Pace through the middle

Remove this Banner Ad

In sprints he is one of the quickest in the AFL.

I think they were asking for clips of Henry. How was Cameron's race? Blew the start, caught up, then stopped trying.

Here is some data from the last few years.

Hamling is actually one of our fastest players. If you looked at the fastest 5-10 players per club, we'd be right up there. And that's after losing Hill and Weller. The problem is most of them are injured/depth/developing.

Some of these Telstra tracker top speeds seem a bit weird though. One year Brad Hill was 3rd at Freo, and the next year he was 1st in the whole competition.

My vote goes to Cameron just based visually on who uses speed the best.

Pre season seem to consist more of who won the 2km for example etc the club needs to have who won the 100m. Would be way more interesting.The comp is all about speed. It’s good to have guys that can run out 10km but short spurts of pace is just as important

I think it is footy smarts we need to see more of from Henry anyway. Pace is always useful, but Colyer hitting the ball at pace but unable to grab always made me cringe (he has improved which is pretty amazing at his age).
I think we have seen plenty of footy smarts from Henry, it's not getting his hands on the ball often enough that is the problem...

Last edited:
Footy smarts seems pretty broad imo, includes what you do when you have it too.

Yes I would say that I use that term to include what you do with it as much as finding the ball, and for forwards and backs, where you position yourself, and for midfielders defending, what they choose to do when they don't have the ball. It is like IQ and EQ; totally meaningless until you define the measuring stick and even then you will get people that will get good scores and still be totally useless because the measuring stick is useless.

show me a clip of him showing this pace.

too four… nah. Western - colyer - Brayshaw - switta and Freddy all have him covered. I would think walker, crowden, Logue and a couple of others have him covered as well. We don’t have combine info (that I could find) for Henry so it may just be that he is unfit and therefore not able to use the pace mentioned.

Having said that, even if he is only above average pace which is what I’m saying (hope I am wrong btw as it is good for the club) if he is evasive it is just as valuable.
Sometimes speed, pace, call it what you like is in the ye of the beholder. It is how you can evade and not be caught that makes speed as much as actual running pace.
Look at Maurice Rioli, not fast by any means but, seldom caught with the ball. Not putting Henry in that catergory... yet. But he will be a very elusive player with games under his belt.
He has football smarts. Knows where to be and how to get the ball. Something that can't be taught.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pace in different positions are not equal.

I like tall defenders with pace, and it is almost essential for all smalls. But Fyfe and Mundy are not fast, and don't need to be .

Pearce, Hamling, Logue and Chapman all have some pace which gives our defence a fair bit of upside.

I used to worry that Onions was going to be too slow, but haven't seen that much. It could be an area opposition try to exploit as we develop.

Sometimes speed, pace, call it what you like is in the ye of the beholder. It is how you can evade and not be caught that makes speed as much as actual running pace.
Look at Maurice Rioli, not fast by any means but, seldom caught with the ball. Not putting Henry in that catergory... yet. But he will be a very elusive player with games under his belt.
He has football smarts. Knows where to be and how to get the ball. Something that can't be taught.

So pretty much what I said in the last sentence of my post... we agree.

Tom Cole most likely to trip over himself.

Josh Rotham most likely to do a Forrest Gump.

show me a clip of him showing this pace.

too four… nah. Western - colyer - Brayshaw - switta and Freddy all have him covered. I would think walker, crowden, Logue and a couple of others have him covered as well. We don’t have combine info (that I could find) for Henry so it may just be that he is unfit and therefore not able to use the pace mentioned.

Having said that, even if he is only above average pace which is what I’m saying (hope I am wrong btw as it is good for the club) if he is evasive it is just as valuable.
Sorry but his pace is on display all the time. Not sure what are watching. It's hard to find any isolated footage of him play at afl level. But there's also his draft profile you can look at. https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/liam-henry/

Sorry but his pace is on display all the time. Not sure what are watching. It's hard to find any isolated footage of him play at afl level. But there's also his draft profile you can look at. https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/liam-henry/

I will wait and see how he goes in the Sprint... in the very first highlight the WA player catches up to him and applies a shepherd for him. I am not saying he isn't above average pace. I am saying I haven't seen the 'pace to burn' examples. The profile focuses first on 'class and skill' which is a positive. I am saying I have not seen express, pace to burn, burn off opponents pace from him. Maybe it is a fitness thing but we haven't been able to find a highlight and those WA highlights don't demonstrate it either. They do show someone who is quick and has good skills. Which I think he has mostly shown at AFL level, although his kicking has been hit and miss. He is a very good kick early in games so it may be a fitness/fatigue thing. I hope I am wrong and this pace to burn is seen in the sprint and in games for a long time to come.

Petrolsmelly from WCE will win. I like the pi$$ take with Luke Ryan.

Ryan was in our top 5 in 2020 for top speed (although that might be more an indictment on the rest). Who knows how he will go over 100m.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes wins this race, out of the entrants he has the closest physique to an Olympic sprinter, and has hit a similar top speed on the Telstra tracker to the likes of Cameron, Rohan, etc.

A piss take was that year we put Haselby in the GF sprint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back