the hang of it, went straight to trainers and that's how I roll now. Mainly look at the sales, se ]e who has bought reasonably priced horses that I'd marked in the catalogue. Approach and take a small share.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Early - mid 90's my parents had shares in 2 horses.
Both trained by Hayes.

One was a dud, called Elegant Tinge.
But the other was excellent winning the Murray Bridge cup, other Metro wins and it even got a start in the 1992 Melbourne Cup! It's name was Brave Expectations, my old man always told me they wanted to scratch it from the Cup due to the deluge and heavy track, but the VRC wouldn't have it, as 3 were already scratched. Hayes was pissed

Brave wasn't the same after that, pulled up lame and never reached his peak again
That’s interesting.
Actually the VRC don’t do the scratching aspect, that’s the strict domain of stewards.
Your horse could have been scratched with the down grade of track that occurred during that day.
So I’m not sure how it was not allowed?

Three horses were scratched from the race pre race start.
Cross Swords. The Sydney Cup winner, My Eagle Eye and the 1991 Melbourne Cup winner Lets Elope.
I remember very clearly during the day the late scratching of My Eagle Eye and Let’s Elope.
I just don’t recall if Cross Swords was with that two or was a scratching before that.

I’m sorry but your horse being about 125/1 why it would be not allowed to be scratched?
Surely, Let’s Elope would be of significance if powers to be wanted to push back on late scratchings.
Someone might not have told you the full details.

As a rule David Hayes loves to chance his horses if they get starts in big races. They can’t win at home in the stable. Example, Boom Time in the Caulfield Cup.

The thrill of a cup runner would be a wonderful experience in my view.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Better to spend that kind of money on a nicely bred greyhound pup. More chance of success and getting some money back.

Also easier to feel part of the action.

And far harder for trainers to pull dodgy s**t on you.

Back