Lifestyle Paddocks and Plates - Share your Garden and Kitchen Tips and Pics 🌱🍑🥬🌶

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi I'm not moving in for 2 weeks I'll report back then!
Oh right, by the time you get the beds organised and good soil and growing matter in them it will probably be almost time for Spring planting!
Depends what condition and soil the previous people left it in.

Hello all. Not much to report. My body is better this week so I am up to doing some cooking (and posting). I am not a huge lamb fan but was inspired by Elton Johns Wig amazing lamb recipe from April. I am however a massive fan of shanks and will try Riviat curry treatment, tho I will keep the bone in.

I am a massive fan of pork belly and ribs and have heaps of means to cook them - French but also different Asian cuisines. At the Butcher's this am I spied some Lamb belly with the ribs in.

Of course you buy something different, stagger home and then think wtf. Go to google (as a break from not chortling to myself while reading the Carlton and Pie Board punters - poor fans!). Nothing inspired, other than I have realised it is a two day event

Step 1 The rub

* Zest of lemon and juice, chopped rosemary and mint, lots of black pepper and some salt, few dashes of Worstershire, Apple Cider Vinegar and some white plonk. DONE

* Scored the fat side roughly as an all thumbs giant might try to 'pineapple' a calamari tube and rubbed it in - will stand covered at room temp for a few hours. DONE

Step 2 Brown off and chuck into slow cooker. Will do heaps of onions and garlic with some white wine, tomato, vegie stock and maybe some star anise.

Step 3 After 4-5 hours when close but not falling off the bone, take out belly and when cooled enough slide bones out but try to keep shape. Strain the liquid several times. When room temp, put both in the fridge overnight.

Tomorrow

* skim off from the stock what I expect will be heaps of lamb fat and dispose of in the bin. (Poor Garbos)
* slow simmer the stock to half its size, and separately simmer a white wine reduction maybe with finely chopped fennel - strain, strain and then combine
* Take Lamb belly out of fridge and depending how neat I was deboning will cut into further portion size services. If untidy (most likely) I will just keep in their two halves.
* Will crisp up in a hot pan, drain that off add a some butter and then add some reduced stock/sauce.
* No idea what to serve with - a mash of some kind (spuds/white beans) maybe with lemon and some oil in the spuds instead of milk and butter and some preserved lemon in the beans + some steamed greens.

Hello all. Not much to report. My body is better this week so I am up to doing some cooking (and posting). I am not a huge lamb fan but was inspired by Elton Johns Wig amazing lamb recipe from April. I am however a massive fan of shanks and will try Riviat curry treatment, tho I will keep the bone in.

I am a massive fan of pork belly and ribs and have heaps of means to cook them - French but also different Asian cuisines. At the Butcher's this am I spied some Lamb belly with the ribs in.

Of course you buy something different, stagger home and then think wtf. Go to google (as a break from not chortling to myself while reading the Carlton and Pie Board punters - poor fans!). Nothing inspired, other than I have realised it is a two day event

Step 1 The rub

* Zest of lemon and juice, chopped rosemary and mint, lots of black pepper and some salt, few dashes of Worstershire, Apple Cider Vinegar and some white plonk. DONE

* Scored the fat side roughly as an all thumbs giant might try to 'pineapple' a calamari tube and rubbed it in - will stand covered at room temp for a few hours. DONE

Step 2 Brown off and chuck into slow cooker. Will do heaps of onions and garlic with some white wine, tomato, vegie stock and maybe some star anise.

Step 3 After 4-5 hours when close but not falling off the bone, take out belly and when cooled enough slide bones out but try to keep shape. Strain the liquid several times. When room temp, put both in the fridge overnight.

Tomorrow

* skim off from the stock what I expect will be heaps of lamb fat and dispose of in the bin. (Poor Garbos)
* slow simmer the stock to half its size, and separately simmer a white wine reduction maybe with finely chopped fennel - strain, strain and then combine
* Take Lamb belly out of fridge and depending how neat I was deboning will cut into further portion size services. If untidy (most likely) I will just keep in their two halves.
* Will crisp up in a hot pan, drain that off add a some butter and then add some reduced stock/sauce.
* No idea what to serve with - a mash of some kind (spuds/white beans) maybe with lemon and some oil in the spuds instead of milk and butter and some preserved lemon in the beans + some steamed greens.
My brother in law had a Phillipino girlfriend for a while and she made pork adobo, it was sooo good and pork belly is perfect for it

My brother in law had a Phillipino girlfriend for a while and she made pork adobo, it was sooo good and pork belly is perfect for it

Yep .. it is a fine feed.

Boy oh boy.

I don't know how many non meat eaters there are in here. If you are, no judging, but look away now.

