Roast P*ss weak AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from voiding the 2012 medal, the two options that have been put forward are :
1. Award medals to the second place getters, Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin or
2. Re-award the votes in the games involving Essendon

The latter seems very complicated but fortunately isn't as the players who were within reach of the medal were awarded the votes for those games, and in some cases Essendon players received no votes for those games at all. There was not one case where someone who had polled at least 23 votes would have got any more votes by Essendon's votes being re-awarded. I only had to check to this figure as the next highest vote-getter was Josh Kennedy on 19.
The only situation I can find that may affect who gets the medal is where Richmond played Essendon in Round 8. Brett Deledio got the 3 votes, Brett Stanton the 2 and Jobe Watson the 1. Looking at some of the stats you could maybe think Trent Cotchin was 4th or 5th best on ground but that would be a ridiculous way to award a medal, expecting an umpire to remember how someone played over 4 years ago.

I find myself agreeing with the journos who are saying the medal should just be voided for that year.
5AA had an article on Social Media that Scott Thompson should win it if they void every vote Essendon got in Brownlow that year!
kevin-hart-wtf-face.jpg

5AA had an article on Social Media that Scott Thompson should win it if they void every vote Essendon got in Brownlow that year!
View attachment 310429

I think that involves voiding all votes from Essendon games in 2012, which is an utterly stupid proposition.

Soccer is played in a separate season to AFL. They aren't really fighting at all.

I don't think the AFL will lose it's support, the quality could be affected but people won't notice if we lose a 5% in quality across the league.

Not to mention soccer will always suffer from the fact that the best players will be playing elsewhere.

If you don't care much about going to games, its probably about as easy to follow an EPL (or Bundesliga or Serie A or whatever else) team right now as an A League team.

to me the A-league is the AFL if every team was the Gold Coast Suns or GWS. there is way too much football around the world to care about it.

Apart from voiding the 2012 medal, the two options that have been put forward are :
1. Award medals to the second place getters, Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin or
2. Re-award the votes in the games involving Essendon

The latter seems very complicated but fortunately isn't as the players who were within reach of the medal were awarded the votes for those games, and in some cases Essendon players received no votes for those games at all. There was not one case where someone who had polled at least 23 votes would have got any more votes by Essendon's votes being re-awarded. I only had to check to this figure as the next highest vote-getter was Josh Kennedy on 19.
The only situation I can find that may affect who gets the medal is where Richmond played Essendon in Round 8. Brett Deledio got the 3 votes, Brett Stanton the 2 and Jobe Watson the 1. Looking at some of the stats you could maybe think Trent Cotchin was 4th or 5th best on ground but that would be a ridiculous way to award a medal, expecting an umpire to remember how someone played over 4 years ago.

I find myself agreeing with the journos who are saying the medal should just be voided for that year.

The thought of Sam Mitchell and Cotchin winning medal's makes me sick!

Some very salient points in this article from The Guardian.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ver-brownlow-medal-masks-afls-policy-failings

"...Watson reached a decision that should not have been his to begin with, but rather one the AFL appeared unwilling or incapable of making – despite being able to use the cover of being a signatory to the world anti-doping code. You can’t help but feel had Watson held his ground, the AFL would have outsourced the decision to AFL fans through an online poll, proudly brought to you by its official sponsors."

"That the AFL asked Watson to make a case to keep the Brownlow is yet another example of an administration that’s sick of its burden..."

"So with the Brownlow returned, and the playing bans served, the supplements saga has largely been drawn to a close and it is Watson who is the only actor in this drama to have enhanced his reputation. Though the sad fact is that it still has a way to play yet, and will not be over until Watson and his 33 team-mates know once and for all exactly what they were injected with."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ver-brownlow-medal-masks-afls-policy-failings

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=att&season=2016-17
With cricket on the slide - attendance is going up.

I am going to take my son to a United game this year for first time, so will see how I rate it.....

