P76

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rooch lets rip

Sacrilege! ABBA is timeless and still all class. I'd say AAMI is more like a P70 or a safari suit. :p
P76 Andre. Either you aren't 50+, or you are 60+ and senility is setting in.

19leylandp76_m_m.jpg

worst car ever made in the history of the world

^best boot ever though - can fit a 44 gallon drum in there. I have no idea why I know this

Because it was the only redeeming feature that car had and the only one ever mentioned about the P76.

Because it was the only redeeming feature that car had and the only one ever mentioned about the P76.

Many years ago I worked with a old bloke who admitted some responsibility for what passed for quality control on the P76.

Sacrilege! ABBA is timeless and still all class. I'd say AAMI is more like a P70 or a safari suit. :p
When ABBA came to Australia in 1977 they made that awful movie with some journo (played by Robert Hughes, who recently has been accused of being a very naughty boy) chasing them all over Oz trying to get an interview which was really just a big ABBA promotion. When Leyland were launching the P76 they had trouble getting advertising time on the TV networks so they made a move starring Ray Barret, Noel Ferrier and a P76 and managed to get it to be broadcast on a couple of the major networks to coincide with the launch. I believe there still are copies of this movie around on Beta video.

Maybe that is what the club needs to do to counter this negativity from Rucci. Make a telemovie in which a small group of Port supporters expose a "fictitious" journalist for making up stories. If done correctly it could be a very good way to market the PAFC. :cool:

I worked with a bloke in the late 70's to early 80's who drove a P76 and claimed it was the best car ever made. It won the Wheels Magazine car of the year in 1973. :eek:

As others have said, its best asset was its boot. :eek:

Like the movie idea wharfie :thumbsu:

We could get someone like Lyle Lovett to play Rucci :eek: surely he wouldn't cost too much but would be well enough known to cause some interest.

Anyhow, the best asset of the P76 was the aluminium v8. Car got a bad rep and was definitely not as bad as most make it out to be. But def an ugly look IMO.

Does Rucci have a P76 boot type asset that he can market??

I always wondered apart from farmers, who needed to carry a 44 gallon drum in their boot? I have long wondered if it was code for carrying a couple of 18 gallon kegs, but they weren't allowed to say that in their ads. When the P76 was launched you were limited to taking a slab of beer to a shield or test cricket match - per person - per day.

So what is Rucci's one - Leyland P76 boot type - asset??

.... Anyhow, the best asset of the P76 was the aluminium v8. .....
The V8 was an improvement on the Rover V8 of the time and wasn't a bad engine. It was the V8 model that won Wheels magazine Car of the year. What was the best asset of the straight 6 model?

..... So what is Rucci's one - Leyland P76 boot type - asset??
Overall I don't believe Rucci is that bad a journo in the scheme of things and occasionally writes some good articles. Writing for a News Limited tabloid he must get a bit of pressure to write the type of sensationalist articles like this that supposedly sell papers.

I always wondered apart from farmers, who needed to carry a 44 gallon drum in their boot?
Before oil went through the roof maybe they were planning an export model for the US. I can imagine with all that boot room it being a good choice for mobsters. :p

Ah, not yet 40+ so only know the P76 from its 'legend' :p
The P76 was quite advanced for it's time and as you see with today's cars the cut off boot is the way they are now , was just to much for Australia in the 70s.
I went and seen ABBA at footy park, the dark haired one was heaps better than the blonde in real life:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before oil went through the roof maybe they were planning an export model for the US. I can imagine with all that boot room it being a good choice for mobsters. :p

When I arrived in Oz in 1979 I was looking for a biggish car and was talked into taking a P76 for a test drive.

The boot was indeed impressive. Could fit 7 bodies in there I reckon, maybe 8 if you chopped the last one up :)

Anyway, a km down the road it stalled and I couldn't restart it. Rang the car yard and they sent out a tow truck. Ended up buying an HQ from another yard which was pretty much what I was after anyway.

When Leyland were launching the P76 they had trouble getting advertising time on the TV networks so they made a move starring Ray Barret, Noel Ferrier and a P76 and managed to get it to be broadcast on a couple of the major networks to coincide with the launch. I believe there still are copies of this movie around on Beta video.

The Carmakers
also starred a young Nick Tate.

The movie starred Ray Barret and Noel Ferrier amongst others and was filmed completly in secret at locations in Australia and Leyland's plant in Zetland Sydney. The storyline was a comedy mix between James Bond and The Pink Panther. The resultant movie was listed as a "light comedy" and aired almost simultaneously on most Australian networks before anyone realized it was basically a huge ad for Leyland . There were some very angry people in the T.V. world that night. The movie was only shown once.
[Source: Leyland P76 Owners club of Victoria]

Sounds almost as bad as The FJ Holden (1977) which featured a very young Sigrid Thornton, Tony Barry, Maggie Kirkpatrick, Gary Waddell and of, course...

Frankie J. Holden.

A mate of mine from the very old days had a V8 P76, it was an 'adventure' each time I had a ride in it.

I swear the engine came from a Sherman tank, it was nigh on impossible to hear the radio clearly when the motor was on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back