1622429144964.png
1622429196880.png

There is a really superb recipe book called MEAT by Adrian Richardson, who has a bistro in Carlton called La Luna. Not only does it have great recipes, but also goes into different cuts of each meat and what they're good for etc.

A favourite at our house is this amazing Portugese Chicken. Here I've done it with thighs. Also no chilli as we had a young kid who isn't keen on heat. Trust me, the chilli adds a level of wicked, you must have it (Icooked some on the side with the chilli in it). A favourite way is to butterfly the chook and do it whole as well.

Anyway, recipe below. Loads of flavour, this is on high repeat at our house.

Screenshot_20210531-125349_Gallery.jpg

Boy oh boy.

I don't know how many non meat eaters there are in here. If you are, no judging, but look away now.

View attachment 1142290
View attachment 1142291

There is a really superb recipe book called MEAT by Adrian Richardson, who has a bistro in Carlton called La Luna. Not only does it have great recipes, but also goes into different cuts of each meat and what they're good for etc.

A favourite at our house is this amazing Portugese Chicken. Here I've done it with thighs. Also no chilli as we had a young kid who isn't keen on heat. Trust me, the chilli adds a level of wicked, you must have it (Icooked some on the side with the chilli in it). A favourite way is to butterfly the chook and do it whole as well.

View attachment 1142299
Oh I have to make this for my son in law!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d be colder over there than me

Just a nice cool -4 overnight that will only get to 0 by about 9am. The coldest i've ever experienced here was around ~ -8.

Just a nice cool -4 overnight that will only get to 0 by about 9am. The coldest i've ever experienced here was around ~ -8.
Brr , was -2 at work this morning, forgot my jacket so was working outside in a short sleeved shirt and frozen fingers

Brr , was -2 at work this morning, forgot my jacket so was working outside in a short sleeved shirt and frozen fingers

Some over here either can't feel cold or care too much about how they look. Saw someone walking around with denim shorts last week and it made me wrap my jacket around me even tighter. I had the gloves on to prevent frozen fingers.

Some over here either can't feel cold or care too much about how they look. Saw someone walking around with denim shorts last week and it made me wrap my jacket around me even tighter. I had the gloves on to prevent frozen fingers.
That was me.

19218174-87AF-425C-9EC6-7A36FA96F0A2.jpeg

Pain is beauty.

Pain is pneumonia.

Homemade snag rolls and homemade mini arancini.

B8589E5B-A529-4088-B217-0000115A6082.jpeg

Old pic but they usually don’t last long enough to get any happy snaps.

I do a mixture of sausage mince and normal mince for the snosauge rolls, with a few herbs and spices mixed through plus the usual suspects like a bit of grated carrot and some onion.

Dayum.

Boy oh boy.

View attachment 1142290
View attachment 1142291

View attachment 1142299
Adrian Richardson is an outstanding chef. Secret Meat Business, Good Chef Bad Chef, and Boys Weekend where he co-stars with Manu Feildel, Miguel Maestre and Gary Mehigan are all pretty decent shows and are worth a watch.

Boy oh boy.

View attachment 1142290
View attachment 1142291

View attachment 1142299
Adrian Richardson is a bit of a legend. Good bombers man too. I've eaten his food a couple of times and have not been disappointed.

He did the cooking at the Anzac day president's function a few years back where "people were dropping like flies" (according to Eddie Maguire who was there), due to food poisoning and i'm not sure whether he still does it.

That chicken looks good.

Adrian Richardson is a bit of a legend. Good bombers man too. I've eaten his food a couple of times and have not been disappointed.

He did the cooking at the Anzac day president's function a few years back where "people were dropping like flies" (according to Eddie Maguire who was there), due to food poisoning and i'm not sure whether he still does it.

That chicken looks good.
Trying to poison Pies supporters was he?

Smort. Very smort.

Trying to poison Pies supporters was he?

Smort. Very smort.

Found a recipe for a Footy Qooty Calzone you might have fun with. Will try and find it for you. It is a seppo version and the dumbarses keep referring to a Homemade Tomato Sauce as "marinara". Once you get over their ignorance it looked fun. Interested?

Found a recipe for a Footy Qooty Calzone you might have fun with. Will try and find it for you. It is a seppo version and the dumbarses keep referring to a Homemade Tomato Sauce as "marinara". Once you get over their ignorance it looked fun. Interested?
Absolutely. Truth be told I made a calzone today because I had some leftover dough and because calzones are ******* awesome.

I mean, you’ve got homemade sugo with garlic fresh herbs, Romano, parmesan, mozzarella and pecorino because why the hell not, some freshly sliced ham and wow, just wow.

There wasn’t even enough time to take a picture of it, and much like when I make my börek it is not aesthetically pleasing, but the texture and flavour is something else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back