ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
So I've decided that next year I'm taking the missus to one of the pacific islands. I've started doing research on all the countries and islands out in the big blue ocean, and I was hoping for some first hand info from the people of BF.

I'm particularly interested in the Soloman Islands (WWII sites, low tourism traffic), Tonga (known for friendly hospitality, very laid back and never fallen under colonial rule) & Samoa (same as Tonga). Vanuatu with it's Volcanos has also caught my eye.

I'm not necessarily looking for couple hot spots as all these places have beach views to die for, and the gf and I prefer to actually get out and about on holidays.

Any first hand info BF?

I went to Fiji for my honeymoon last year. We spent a week on 3 different islands in the Yasawa region and it was absolutely stunning. There's snorkelling, diving, kayaking, hiking, village visits etc so plenty to do--or plenty of not doing anything if that's your bag. After that we had a week at a resort on Denarau island. Beautiful, but don't bother going to Fiji if that's where you're going to spend your whole trip.

I've been to quite a few Pacific Islands, and the dream has always been to get a decent sized yacht and spend two years cruising the Pacific.

Last year went to the Cook Islands for the first time, and without doubt Aitutaki is the most beautiful lagoon in the world. The people are incredibly friendly, the water is unbelievable and you can go off to your own little island for the day if you want.

We met some Americans who had been to Bora Bora the previous year and said Aitutaki kills it - "this is what we thought Bora Bora would be like".

We had an overwater bungalow, but the was incredibly expensive $1,000 a night. There are some cheap places, so it would pay to do some research. I made an enquiry just recently about a 3 month stay and we can get a house for $250 a week - not flash but you can see there's a wide range of options.

You will need to fly via Rarotonga, which is an interesting place but suffers a bit with petty crime due to low employment. There is no crime on Aitutaki we were assured and I would believe that.

Anyway, good luck with your travels, I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you go. Let me know if you want any more info on the Cooks, and make sure you google Aitutaki :)

ioppolo

my brother and i and our wives went on a cruise to PNG and a few of the islands in milne bay, absolutely sensational. snorkeling was fantastic and it was like a trip back in time to see how the natives live on these little islands. unfortunately IMO this traditional lifestyle will disappear in a relatively short period of time as the western cruse ships/tourists corrupt their culture. get in quick.

my brother and i and our wives went on a cruise to PNG and a few of the islands in milne bay, absolutely sensational. snorkeling was fantastic and it was like a trip back in time to see how the natives live on these little islands. unfortunately IMO this traditional lifestyle will disappear in a relatively short period of time as the western cruse ships/tourists corrupt their culture. get in quick.
No cannibalism?

No cannibalism?
no although it was still going on as late as the 1960s apparently. but we did go to skull cave.
90286287.jpg

Back