Recommitted Paddy Dow [OOC 2023] explored his options, but stayed

Remove this Banner Ad

Very bizarre case with Dow. Still shows traits to say he would be a quality piece somewhere but from what I've seen in the VFL he still has absolutely no outside game. All of his touches are won in close or from getting hit on the run by a good tap. Imo if he does go somewhere he needs to be playing with a dominant tap ruck, Suns come to mind actually. Witts palming it down to him would likely help him get up past that 20-25 disposal mark and start impacting more with his breakaway pace.

When he was played with Dekoning he just couldn't get anywhere near enough of the pill as TDK is just as inconsistent.

Extremely strong player through the hips which is great... but if he's going to stick to being a one dimensional ball winner I think he needs to drastically build up his upper body too. I'm sure he'll be trying his best to develop his outside run and joining in transition ball movement over the off season but you'd think next year will be his last chance to show his wares.
Look he has skills but probably isn’t going to command enough in a trade for the blues, a case of more important to them than whoever might trade for him

If he can tidy up his kicking he could be great on a wing

You want a bloke with no tank and some of the worst skills in the game to play on the wing?

I really hope this is just a pisstake lol.

With his speed and better skills he could make it work

He can barely run out a quarter before gassing out. He does not have the endurance to play the most physically demanding role in football.

I think you seriously overestimate his baseline level of skill. It's non-existent.

Inside mid or bust.

He's getting a game ahead of Phillips Powell, Taylor, Perez, Scott as a midfielder.

We would be wanting to get games into Phillips and Powell as much as possible.

Agree with the other 3. They don’t even play midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With his speed and better skills he could make it work

I don’t think you know how a wing is predominately used these days. He would be gassed by quarter time. He is a poor kick, poor decision maker, lacks endurance and the wing takes him away from his biggest asset, which is around the contest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why is his tank so bad? After a number of seasons should be passable - poor work ethic, poor development or just fundamentally can’t run at all? Or is possible that he’s in age profile where will start to improve / come together as he’ll have the core strength to not need to put in size and just needs to run, run and run over preseason? (Ie Brodie this year?). Seemed to have a better year in vfl despite not showing much at afl this year.

Why is his tank so bad? After a number of seasons should be passable - poor work ethic, poor development or just fundamentally can’t run at all? Or is possible that he’s in age profile where will start to improve / come together as he’ll have the core strength to not need to put in size and just needs to run, run and run over preseason? (Ie Brodie this year?). Seemed to have a better year in vfl despite not showing much at afl this year.
Hes an extremely explosive athlete is why. He actually covers a fair distance most games he plays, somewhere between 14-15kms and occasionally pops up on the distance tracker as top 5 on the ground.. But he loses his power and speed after half time just about every time he plays and becomes very mediocre as soon as he does. Not sure if its fitness or just not pacing himself enough through games, whatever the case he looks like Levi Casboult running around by the 4th qtr.

Funnily enough in his first halves he actually looks unreal some games, will get something like 18-19 touches and 7-8 clearances, yet somehow end the game with 25 and 9-10. He's a bit of a mystery, if he played out games with the power and speed he shows in first halves he would be a very good contributor to most teams, his work around stoppages is strong, his kickings not the best but still much better than it once was and his hands are elite throughout.

A great example of what I talk about, up to half time he's arguably BOG. Then goes almost unsighted in the 2nd half

Hes an extremely explosive athlete is why. He actually covers a fair distance most games he plays, somewhere between 14-15kms and occasionally pops up on the distance tracker as top 5 on the ground.. But he loses his power and speed after half time just about every time he plays and becomes very mediocre as soon as he does. Not sure if its fitness or just not pacing himself enough through games, whatever the case he looks like Levi Casboult running around by the 4th qtr.

Funnily enough in his first halves he actually looks unreal some games, will get something like 18-19 touches and 7-8 clearances, yet somehow end the game with 25 and 9-10. He's a bit of a mystery, if he played out games with the power and speed he shows in first halves he would be a very good contributor to most teams, his work around stoppages is strong, his kickings not the best but still much better than it once was and his hands are elite throughout.

A great example of what I talk about, up to half time he's arguably BOG. Then goes almost unsighted in the 2nd half

Sounds like the perfect player to game the sub rule with.

I get we all rate our own club players higher than others, but he’s never actually had 25 possessions in a game.
He’s had 24 once. At that time he had 5 clearances.

Paddy is a player who will get the ball 15-20 times in an entire game, not a half. In his 63 games he’s had over 20 possessions only 7 times.

Any talk up or Dow would need to be based on what he could potentially do, not his output to date. Which is what we have had with him in this forum for the last two off seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get we all rate our own club players higher than others, but he’s never actually had 25 possessions in a game.
He’s had 24 once. At that time he had 5 clearances.

Paddy is a player who will get the ball 15-20 times in an entire game, not a half. In his 63 games he’s had over 20 possessions only 7 times.

Any talk up or Dow would need to be based on what he could potentially do, not his output to date. Which is what we have had with him in this forum for the last two off seasons.
Correct he isn't a player who gets 30+ at the moment. But he had multiple games last year where he had 17-18 touches at half time including a few 1st qtrs where he had 11-13 touches and a goal. His issue is he dies in the ass after half time nearly every time he plays.

I'm not saying Dow is anything special, more that he's shown that if he could run out games he has enough talent to impact. Unfortunately he's shown that when he's not explosive and fresh he seemingly doesn't have much more to his game outside of breaking away from clearances.

Imo he'll be a good or decent player in a couple more years when his fitness peaks. He still has a lot of strings he'd need to add to his game to ever become an A grader like you'd be hoping he would

I would have Dow at the Cattery I think we could turn him around, give the Blues a token pick for their efforts.
Personally I hope he stays and keeps pushing himself. Has the ability and the smarts of how to play, but hasn't put together the quick thinking/speed of the game and the drive required.

With how everything has gone so far he still keeps trying and hasn't dropped his head yet.

Given enough time I'm sure he will get there - but how long has he got at the top level?

I think Dow will stay as Setterfield is clearly on the trade table.

Cripps, Walsh, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra, Dow, Fisher as our main midfield options.

I could see both going considering acres coming in
Acres will play wing.

Dow only has 1 position and it is midfield and he ain’t that good at it sadly.

I’m sure we will take anything for him.

Unfortunately he has shown very, very little to this point and will have minimal trade value, but he is clearly not rated by the coaching group and we have reasonable depth in his position.

3rd rounder probably does it.

A token pick from North perhaps?
If he’s seeking a trade, there must be at least one club that has expressed interest to his management.

A token pick from North perhaps?
If he’s seeking a trade, there must be at least one club that has expressed interest to his management.
I’ve heard Dow is pretty conflicted.

He’s played in a rubbish side for years and doesn’t want to miss out while things are starting to turn around, but he’s clearly not favoured at the Blues.

His manager would be pushing for a change in clubs to revive his flagging career.

If he’s playing as a full time mid he’s good for 20 touches a game but lacks creativity and doesn’t run defensively.

Likely he moves and plays 50-60 games before others overtake him - similar to when we brought in Sam Kerridge at the start of our rebuild for some immediate midfield support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back