Toast Paddy Dangerfield 250 games

Remove this Banner Ad

When Hawthorn venture down the highway for our first home game of the season, we'll also be celebrating the first player milestone game of the year...

Having racked up 95 games at Geelong after playing 154 at Adelaide, our most recent Brownlow medalist & 3 times Carji Greeves medalist, Paddy Dangerfield will run out for game 250 against the Hawks on Friday 12 June

I'm sure we'll get highlights packages from the club over the next week, but until then this pin image (available for purchase from the a Cats Shop & plenty of other game 250 memorabilia items) will have to suffice
Dangerfield 250 Game Pin

Gets some flak on here, for supposedly:

1. Being a really awful kick at times, both in bombing it with his field kicking and missing some real 'sodas' in front of goal.
2. Playing selfishly on occasions, by not including/involving teammates and not working as hard defensively as he should.
3. Being too 'look at me' off the field, 'proved' by his outspoken nature and his role as AFLPA President.

Personally I have little time for any of these criticisms, as I think there's just enough truth to them to provide a rod for the disenchanted to beat him with, rather than a compelling sense that they are fair encapsulations of what he brings to the GFC.

Overall, I think he has been an absolutely outstanding recruit and we are very privileged to have him playing now for the team he's always loved. His attack on the footy, his unique capacity to recover his feet and dash away from a contest faster than anyone I've ever seen, and his abilities to singlehandedly change a game through the middle or up forward are extremely precious commodities. So, just like the skipper, he cops ridiculous flak from fans of other clubs who would actually be delighted to have him front up for their team.

I really enjoy watching him play, and never doubt that he is wholehearted in wanting to achieve the ultimate success with his beloved Cats before his career winds down. While that might be getting more and more difficult as the years go by, I don't see his appetite for the contest or will to win waning before he eventually hangs them up. And to have players on our list who clearly bleed blue and white suits me just fine, I have to say.

To have played as consistently as he has since joining the club is a real credit to him, and the Brownlow and Carji accolades he has accumulated since 2016 testify to the quality of his contribution. I hope he goes on to smash out well over 300 games in his career (which will mean well more than the necessary 100 to bring his children into the GFC fold) and feel certain that he'll continue to be a pivotal player for us for some years yet.

He's an individual, he's comfortable in his own skin, and he really doesn't appear to take himself half as seriously as some might suggest. Footy generally is all the better for having players of his calibre and charisma involved, and I hope he continues to bring the highlights and the headlines for quite some time to come.

Love your work, Paddy...

Last edited:

1. Being a really awful kick at times, both in bombing it with his field kicking and missing some real 'sodas' in front of goal.
2. Playing selfishly on occasions, by not including/involving teammates and not working as hard defensively as he should.
3. Being too 'look at me' off the field, 'proved' by his outspoken nature and his role as AFLPA President.

Personally I have little time for any of these criticisms, as I think there's just enough truth to them to provide a rod for the disenchanted to beat him with, rather than a compelling sense that they are fair encapsulations of what he brings to the GFC.

Overall, I think he has been an absolutely outstanding recruit and we are very privileged to have him playing now for the team he's always loved. His attack on the footy, his unique capacity to recover his feet and dash away from a contest faster than anyone I've ever seen, and his abilities to singlehandedly change a game through the middle or up forward are extremely precious commodities. So, just like the skipper, he cops ridiculous flak from fans of other clubs who would actually be delighted to have him front up for their team.

I'd say all three are absolutely true.

I also agree about his pace away from a contest, particularly the way he bounces to his feet. Faster than anyone I can remember at that.

I really enjoy watching him play, and never doubt that he is wholehearted in wanting to achieve the ultimate success with his beloved Cats before his career winds down. While that might be getting more and more difficult as the years go by, I don't see his appetite for the contest or will to win waning before he eventually hangs them up. And to have players on our list who clearly bleed blue and white suits me just fine, I have to say.

To have played as consistently as he has since joining the club is a real credit to him, and the Brownlow and Carji accolades he has accumulated since 2016 testify to the quality of his contribution. I hope he goes on to smash out well over 300 games in his career (which will mean well more than the necessary 100 to bring his children into the GFC fold) and feel certain that he'll continue to be a pivotal player for us for some years yet.

He's an individual, he's comfortable in his own skin, and he really doesn't appear to take himself half as seriously as some might suggest. Footy generally is all the better for having players of his calibre and charisma involved, and I hope he continues to bring the highlights and the headlines for quite some time to come.

Love your work, Paddy...
All 3 are true. He can drive you crazy at times.
But also the other things you said are true. He's contested marking too. It's unbelievable and really saves us at times.
Really he's the reason we're playing finals. No one else. Has won us so many games since he got here. Crazy.

But also the other things you said are true. He's contested marking too. It's unbelievable and really saves us at times.
Really he's the reason we're playing finals. No one else. Has won us so many games since he got here. Crazy.
Our kick-out strategy seemingly consists of just the one play - kick short to a bloke in the back pocket, then he bombs it long down the wing hoping for Dangerfield to take a pack mark, which he manages to do extremely consistently. For a midfielder he's as good at it as anyone I've seen.

Hmmm, a big factor no doubt. But I honestly don't think single players make that big a difference anymore. You don't win any games relying on superstars. Like a few years ago when Selwood missed 4 games during the season for us - we won 3 and drew the other.

Hmmm, a big factor no doubt. But I honestly don't think single players make that big a difference anymore. You don't win any games relying on superstars. Like a few years ago when Selwood missed 4 games during the season for us - we won 3 and drew the other.
It's Danger. We saw the natural trajectory we were going before we got him.
One time the coach actually needs to spread for a player. Danger has made him look very good.
From the very first game we got him he won us the game.
Not good enough to win us a flag. He's not Wayne Carey. And he's just not that sort of player anyway. He's an individual player.
But getting to finals. No way without Danger. I don't mean top 2 either, top 8.

