Roast P*ss weak AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

What, you go to Saturday junior soccer and then AFL junior games and think there is no change? My son brought up 100% AFL but so many turning to soccer. Whats funny?

I don't think there is nothing funny about this.

This is the time in 2005 the A-league became a threat to the AFL grass roots talent and took the World Game into every media outlet, playing Italy in the last 16 in 2006 to lose by a dubious penalty was the pinnacle moment of Australian Soccer to then try and raise the bar even further the FFA tried to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup losing out to a country that has shifting sands Hands. And now we have record attendances in the A-League in 2016. the shift has been coming for a while.

Lol as if the A-League would ever introduce a team with history. They'd be more likely to create the North Adelaide Triumphs out of thin air, plonk 11 random soccer players from around the country in their focus group designed guernsey, and start selling memberships.

That whole competition is a league full of Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants, and you wonder why nobody cares.

I wouldn't support the North Adelaide Triumphs if the introduced it, just as I do follow Adelaide United. I would beg to differ that the A-League will introduce a team with history as the teams who compete in the FFA all have history older than any club play at present. Adelaide City being the front runner, introducing Adelaide City is the logical choice to re-intoduce/welcome back Adelaide City.

I believe that a division system is the best format for this, not introducing. However, this goes against Western Sydney, but they had the soccer community screaming for an A-league in Parramatta.

As for Watson, just play another year like you did that won you that Brownlow you handed back to get it back next year.

Nah word on the street is that the SA2 licence is between the Kent Town Campaigners and the Hahndorf Schutzstaffel.
Nah, they put the proposed names to focus groups and the feedback was that "Hahndorf Schutzstaffel" is unacceptable to certain sections of the community so the team is to be the "Ambleside Schutzstaffel"

Nah, they put the proposed names to focus groups and the feedback was that "Hahndorf Schutzstaffel" is unacceptable to certain sections of the community so the team is to be the "Ambleside Schutzstaffel"

Only for some smartypants to load their copy of Encarta 96 and discover who the Schutzstaffel were, so the name then had to be changed again to the "Ambleside Anglophiles" and yes ironically their kit is completely white anyway.

I wouldn't have got this one except that I was hosting a meeting with interstate delegates in Hahndorf last month and thought I would open with a few facts on the history of the area. Extraordinary.

Only for some smartypants to load their copy of Encarta 96 and discover who the Schutzstaffel were, so the name then had to be changed again to the "Ambleside Anglophiles" and yes ironically their kit is completely white anyway.
thatsthejoke.jpg :)

I wouldn't have got this one except that I was hosting a meeting with interstate delegates in Hahndorf last month and thought I would open with a few facts on the history of the area. Extraordinary.
Well now you know at least one of the towns I was referring to in this post. :)

That whole competition is a league full of Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants, and you wonder why nobody cares.

And yet Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne Victory have been outrageously successful in capturing the hearts and minds of their markets in a very short space of time.

I don't think the franchise system is the problem with the A-League. The biggest problems are lack of quality on the pitch (real and perceived) and lack of free to air television coverage.

Massive rivalry with the Balhannah Brownshirts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see News, Limited have done a 'phantom' revised 2012 Brownlow count, recasting votes awarded to any drug banned Essendon players and the Herald Sun experts reckon that Trent Cotchin's BOG against Port in that drawn R23 game was enough to make him the outright winner over Sam Mitchell and Scott Thompson by two votes.

Luckily it's not the Herald Sun's call (I think).

The AFL should wait until 7 February (4th anniversary of 'The Blackest Day in Australian Sport'), chop Watson's medal in two, and give half each to Cotchin and Mitchell.

They don't withdraw votes from players that have been suspended by the tribunal so there's no basis to do it with the drug suspensions.
Yes there is. Remember this was a ruling by CAS not the dills on the MRP or tribunal. Under rulings CAS make for individuals they have wiped them from the record books and other people have been bumped up the finishing order to reflect those individuals wiped from the record.

I have written about this in the drugs in sport thread and quoted the relevant clauses of the 2009 WADA code and 2010 AFL anti doping code, where Wada code says the ruling body SHALL impose appropriate sanctions on the team and the AFL code says the Club MAY be subject to sanctions to be determined in the absolute discretion by the Commission.

If the AFL is consistent with what happens to individual sportsmen and sportswomen then all records involving Essendon would be wiped from the records books including all brownlow votes. The AFL could bump 2 and 1 votes to become 3 and 2 votes but 4th, 5th, 6th place isn't recorded so there are going to be gaps.

Apart from voiding the 2012 medal, the two options that have been put forward are :
1. Award medals to the second place getters, Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin or
2. Re-award the votes in the games involving Essendon

The latter seems very complicated but fortunately isn't as the players who were within reach of the medal were awarded the votes for those games, and in some cases Essendon players received no votes for those games at all. There was not one case where someone who had polled at least 23 votes would have got any more votes by Essendon's votes being re-awarded. I only had to check to this figure as the next highest vote-getter was Josh Kennedy on 19.
The only situation I can find that may affect who gets the medal is where Richmond played Essendon in Round 8. Brett Deledio got the 3 votes, Brett Stanton the 2 and Jobe Watson the 1. Looking at some of the stats you could maybe think Trent Cotchin was 4th or 5th best on ground but that would be a ridiculous way to award a medal, expecting an umpire to remember how someone played over 4 years ago.

I find myself agreeing with the journos who are saying the medal should just be voided for that year.

Yes there is. Remember this was a ruling by CAS not the dills on the MRP or tribunal. Under rulings CAS make for individuals they have wiped them from the record books and other people have been bumped up the finishing order to reflect those individuals wiped from the record.

I have written about this in the drugs in sport thread and quoted the relevant clauses of the 2009 WADA code and 2010 AFL anti doping code, where Wada code says the ruling body SHALL impose appropriate sanctions on the team and the AFL code says the Club MAY be subject to sanctions to be determined in the absolute discretion by the Commission.

If the AFL is consistent with what happens to individual sportsmen and sportswomen then all records involving Essendon would be wiped from the records books including all brownlow votes. The AFL could bump 2 and 1 votes to become 3 and 2 votes but 4th, 5th, 6th place isn't recorded so there are going to be gaps.

Sure this works for sports like athletics and cycling where we know who finished 4th and beyond but we're talking about a medal awarded over the course of a season where there isn't a 4th, 5th or 6th place finish recorded. The established method is that suspended players are deemed ineligible. There's no basis for the CAS method with the Brownlow votes because nothing like it has ever been done in the AFL and it's not practical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back