Preview P.F. vs. GWS (Sat 21/09 4:35pm MCG) In: Reid/Aish, Out: JDG/Levi. Teams #1523

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be a great idea and allows Crisp and Howe to play their more natural and dangerous roles.

Noble to Rioli
Maynard to Martin
Moore to Riewoldt
Rough to Lynch

I watched Maynard closely Friday night, any chance he got he would run off Ablett simular plan would to be expose Martins 2 way running.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
From the Oxford Dictionary 'a person who takes part in a sport or other activity for enjoyment, not as a job'... Which in the context of my post also includes ex Olympians..
Oxford dictionary eh?

Pedal a bit harder mate and watch your mirrors backing up.

Mine is a sporting family with both father and mother involved in teaching/coaching roles at the state levels so you don't overawe me one bit.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Noble to Rioli
Maynard to Martin
Moore to Riewoldt
Rough to Lynch

I watched Maynard closely Friday night, any chance he got he would run off Ablett simular plan would to be expose Martins 2 way running.
Good point. The more I think about it the more I like it.

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eagles - Nik Nat - provoked my arse!

He has a track record - and deliberately pushed a player head first towards the fence.

The AFL interfered with a tribunal decision to ensure he would be playing.

THEY also have a track record - years back with Paul Williams having a mandatory 1 week suspension for abusing an umpire downgraded because he was front runner in the Brownlow for their then pet Sydney Swans expansion franchise.

The AFL are blatantly interfering in their own rules when it appears likely to cost their precious expansion clubs a chance at a flag and I'm sick of it.
The best I can remember is Dunkley for Sydney. He was cited for striking in the Prelim but the hearing ended up taking place after the Grand Final where he was found guilty and suspended.

Couldn't claim this as interference by the AFL though. The Swans went to the Supreme Court to delay the hearing.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
The best I can remember is Dunkley for Sydney. He was cited for striking in the Prelim but the hearing ended up taking place after the Grand Final where he was found guilty and suspended.

Couldn't claim this as interference by the AFL though. The Swans went to the Supreme Court to delay the hearing.
Yes but I fail to remember any reports of the AFL filing an injunction on the grounds of interfering.

Also would not put it past them to prime Sydney to go to the supreme court - let's face it mate when it comes to success for the expansion teams the AFL are completely blind to any of the consequences of their actions or inaction.

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eagles - Nik Nat - provoked my arse!

He has a track record - and deliberately pushed a player head first towards the fence.

The AFL interfered with a tribunal decision to ensure he would be playing.

THEY also have a track record - years back with Paul Williams having a mandatory 1 week suspension for abusing an umpire downgraded because he was front runner in the Brownlow for their then pet Sydney Swans expansion franchise.

The AFL are blatantly interfering in their own rules when it appears likely to cost their precious expansion clubs a chance at a flag and I'm sick of it.
I don't have an issue with the Nic Nat one. Merrett had a go at him, he shoved him away, play on. Toby Greene should be banned for life.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't have an issue with the Nic Nat one. Merrett had a go at him, he shoved him away, play on. Toby Greene should be banned for life.
There we differ it's not about provocation which he certainly was but about sheer recklessness - Kit Kat both knew where they were standing and where Merrett was facing.

If it had been a core club player in Nik Nat's shoes he would have been smashed with at least 3 weeks ban.

It's all about protecting the chances of expansion club players - and they are well aware of this.

cliffdrabble

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Newsflash. None of us are selectors, we're just shooting our opinion.

Wells looked slow and unfit before the Sydney game and look at the half he produced. Don't just dismiss others because you might not agree with it.
Look at the half he produced? What about the other half? It very nearly cost us the game. We will be playing a lot better side than Sydney in the weeks ahead as well.
Playin Wells would be like trying to bank on a miracle.

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Look at the half he produced? What about the other half? It very nearly cost us the game. We will be playing a lot better side than Sydney in the weeks ahead as well.
Playin Wells would be like trying to bank on a miracle.
Not commenting on whether we should play him or not, but Wells going off at half time in that game was hardly due to his injury history

cliffdrabble

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not commenting on whether we should play him or not, but Wells going off at half time in that game was hardly due to his injury history
Maybe not, but he is always injured it seems. We only wanted him for 15 games a year. How many has he played? The risk is way too much.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
But... boy if we make the GF v Richmond... Maynard v Martin would be tantalising. Can see Maynard provoking him and Martin getting fiery. A battle for the ages, two bulls

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still got to win this week before talking about Richmond. Hope the side are focusing on the prelim rather than thinking of a GF at this stage.
That was funny post QF on FOX Footy talking with Jayden and he said he 'Hoped they could get De Goey right for the Granny'. There's some belief/freudian slip right there.

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is the issue; for the AFL a hand strike is more dangerous than slam dunking a player into the fence. Ridiculous
I see you and raise you a 7.5k fine issued to The Karate Kid when the act was worse than the other three, his history so far and admitting guilt as his plea. What a joke.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
That was funny post QF on FOX Footy talking with Jayden and he said he 'Hoped they could get De Goey right for the Granny'. There's some belief/freudian slip right there.

In my opinion they should be expecting to make the Grand Final.

They earned their way into a break and a Prelim (better than last year) and go into this final series in better shape than last year.

They should be hell bent on redemption

Last edited:

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
The whole debate with Brown, Varcoe and/or Wells is that it if could choose a player to have :
12 disposals
2 tackles

Most/all posters would probably choose Wells to be that player.

Of course, but it's a pretty shallow argument. Too much emphasis on what each player does with the ball, nowhere near enough of what their direct opponent/s manage to do.
Pressure and intensity goes up massively in finals, I can't stand the thought of Wellsy dragging his feet on the wing 10m behind his direct opponent. He's nowhere near fit enough.

Need to stop understating the value of pressure applied by blokes like Brown and Varcoe, that's the point of difference in comparing those three.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maynard is the killer atm I would have him go to Martin.

I like the idea but I think he may be needed to mind 1 of their small forwards. He's better suited to that role than Howe.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Of course, but it's a pretty shallow argument. Too much emphasis on what each player does with the ball, nowhere near enough of what their direct opponent/s manage to do.
Pressure and intensity goes up massively in finals, I can't stand the thought of Wellsy dragging his feet on the wing 10m behind his direct opponent. He's nowhere near fit enough.

Need to stop understating the value of pressure applied by blokes like Brown and Varcoe, that's the point of difference in comparing those three.

I'm not sure that's so much about fitness. Thomas, Treloar, and Phillips are all prone to it and that's more about application. Sidey another but his reading of the play minimises the times he's actually caught in those scenarios. I'd put Wells in the same boat as Sidey. Whether he's fit enough to run out a full game is still a big question though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back