It's Danger. We saw the natural trajectory we were going before we got him.
One time the coach actually needs to spread for a player. Danger has made him look very good.
From the very first game we got him he won us the game.
Not good enough to win us a flag. He's not Wayne Carey. And he's just not that sort of player anyway. He's an individual player.
But getting to finals. No way without Danger. I don't mean top 2 either, top 8.

I agree with top 2. But at the same time we've had Stewart and especially Tim Kelly come along too. With the home advantage we've got, they should still make finals. Going to be a very interesting few years coming up though.

I agree with top 2. But at the same time we've had Stewart and especially Tim Kelly come along too. With the home advantage we've got, they should still make finals. Going to be a very interesting few years coming up though.
Good players. But Kelly (I know people don't want to hear it) only half his games were any good. I know some of them were really good.
And people really don't want to hear this, but Stewart is overrated. For such a good kick he rarely takes the game on, and barely ever moves the ball quickly. I know he's really good, but doesn't really get us moving.
Kinda have to do that to be a really great HBF.
In every win since 2016 Danger would be top 5 for is in 90% of them, 95%?
That is f**king phenomenal.
No other player going around in that time has been close to having a bigger influence on a team.
F**k he's even recruiting players now.

Last edited:
Good players. But Kelly (I know people don't want to hear it) only half his games were any good. I know some of them were really good.
And people really don't want to hear this, but Stewart is overrated. For such a good kick he rarely takes the game on, and barely ever moves the ball quickly. I know he's really good, but doesn't really get us moving.
Kinda have to do that to be a really great HBF.
In every win since 2016 Danger would be top 5 for is in 90% of them, 95%?
That is f**king phenomenal.
No other player going around in that time has been close to having a bigger influence on a team.
F**k he's even recruiting players now.

Ha yep that's a separate discussion. And now way should it be happening like that.

Ha yep that's a separate discussion. And now way should it be happening like that.
Hehe, nah it shouldn't. I also remember him getting interviewed about Stanley after the final round against Carlton last year.
It was like WTF? Is he on the match committee too?
He does everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Hawthorn venture down the highway for our first home game of the season, we'll also be celebrating the first player milestone game of the year...

Having racked up 95 games at Geelong after playing 154 at Adelaide, our most recent Brownlow medalist & 3 times Carji Greeves medalist, Paddy Dangerfield will run out for game 250 against the Hawks on Friday 12 June

I'm sure we'll get highlights packages from the club over the next week, but until then this pin image (available for purchase from the a Cats Shop & plenty of other game 250 memorabilia items) will have to suffice
Dangerfield 250 Game Pin

Like with LColbert ... one would expect him to play at least the same if not more at his second club. Only a matter of time till the big 3 0 0. Few could argue the trade cost these days..

Played three Prelims, averages thirty disposals, one and a third goals, six tackles and seven clearances, ALL above his career averages.

Had a few more blokes who "didn't turn up" like him and we may have fared a bit better in some of those matches.
That pretty much put the “ PFD not much chop in the PF” story to bed .
Go Catters

That pretty much put the “ PFD not much chop in the PF” story to bed .
Go Catters

No it doesn’t. Not remotely.

Did you watch last year’s Prelim? Did you see him after half time? In that game he was most definitely “not much chop”.

And his finals record with us is not consistently stellar. He’s had great games, solid games, and outright poor ones.

No it doesn’t. Not remotely.

Did you watch last year’s Prelim? Did you see him after half time? In that game he was most definitely “not much chop”.

And his finals record with us is not consistently stellar. He’s had great games, solid games, and outright poor ones.

So you have gone from not showing up in Prelims back down to he had one bad half of out the 6 halves he has played - and yet statistcally he's averaged 30 touhes, 1.3 goals, 6 tackles and 7 clearance.

Now we are getting closer a real statement of "PFD had some bad footy in a PF" as opposed to "except in the Prelims"

One says he got beaten in and went missing in a 1/2 a prelim... the other suggests he was absent in all of them.

GO Catters

So you have gone from not showing up in Prelims back down to he had one bad half of out the 6 halves he has played - and yet statistcally he's averaged 30 touhes, 1.3 goals, 6 tackles and 7 clearance.

Now we are getting closer a real statement of "PFD had some bad footy in a PF" as opposed to "except in the Prelims"

One says he got beaten in and went missing in a 1/2 a prelim... the other suggests he was absent in all of them.

GO Catters

Do you think he's been a consistent finals performer for us? I don't.

And the only Prelim final of his for us I'd call a good game was against Sydney in 2016. The other two he's been disappointing.

I see Patrick a bit like Gary Hocking you bust a gut 20 odd games in the home and away doing the grunt work coping the hard tags the hard knocks not a minutes peace to make finals then you are expected to step up to another level most likely carrying a niggle or two against the best opposition and star.you need help through the home and away for that to happen,Patrick has been a lone ranger with the Cats some help from Joel but its been Patrick.

I see Patrick a bit like Gary Hocking you bust a gut 20 odd games in the home and away doing the grunt work coping the hard tags the hard knocks not a minutes peace to make finals then you are expected to step up to another level most likely carrying a niggle or two against the best opposition and star.you need help through the home and away for that to happen,Patrick has been a lone ranger with the Cats some help from Joel but its been Patrick.
Yep, you know there's times when he's clearly been injured and you know we're going to make the finals anyway, but he just plays through it.
Wants the Brownlow.
He's been allright in finals, the easy shots at the start of them suck and hurt, but he tries so goddamn hard.
And he has to! At the risk of mistakes cause there's noone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back