I've gone a few times with mates and, to be honest, at the bigger games the spectacle (excitement, crowd participation, etc) is awesome and right up there with many of the Port games I've been to at Adelaide Oval *ducks head*

The difference is I have no "skin in the game" so to speak with Adelaide United, as I do with Port. So the emotion simply isnt there. When a second Adelaide side comes in, I might actively support them, or get on board a bit more with AU, but I simply refuse to follow a side solely because they're the only team in town.

Watson returning the Brownlow voluntarily sure did make it easy for the AFL. Assuming that's how it happened of course.
I find the wobblers draw each and every f**cking year far more distasteful than this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some very salient points in this article from The Guardian.

"...Watson reached a decision that should not have been his to begin with, but rather one the AFL appeared unwilling or incapable of making – despite being able to use the cover of being a signatory to the world anti-doping code. You can’t help but feel had Watson held his ground, the AFL would have outsourced the decision to AFL fans through an online poll, proudly brought to you by its official sponsors."

"That the AFL asked Watson to make a case to keep the Brownlow is yet another example of an administration that’s sick of its burden..."

"So with the Brownlow returned, and the playing bans served, the supplements saga has largely been drawn to a close and it is Watson who is the only actor in this drama to have enhanced his reputation. Though the sad fact is that it still has a way to play yet, and will not be over until Watson and his 33 team-mates know once and for all exactly what they were injected with."

Yeah, what are McLachlan, Evans, Keane and the rest of them getting paid for?

It's like a spineless government department where people keep getting promoted based purely on how long they've been rusted into the chair.

Who approved the Crows Origin guernsey?

- Oh... some guy I guess?

Can we have replacements for Gus and Paddy?

- Um, lemme... lemme ask like, Collingwood and and your crosstown rival. Yeah look, they've said no.

Cheeses.

Unfortunately the GWS are the AFL's version of Marcia Brady so it won't happen.
The rest of us a just Jan.
Marcia, Marcia Marcia

It's not just GWS in handing out sanctions, the AFL are wet as water. When the cows were taken out of the draft for Tippettgate they just traded Vince for the pick 23 they needed, got Eddie Betts as a free agent and traded for James Podsiadly as a stop gap. If the AFL thought they needed a punishment they should not have allowed them to do any of those things.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't taken off since the AFL announced no penalty for GWS. How can they justify this? Clubs are responsible for their rouge employees. How else can they be brought to account? If clubs can say "sorry, but James Hird didn't keep to our guidelines " how can they ever be punished.

A very dangerous precedent.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't taken off since the AFL announced no penalty for GWS. How can they justify this? Clubs are responsible for their rouge employees. How else can they be brought to account? If clubs can say "sorry, but James Hird didn't keep to our guidelines " how can they ever be punished.

A very dangerous precedent.

Hardly a precedent. The AFLs recent history of punishing clubs has been wet lettuce tier. The way Melbourne got off for tanking, despite a governance failure (lol) is another example.

They simply don't punish hard enough, clubs will continue to * around until the AFL as an organization is actually worth respecting and fearing.

Gill and the board are a bunch of old school muppets without an ounce of courage. Don't expect any decisions and to focus on guarding the status quo. Like in corporate world, until you inject youth into leadership it stagnates

Yes, just remember the top up player fiasco from last season, he had to ask the other clubs opinions to come to a conclusion. That should tell everything you need to know about him.

Nothing but a gutless piece of work!

Hardly a precedent. The AFLs recent history of punishing clubs has been wet lettuce tier. The way Melbourne got off for tanking, despite a governance failure (lol) is another example.

They simply don't punish hard enough, clubs will continue to **** around until the AFL as an organization is actually worth respecting and fearing.
Just needs to wait to a 'wrong' club does something. Vic clubs and the AFL's baby so far. If a Port, Freo etc does something watch for the ton of bricks to crash on them.

With Watson handing back the medal, how can the next person in the votes get the medal. If Watson had won the Brownlow and decided not to show up and accept the medal, would they give it to the runner up? Giving the medal to the runner up when it is handed back as compared to Watson being made ineligible is invalid. The runners up should not be recognised as Brownlow medal winners until the AFL declares Watson ineligible.

Has he been declared ineligible?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back