Lifestyle Paddocks and Plates - Share your Garden and Kitchen Tips and Pics 🌱🍑🥬🌶

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait...You have a magical tree that makes frozen berries?
Are you Elsa?

Looks good BTW :)
I just stare at them and they go ice cold and drop off the tree 👍🏻
Works with hubby so I thought I’d try it on the cherries too.

Made a kick arse börek yesterday, and am eating it again tonight.

It weighed nearly 1.8kg whole.

Stretched filo filled with chicken, mushroom and cheese. My lord.

Aesthetically, it looked terrible, but was the opposite in flavour.
I love borek! I make a cheese version but it’s called a ‘gibanica’

I’ve never eaten bread and butter pudding, first job was at Sizzler and the look at smell put me off it but from what you described I think I’d love it

No comparison

B&P pud is best made at home to specific tastes

I wouldn't order it out

Anyone with a Fig Tree still bearing fruit or with access to some can pig out big time. Halve the fruit lengthways, lightly brush with olive, grind over black pepper and wrap in strips of prosciutto - great on the barby or roasted in the oven until the pork is crispy and the figs are molten and caramelising.

Anyone with a Fig Tree still bearing fruit or with access to some can pig out big time. Halve the fruit lengthways, lightly brush with olive, grind over black pepper and wrap in strips of prosciutto - great on the barby or roasted in the oven until the pork is crispy and the figs are molten and caramelising.
Sounds nice but I prefer them straight off the tree or with a bit of brie. My daughter has a huge tree but we’ve stripped as much as possible and the bats got the rest. Huge bats coming every night, was awesome.

Sounds nice but I prefer them straight off the tree or with a bit of brie. My daughter has a huge tree but we’ve stripped as much as possible and the bats got the rest. Huge bats coming every night, was awesome.

Damn bats. Buy her some netting for next season. Yep great with cheese or in salads. A friend makes a yum tarte tatin with a few figs in with the apples.

Here's something I do in the kitchen when cooking potatoes.

1. Slice potatoes as they are into ~1.5cm-2cm slices.
  2. Boil them until you can almost push through the potato slice with a fork. Not too soft otherwise they'll fall apart
  3. On a large flat roasting tray add a bit of oil, maybe just enough to cover the base but not too much that the slices are swimming in oil. This is the experimental part as some people recommend pre-heating the oil but doing this seems to burn and blacken the seasonings
  4. Add salt and garlic powder to the oil. Just a small layer and even ground kosher salt can work. This way when the slices cook, they absorb the oil AND the seasonings so you don't need to season them afterwards as they're already infused
  5. Oven @ ~180C until crispy then put them onto a plate with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. The side of the slice that was in the oil will be a dark brownish colour and make a solid kind of sound when tapped
  6. bon appétit

Will cook them tomorrow night

I just stare at them and they go ice cold and drop off the tree 👍🏻
Works with hubby so I thought I’d try it on the cherries too.
Liz...Is that you Babe??
Should have told me you're on BF too...And a Super Mod to boot!!!

Can you do the school run tomorrow hun, I have an early meeting.

#Liz is actual Wife

Last edited:
LOL.

My old man is really getting on now (80) and he called me up the other day to tell me that quelli bastardo ucelli were pigging out on his figs.

He was livid.

I’m like, “Dad, chill, I’ll put the nets on when I come around”. Then mum started yelling at him in the background for bothering me with trivial s**t whilst I was busy at work.

I wish I was recording the conversation and could replay it to everyone with subtitles, it was some of the funniest stuff I’d heard in ages.

All because of the fig trees :tearsofjoy:

Here's something I do in the kitchen when cooking potatoes.

1. Slice potatoes as they are into ~1.5cm-2cm slices.
  2. Boil them until you can almost push through the potato slice with a fork. Not too soft otherwise they'll fall apart
  3. On a large flat roasting tray add a bit of oil, maybe just enough to cover the base but not too much that the slices are swimming in oil. This is the experimental part as some people recommend pre-heating the oil but doing this seems to burn and blacken the seasonings
  4. Add salt and garlic powder to the oil. Just a small layer and even ground kosher salt can work. This way when the slices cook, they absorb the oil AND the seasonings so you don't need to season them afterwards as they're already infused
  5. Oven @ ~180C until crispy then put them onto a plate with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. The side of the slice that was in the oil will be a dark brownish colour and make a solid kind of sound when tapped
  6. bon appétit

Will cook them tomorrow night
Photos ploise 😍

I make my roast potatos similar to this, boil them, squash them down, brush with olive oil and rosemary. Roast hot oven.

Photos ploise 😍

I make my roast potatos similar to this, boil them, squash them down, brush with olive oil and rosemary. Roast hot oven.

Photos as promised. These were in for 60mins @ 180 and roughly 1.5cm. If only photos had a share taste option.

20210304_171700.jpg
20210304_184731.jpg
20210304_184809.jpg
20210304_184836.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They look awesome, I’m gonna try them like that maybe Sunday for family 😃

I hope they turn out just as well! You may not be able to stop the requests for them rolling in either.

The little splits are deliberate so the oil gets in there and cooks them from the middle. When putting them in the oil for the first time, I like to flip them so both sides are coated.

Last edited:
I hope they turn out just as well! You may not be able to stop the requests for them rolling in either.

The little splits are deliberate so the oil gets in there and cooks them from the middle. When putting them in the oil for the first time, I like to flip them so both sides are coated.
Gem, thank you 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 I love trying other peoples ways
I’ll even tell my family ‘someone from Bigfooty gave me this method’ 😃

I don't peel my spuds, even for mash. I just give them a good wash, scrub and dry off.

For roasting I halve or third the spud lengthways. My tiny trick roasting trick is to put parallel cutss in the spuds on the skin side half through. I do this roughly a mm apart. Chuck in olive oil or duck fat, a few smashed garlic cloves, a few sprigs of rosemary, salt and cracked pepper. Around an hour on 180 as Riviat suggested.

Have experimented a couple of times with the rind off a pork hock saved from a soup. Have dried off the skin and then cut it into fine strips, rolled them in cracked pepper and chucked them in with the spuds.

35 minutes to go and I will be sampling my chilli jam thanks to Elton Johns Wig recipe, sooo looking forward to this, may have chucked a little slither of Carolina reaper in there to give it a kick

35 minutes to go and I will be sampling my chilli jam thanks to Elton Johns Wig recipe, sooo looking forward to this, may have chucked a little slither of Carolina reaper in there to give it a kick
Oooooo most excellent 👍🏻

I don't peel my spuds, even for mash. I just give them a good wash, scrub and dry off.

For roasting I halve or third the spud lengthways. My tiny trick roasting trick is to put parallel cutss in the spuds on the skin side half through. I do this roughly a mm apart. Chuck in olive oil or duck fat, a few smashed garlic cloves, a few sprigs of rosemary, salt and cracked pepper. Around an hour on 180 as Riviat suggested.

Have experimented a couple of times with the rind off a pork hock saved from a soup. Have dried off the skin and then cut it into fine strips, rolled them in cracked pepper and chucked them in with the spuds.
Yeah I never peel spuds, just wash.

The most nutritious part of a spud is in its skin
When you grow them yourself they are so different too, the texture and feel of the skin is soft and thin, the skin doesn’t bother you at all. Shop pototoes are quite leathery. I grow 2 varieties, Kipfler and Kennebec which covers every use, the kipfler is all I use for Croatian potato salad and I do peel them for that.

95938B3C-5C8B-4FC6-BE04-3CC973DF4D0E.jpeg

Potatoes, onion and parsley all from my garden.

My son in law makes a crazy good Czech potatoe salad thats takes him all day. His is creamy and has celeriac in it.

When you grow them yourself they are so different too, the texture and feel of the skin is soft and thin, the skin doesn’t bother you at all. Shop pototoes are quite leathery. I grow 2 varieties, Kipfler and Kennebec which covers every use, the kipfler is all I use for Croatian potato salad and I do peel them for that.

View attachment 1070763

Potatoes, onion and parsley all from my garden.
It’s amazing how homegrown tastes so much better. We know a potato farmer up my way and his spuds are soooo good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back